Poorly Belly!!

2 posters

Go down

Poorly Belly!!  Empty Poorly Belly!!

Post by Bellasmellas dad Sun Jul 15 2012, 21:26

First post guys so sorry if a problem such as this has previously been posted, i had a brief look but looking for some fast help if possible!

Bella is almost 11 months old pedigree and has had one or two problems that have required attention from the vet so far (thank god for insurance... or whoever thought of it any way)

Ive noticed she has been slightly 'off' for the last 2 days, She is walking fine as normal and running round as she does but at home she is very lazy compared to usual and a few minutes ago I herd some very strange sounds coming from her stomach!

She doesnt appear to have eaten much if anything today even with fresh food put down, I feed her James Well Beloved biscuits and Arden grange treets with the odd bonio! (Dry diet)

Its hard to tell if she is in discomfort other than the slightly more sleepy than normal and lack of eating.

Has anybody had any of these symptoms before? Or does anybody no of anything I might be able to give her to calm her stomach?

My partner is also due to give birth this week so I want to try get to the bottom of this (even if its just a stomach bug etc) as soon as possible as i did plan on spending Alot of time walking her etc in the next couple of days before our new arrival.

Thanks in advance

Bellas Dad!
Bellasmellas dad
Bellasmellas dad
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bella
Dog(s) Ages : 11 Months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Poorly Belly!!  Empty Re: Poorly Belly!!

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 21:38

Hi & welcome.

Is she drinking ok? Does she have the runs at all?

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellasmellas dad Sun Jul 15 2012, 21:40

I havent witnessed her having a drink and have put fresh water down.

She has had pretty consistent solid stools all her life with us, she has had the runs once or twice when other people have given her treats which is why I try stick to her diet as much as possible.

I have been doing a little bit of work in the house today as well, could that have unsettled her stomach at all??
Bellasmellas dad
Bellasmellas dad

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 21:48

What kind of work? Drills etc? Stress can frighten them but i don't think it would make them have stomach noises.

Any chance she may have eating something she shouldnt have like a ball or a nappy?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 21:51

It could well be stress related. There will be a certain atmosphere at the moment - waiting for the little'un to be born - and if you're doing things around the house as well, she might be feeling quite anxious.

You could try a little Lavender Essential Oil. Just put a tint drop on her head & another on her chest. Plus a couple of tiny drops on her bedding. Lavendar has a calming effect which may help.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 21:53

Yes thats good advice. Also prior to the baby coming it would be a good idea to let your dog get used to the baby things, like set out the rocking chair thingy and the changing mats and nappy things lol (im sorry i don't have kids i have no idea what things are needed or called)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 21:58

Will your oh be having the baby in hospital? If so, will she be there a couple of days? If she is, then get a teatowel or cloth of some sort to wrap around the new baby so that its scent is on it, and bring it home for your dog to sniff. Maybe put it in Bella's bed so that she can recognise the scent when you bring the baby home.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellasmellas dad Sun Jul 15 2012, 21:58

She did have a very small bit of uncooked onion when it fell off the chopping board before I could get to it which im reading could be dangerous also!

We have had the cot and babys bedroom all set up for a few months, she had a few wee's in there as a pup! and the babys rocker is up and on display in the room where we spend most of our time. Tried to make it a smooth transition for her but it has been a little hektic today.

I am keeping a very close eye on her for the moment.
Bellasmellas dad
Bellasmellas dad

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellasmellas dad Sun Jul 15 2012, 22:03

Caryll wrote:Will your oh be having the baby in hospital? If so, will she be there a couple of days? If she is, then get a teatowel or cloth of some sort to wrap around the new baby so that its scent is on it, and bring it home for your dog to sniff. Maybe put it in Bella's bed so that she can recognise the scent when you bring the baby home.

Yeah she is going to be having the baby in hospital and we have planned ahead for that (even got some sheets to get the scent for bella and a dog sitter incase I have to stay!)

Bellasmellas dad
Bellasmellas dad

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 22:05

You're doing everything by the book Smile just keep an eye on her she might just be a little anxious. They are very susceptible to the slightest changes in their lives.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 22:10

Well, I think you're doing great! You're far more organised than I was when I had my two kids! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jul 15 2012, 22:13

Sound slike stress to me as well. Have you tried giving her an ice cube so she has some fluids in her system? A good walk might help relax her a bit as well

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Jul 15 2012, 22:14

Bellasmellas dad wrote:She did have a very small bit of uncooked onion when it fell off the chopping board before I could get to it which im reading could be dangerous also!

This could well be the culprit, onion is not good for dogs. What with everything else going on it must all be taking its toll. Can you take some time out to spend with Bella and make some fuss of her too.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellasmellas dad Sun Jul 15 2012, 22:20

Thanks, she is a brilliant dog and we want her to welcome our baby and not feel threatened by it so we have done all we think we can so far!

We generally spend alot of time with her.

A little bit of good news.... A bit of attention from myself and my wife and she has taken her self off outside, had a solid stool and a bite to eat on the way back before picking a toy up for play time! Feeling more positive now, see what he morning brings!!

Thanks for the advice, Mucho appreciated!
Bellasmellas dad
Bellasmellas dad

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellasmellas dad Sun Jul 15 2012, 22:21

kathytake2 wrote:
Bellasmellas dad wrote:She did have a very small bit of uncooked onion when it fell off the chopping board before I could get to it which im reading could be dangerous also!

This could well be the culprit, onion is not good for dogs. What with everything else going on it must all be taking its toll. Can you take some time out to spend with Bella and make some fuss of her too.

She definatly gets enough fuss made of her, a very spoilt one indeed!! lol.
Bellasmellas dad
Bellasmellas dad

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Jul 15 2012, 22:35

Bellasmellas dad wrote:

A little bit of good news.... A bit of attention from myself and my wife and she has taken her self off outside, had a solid stool and a bite to eat on the way back before picking a toy up for play time! Feeling more positive now, see what he morning brings!!

Sounds like she may be feeling a little better already, hope all goes well.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Bellasmellas dad Mon Jul 16 2012, 10:01

Seems back to normal almost this morning! still not had anything to eat but back to her lively self! will try not to panick too much next time she gets stomach ache.....
Bellasmellas dad
Bellasmellas dad

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 16 2012, 10:47

For the future.......you can get a product called Kaogel online for upset stomachs. It eases any cramps & helps to line the stomach. Denise (a member on here) put me on to it - well worth the price!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down