My Up to date story of Rescued 10 yr old Staffy.....Beau xx

3 posters

Go down

Sleepy My Up to date story of Rescued 10 yr old Staffy.....Beau xx

Post by shellibabe Mon Jul 09 2012, 21:52

Evening all,

Firstly thank you all for making me soooo welcome! Big Grin

Secondly....news of the little staffy I rescued. We collected her Saturday morn gone. It was over a 2 hour journey but she was brill....no problem travelling what so ever!

When we got home....she was great! so far so good! she did several little jobs in the garden and had some biscuits from us all. My partner took my boys for their swimming lesson around 2pm and left myself and Beau. Whilst they were away....Beau kept coming over to me....staring at me....I fussed her and I told her to go and lay down as this made me feel uneasy but before she did, she sat up and stared at me. I didn't look at her but said lay down again. She did and promptly fell asleep. I was relieved and wished the family back quickly. Eventually they came back at 3.30pm! When they came into the kitchen, Beau was pleased to see them...tail wagging..licking...all good!! My boys gave her some doggy biscuits whilst she was on her bed then suddenly from nowhere came growling, barking and snapping. Her tail was straight out and her ears back. Beau's head was pointing towards my partner but her eyes was on me!! I panicked!! and ushered my boys upstairs. I don't remember how she got outside with us...whether my partner called her to follow us, I really don't know and I was totally scared. A few mins later and all was forgotten....she was great again! Lots of praise, strokes and kinds words....all was well!!

She was great in the night in her crate (which was in the utility room....no barking at all! My partner let her out to do business at 12.30pm and then again at 4am....as we hadn't heard anything! I went down to her at 8am....she was happy to see me!! Lots of fusses and praises and she came in from the garden... to lay back on her cushion in the kitchen (but not in the crate). I made tea for all of us and my boys came down and drank theirs and went back upstairs....Beau was now alone with me!! She was growling, snapping and barking!! Her tail was straight out and ears back and she really scared me half to death! I said in a firm and loud voice for her 'to get in the garden'....she shot out the door quickly and I shut the door promptly! I was shaking like a leaf and wondered what the devil did I do wrong??? She did this twice to me in a space of seconds. I then called my partner down....and told him what had happened. We went outside to drink our tea. Beau came between us and came right up to me....growling again....testing me....snapping!! I managed not to scream and I don't know how my partner managed to distract her but he did! I sat there for a few minutes and decided that Beau had to be returned to the kennels. I rang the rescue centre who were all apologetic and said bring her back as they can't take any chances as I have children in the house. I was so upset as I wanted Beau to have a safe home...with a loving family but somehow it wasn't to be. I wondered whether the spaying had an effect on her or whether she was just a man's dog.....either way it was sad. My youngest who was 10 yrs old was sobbin his heart out!!
shellibabe
shellibabe
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Beau
Dog(s) Ages : 10 yrs old
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Sleepy Re: My Up to date story of Rescued 10 yr old Staffy.....Beau xx

Post by shellibabe Mon Jul 09 2012, 21:59

The Rescue Vet had also pitched Beau at 12-13 years of age and not 10 ! x
shellibabe
shellibabe

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09 2012, 22:04

Oh, what a shame. Maybe she needs a home where there's only 1 owner? It certainly sounds like jealousy.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09 2012, 22:06

well I hate to say it but a dog of that age needs some space from the off and maybe you were a little hasty and anxious. By the way your post reads it seems like you were scared of her from the off and she would sense this and test the boundaries and thats where the preparation needs to be. Owning any Bully breed is difficult and sorry it has not worked out for you but would suggest you don't think about another Bully breed as you both end up dissapointed

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Jul 09 2012, 22:06

Taken for words if I'm honest.
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Jul 09 2012, 22:14

So sorry to read that it hasn't worked out for you all.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by shellibabe Mon Jul 09 2012, 22:18

Yes Caryll, we thought this might be the case as she was all over my partner yet when we were together she was ok with me.....alone she was testing me. I was fine with her until we were alone and she was intimidating me with her scares.
Yes Dave, I want a dog that does not over power me or intimidate me either. Staffs as lovely as they are...are not for me! x
shellibabe
shellibabe

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by shellibabe Mon Jul 09 2012, 22:20

Thank you Kathy....I really wanted to give Beau a home but I think she will do better with a male owner, where he can give her all his attention.
shellibabe
shellibabe

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09 2012, 22:26

Sorry to hear its not worked out, but shes an oldie and some do become cranky as they get on in years.
My old girl of 13 can be a right grump if shes disturbed, old girl Leylas eye sight is starting to fail her and i've put her crankyness down to this, as could be the case of this oldie.

Maybe a staffords not for you or your family. It does'nt matter how much you love them i feel the media reports on this breed has clouded your judgement.

Back to top Go down

Post by shellibabe Mon Jul 09 2012, 22:30

Hi Denise....I did try...but I got it wrong Sad I can offer a dog love and affection - but as you say....its not for me!

shellibabe
shellibabe

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by shellibabe Mon Jul 09 2012, 22:33

Well thank you all for you short support....but I feel a total fraud not owning a Staffy.....

I will grab me coat on the way out!! thanks again x
shellibabe
shellibabe

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 09 2012, 22:36

If you want to stick around here, you're most welcome! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 10 2012, 12:00

Sorry it didn't work out. It sounds like she sensed your fear and decided to dominate you, basically. I'd suggest you definitely do some research on dog behaviour, how to be assertive (in mind, body language and voice), how to be the leader, etc. It'll give you a lot of advice on little things you can do to show that you're in charge. I know you said Staffs aren't for you, and it's true that they are more stubborn than other breeds, but all dogs need a strong-minded leader; even small dogs will get snappy and possessive and aggressive, just that people let them get away with it. Besides that, just remember that she's an old dog, they're hard to get out of habits. My parents had a German Shepherd when he was 5 years old, and he absolutely loved my parents, and he was great with kids, really loving and gentle, but he absolutely despised men, and he was like that all his life. Don't get discouraged or anything.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down