Long lines and untrained off lead dogs...

3 posters

Go down

Lightning Long lines and untrained off lead dogs...

Post by Rachel33 Thu Jul 05 2012, 11:47

I live on the outskirts of the city currently (although will hopefully be moving back to the countryside next year!!) and never in my life have I encountered so many badly behaved dogs..

My staff is a cruelty case rescue, adopted at 3 years old with very little socialization. I have learnt to manage her behaviour and encourage gentle socialization, always keeping her completely under control.

She is muzzle trained as a precaution in all new situations, she's walked on a halti and a lead on road walks and exercised on a harness and long lead where possible. I understand that taking on a dog with her level of fear aggression was always going to be a challenge, however the only issue i'm having is with other owners letting their dogs off lead with no re-call whatsoever!!

There's an open park around the corner from me that I walk past on our travels and will let Biscuit have a little freedom and fetch time in when there are no dogs around at all, yet people just seem to arrive out of nowhere, letting their dogs off the lead as soon as they get onto the grass and seem to develop very selective hearing when you try to explain that your dog isn't socialized and to keep their dog away?! As well as the usual dirty looks and snide comments because of her breed.. I don't want her to be a danger to anyone she's a big strong dog, and also really don't want her getting hurt either or put into a situation that would compromise her training. On one occasion two terriers were trying to mount her and their owners just laughed and didn't even attempt to call her away, she was on the floor shaking poor thing and I ended up grabbing both dogs and forcing them away Sad The next time was a over enthusiastic labradoodle that was not respecting her space, she wasn't quite so submissive and put on her best puffed up snarling lip look...luckily I managed to keep the dog away but I hate to think what could have happened if I didn't manage to!

I have explored other avenues including the huge cemetry that allows dogs not far from here, however despite a large sign on the gate stating that dogs MUST be kept on a lead at all times, people still insist on letting their untrained dogs run around like maniacs and then say "oh sorry they have no recall" when you shoo them away?!

Sorry for the rant but i'm at my wits end...any other avenues that you have explored with your dogs? I have read about tennis courts etc, is this usual allowed?
Rachel33
Rachel33
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Bug (Biscuit)
Dog(s) Ages : 7 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1012

Back to top Go down

Lightning Re: Long lines and untrained off lead dogs...

Post by Guest Thu Jul 05 2012, 11:53

The best route is to find someone that has a well trained and socialized older dog. Not always easy but worth the effort

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 05 2012, 11:56

I sympathise. Only this morning a couple of women with two small terrier type dogs caused me grief. One of the dogs (Jack) came hurtling over to Dempsey who was on lead (Dempsey's a very dominant dog, not particularly da, but won't take any nonsense). The little bugger started barking & running at & around Dempsey, leaping in & snapping at him.

The woman kept calling & calling but no response from little Jack.

I was desperately trying to keep Dempsey facing the little rat because he can't abide having a dog behind him & at the same time I was using my leg to push the dog away. Not exactly kicking because there was no force nehind it, but certainly giving it a good shove.

Eventually the silly woman came over, took her dog & clipped the lead on. "Sorry" she said "he's a bit temperamental when it's warm & he won't come back when I call".

No kidding? I think I'd noticed. I did well, though, I kept my temper & as soon as she'd gone I gave Dempsey some fuss because he didn't react as badly as he could have done.

All you can do is try to stay away from other dogs - not at all easy, I know.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Jul 05 2012, 11:56

She's great in controlled environments and very playful with any dogs that i've mixed her with (I work in a rescue centre so have access to lots of dogs Laughing ) it's just unknown ones that come bounding up to her with no manners that she gets a little funny about...
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Jul 05 2012, 11:58

Argh!! That's ridiculous Caryll...why let him off the lead in the first place if he has no re-call and is temperamental?! Glad your boy didn't react, though he had every right to! So frustrating isn't it...
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 05 2012, 11:59

Most people in my local park know me & Dempsey now & either stay away or put their dogs on lead until we're all comfortable with it.

There are two or three dogs he'll play with very happily, but we still introduce on lead & walking together before we let them off.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Jul 05 2012, 12:04

That's great that they've gotten to know you, i'm fairly new to the area and have tried talking to other owners to no avail.. Probably doesn't help that it's a fairly well off area and I turn up all scruffy covered in mud with a huge staffy at my side Laughing If only there were more owners like you!!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 05 2012, 12:07

I'm pretty laid back when it comes to dog walking. I've had a couple of dogs that weren't very good with others & one (Bandit, my staff) that was very da. I think you come to accept aggression between dogs as 'one of those things'. Not acceptable, particularly, but not always preventable either.

As long as other people are sensible & friendly we get on fine!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rachel33 Thu Jul 05 2012, 12:14

Totally agree, especially with the breed in hand. I've worked with some dogs with really awful canine aggression problems and it would be so easy to manage if there weren't so many naive dog owners, but i'd rather deal with canine aggression than human. Unfortunately Biscuit came to me with both Laughing

She's getting there though, she lives very happily with my male housemate now which is something I never saw happening when she first landed on my doorstep, the little madam!
Rachel33
Rachel33

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by micheled Thu Jul 05 2012, 18:21

sounds like you are making huge strides with Biscuit, great work, she is lucky to have you

Fortunately at the park/lake where we usually walk everyone's on lead and almost everyone asks if it's OK to let their dog say hello, but I hate the exceptions. Don't people realize allowing that kind of behavior isn't good for their dog either?
micheled
micheled
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 74

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Thu Jul 05 2012, 19:43

Maybe you should go out in the middle of the night and plaster DINOS posters everywhere! Laughing

So many people have no manners!

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down