steplce
Kathy
StuW
taramartynandbuster
8 posters

Go down

off lead recall Empty off lead recall

Post by taramartynandbuster Sat Jul 07 2012, 12:05

since we adopted buster we were very lucky in the fact he was partially trained already. when we're in the house and out in fields alone his recall is really good. But any time we see other dogs he looses all concentration and does whatever he wants before coming back to us. Because of this he is currently on lead unless we're in one particular field where i can see all entrances to the field at all times to make sure he goes on lead before other dogs come in. Preventing any incidents and upset owners. How can i work on him returning to me while other dogs around without him running over to other dogs and possibly causing problems and upsetting there owners?

taramartynandbuster
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : buster
Dog(s) Ages : 5.5
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

off lead recall Empty Re: off lead recall

Post by Guest Sat Jul 07 2012, 12:09

treats , make him know that you are more interesting than the other dogs. TBH Tilly is the same but we have worked on it so most dogs can get within 20 feet and I can keep her with me , with the exception of one or two of her best buddies and I don't stand a chance , so if I don't want her off then she goes on the lead.
Joggers and cyclists now can pass by without issues, and that's because she knows she will get rewarded. I tell her good girl and immediately the tongue does a full circle of her mouth in anticipation

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Sat Jul 07 2012, 12:23

You could use a long training line (can get 50foot+ ones from eBay) and keep him on that and when he sees another dog, call him and if he doesn't come back then just reel him in and reward and he'll eventually come back himself even when distracted!
StuW
StuW
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Jul 07 2012, 12:29

Treats are very good for recall training. We have a long training lead for Rocky check the link below for one which is easier on the hands:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/30ft-Long-Softex-Training-Tracking-Recall-Dog-Leads-/390281291705?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Dogs&var=&hash=item5ade93e7b9
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 07 2012, 12:34

Same as above really a long lead and treats. We keep Suki on lead all the time unless there is a fenced in area

Back to top Go down

Post by taramartynandbuster Sun Jul 08 2012, 13:21

ok will keep up our hard work, thanks guys. is there any real difference between using a long training lead or an extension wind up lead? the wind up ones just seem easier and more compact. Smile

taramartynandbuster

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by steplce Sun Jul 08 2012, 17:44

my staffy does the same, he runs off if he sees kids and keeps jumping up at them
steplce
steplce
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : alfie (staffy/mastiff cross)
Dog(s) Ages : 2 years
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Thu Jul 12 2012, 11:13

Pixees recall was awful when we had her. It was patient, time, rewards and keeping her on a long lead to teach her. We have had her 6 months now. And her recall is now so much better. The word 'Stay' is what works for us. With her frisbee, we would say to her, 'stay' where she was and we would then go up to her to take the frisbee. Also we taught her in the garden, to 'stay' we would walk off, then call her. So when we need to recall her, the first word is 'stay' then a arm and hand signal brings her back to us, or we will just walk to her. The 'stay' word so far is the best that has worked with us. You will find a way that works best for you all. Smile
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Thu Jul 12 2012, 11:32

Work on building a solid recall without distractions then gradually build up to environments where there are loads of distractions.

Make yourself the most fun/exciting thing in the environment Big Grin

You may find that food treats are useless in a distracting environment, I know they are with my lot so pick a toy to use instead. Will copy in a good little article about building excitement for a toy.

http://www.clickerdogs.com/createamotivatingtoy.htm

One little tip with recall which I think is really good is to use a word that won't be misused accidentally (words such as 'here' or 'come') instead use something random that you don't often say in another context like 'table' or 'carpet' Big Grin or even better, a whistle.

Also never use your recall command to call a dog to you when you're about to do something he doesn't like such as put him in the bath etc.

ETA: Oh and use a longline (with a harness, not a collar) as the others have said so he can't run off as that is self rewarding and only teaches him 1) he can ignore you and 2) it's more fun to run off to someone/something else than listen to you.

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Thu Jul 12 2012, 14:58

taramartynandbuster wrote:ok will keep up our hard work, thanks guys. is there any real difference between using a long training lead or an extension wind up lead? the wind up ones just seem easier and more compact. Smile

I would like to know the answer to this too - as I am struggling with Ralph when there is another dog around!
Jellytot
Jellytot
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralph
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 73

Back to top Go down

Post by taramartynandbuster Thu Jul 12 2012, 20:06

brilliant advice guys thanks for all the help. buster always walks on harness. and i must say so far the whistling is the best thing at getting him back.

taramartynandbuster

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Floyd1138 Fri Jul 13 2012, 06:08

I use 'touch' command, i started by getting him to touch my hand with his nose, and treat reward EVERY time. Dont use it like a paw command or sit, always, always treat reward. When training him i'd do it randomly perhaps 5 ,6 times an hour, if he was in another room, looking out window or playing. After he had it sussed, i continued training outside on walks. I have found this command to be great and i now use it as an emergency recall.
Floyd1138
Floyd1138

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by taramartynandbuster Fri Jul 13 2012, 11:32

thanks floyd, this sounds like a really good idea, i will try and work it in to the recall training we are doing. should work well with buster, he's very food orientated since he's settled in lol!

taramartynandbuster

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content