+3
eskidavies
janey
goldie87
7 posters

Go down

Abandoned pups Empty Abandoned pups

Post by goldie87 Thu Jul 12 2012, 10:05

I don't normally read The Sun but came across this article..

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/features/4424379/The-Sun-visits-hospital-for-abandoned-pets-as-we-launch-Safer-Dogs-Campaign.html
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 9
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Abandoned pups Empty Re: Abandoned pups

Post by janey Thu Jul 12 2012, 10:25

Which I totally agree with. Sad
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 12 2012, 10:33

I still say that, although microchipping is a very good tool for tracing responsible owners when a dog goes missing, it won't make a blind bit of difference to the problem of abandoned dogs. The irresponsible pwners won't bother (and as someone commented after the article, nobody is going to go round checking every dog in the street to make sure it's microchipped), and instead of dumping a dog/pup in rescue, they'll kill it themselves instead, probably most inhumanely.

How is that better?

Back to top Go down

Post by eskidavies Thu Jul 12 2012, 10:40

Fairplay to the hospital director saying that he's fed up of staffies bad rep,and saying that they are actually nice dogs.
eskidavies
eskidavies
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : sox
Dog Gender(s) : bitch
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 12 2012, 10:42

if they do it i hope the wardens they give stronger powers to dont become like power crazy parking wardens abusing there power(which im sure they will)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 12 2012, 10:50

But they won't, and can't, stop everyone in the street who has a dog, so the irresponsible owners/breeders will still be out there.

Also, you'll get an increase of the amount of dogs found dead/dying of cruelly inflicted wounds so that the evil people out there who can no longer leave the dogs at the gates of rescue centres can get rid of them without being identified. Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 12 2012, 11:03

Caryll wrote:But they won't, and can't, stop everyone in the street who has a dog, so the irresponsible owners/breeders will still be out there.

Also, you'll get an increase of the amount of dogs found dead/dying of cruelly inflicted wounds so that the evil people out there who can no longer leave the dogs at the gates of rescue centres can get rid of them without being identified. Sad

if there having a boreing day i would not put it past them to start harasing normal joe public .
they will have new targets that need to be met to justifie there new powers all goverment wants to see is on paper figures .
the measures they are surgesting will do nothing for the dog problem.
total agree caryll waste of time angry

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Jul 12 2012, 12:43

I do recognise the hospital director as David Grant who has appeared on TV before I think.

This could have been better worded : "fearsome Staffordshire bull terrier crosses" Rocky is a Staffy cross and certainly not fearsome at all.

I think the microchipping is in essense a good idea, something has to be done to try to kurb the numbers of dogs being admitted to the rescue centres.

Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Thu Jul 12 2012, 13:03

It is all so sad and seems the normal now the shelters are packed too the brinks with gorgeous staffies and not because they are bad or aggressive dogs they wouldn,t be up for rehoming if they were, but just down too irresponsible and ignorant people, the vet in this articule has done alot around the London area too back the staffy as a breed and has featured alot in articules and tv programs backing the breed, but its a shame they say that alot of the larger staffy types are crossed pitbulls, as this is generally not the case at all, infact you would really find it quite difficult too find a pure breed pit in the UK the articule could turn people off adopting a larger staffy cross if they think they are pit cross, gorgeous little puppies i hope they find them good homes i want them all >Big Grin<
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 7yrs and 1yr
Dog Gender(s) : females
Support total : 101

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 12 2012, 13:13

They need to go to the root of the problem and target the breeders I personally think that the breeding licence is a good idea, heavy punishmnets for people being unlicenced, paperwork to be submitted for pups to prove microchipping before they leave the breeder. There would undoubtedly have to be some workarounds for accidental litters , maybe compulsory neutering (the cost of this would perhaps deter the owners from another accident)
Its not that difficult to find the dodgy breeders you can sit in an office and scour gumtree and facebook all day for that.

Back to top Go down

Post by crystel Thu Jul 12 2012, 13:30

Dave wrote:They need to go to the root of the problem and target the breeders I personally think that the breeding licence is a good idea, heavy punishmnets for people being unlicenced, paperwork to be submitted for pups to prove microchipping before they leave the breeder. There would undoubtedly have to be some workarounds for accidental litters , maybe compulsory neutering (the cost of this would perhaps deter the owners from another accident)
Its not that difficult to find the dodgy breeders you can sit in an office and scour gumtree and facebook all day for that.
agree with all of this Dave thumbs up
crystel
crystel

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 7yrs and 1yr
Dog Gender(s) : females
Support total : 101

Back to top Go down

Post by Stokester Sun Sep 02 2012, 21:30

Thing is with licencing breeders, is you cant control unplanned pregnancy and you cant go punishing people for their dog getting pregnant.
breeders get greedy with value and if they have to be licensed they wil sponge more out of you. people will resort to back street breeders.
I got my puppy from facebook but of somebody i have known over 10 years. my dog will be loved and trained the best we can. facebook ect isnt always bad for staffys many do find caring homes.
Stokester
Stokester
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Gary
Dog(s) Ages : 7 months old
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Sep 02 2012, 22:04

Stokester wrote:Thing is with licencing breeders, is you cant control unplanned pregnancy and you cant go punishing people for their dog getting pregnant.
breeders get greedy with value and if they have to be licensed they wil sponge more out of you. people will resort to back street breeders.
I got my puppy from facebook but of somebody i have known over 10 years. my dog will be loved and trained the best we can. facebook ect isnt always bad for staffys many do find caring homes.

Getting a pup from someone you've known for 10 years from FB is 1 thing , getting a pup from FB is totally different I'm afraid in my book, and its no different to Gumtree or Pets 4 Homes etc, again it might be making statements about people that aren't neccesarily true but facts
1) It is possible to avoid a bitch getting pregnant
2) If they are caught out then there are such things as the mis-mate jab
3) For Staffys and due to the massive amount in shelters , then they should only be bred by registered breeders in the correct way , fully health tested and for the good of the breed, anything else is pretty unacceptable I'm afraid

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Sun Sep 02 2012, 22:19

Hmmm.... i'd say 75% of the dogs we get into us are chipped and all of our dogs are chipped before re-homing. We do get a few happy owners on the end of the phone but a lot of them "sold the dog a year ago and don't want it back" or "details have changed and cannot contact the owner."

Targeting breeders is certainly the next thing to try, but are the type of people that act as BYB's really gonna give a s@#t about the law? We've got more pit bulls about now than ever and they're very illegal, but due to the fact that "our prisons are so full" and other bullsh@t reasons that i've heard of people getting away with owning illegal breeds and some awful animal cruelty, I think we're a little screwed unfortunately Sad People need to be educated for sure, it always confuses me when people are shocked at the amount of staffies we have in our care, they're completely oblivious and often have bred themselves "unaware" of the problem.

Sadly, a large percentage of the human race are gluttonous, selfish and uninterested and the ones that have heart are always going to be left to pick up the pieces Sad
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down