what do baby teeth look like when losing them?

4 posters

Go down

what do baby teeth look like when losing them? Empty what do baby teeth look like when losing them?

Post by Girly Tue Jul 03 2012, 10:11

hi - just wondering, should their baby teeth start looking sort of greyish/transparent when they are losing them? One of her sharp fangy teeth on the bottom looks weird, has done for a few days now and we were just playing tug a bit and she yelped a little tiny bit when she bit the rope once, then looked like she flipped the tooth back up into her mouth or something. The gum looks a little bit white too, not sure if that's right. anybody know anything about this like is it normal?
Girly
Girly
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
what do baby teeth look like when losing them? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jellybean
Dog(s) Ages : born 6 Feb 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 46

Back to top Go down

what do baby teeth look like when losing them? Empty Re: what do baby teeth look like when losing them?

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 10:36

Yes, it's normal. The tooth itself is dying so it discolours quite quickly. It'll get looser & may hurt if it catches on something.

Soon enough it'll pull out, though. If the dog's playing or eating when it comes out there'll be a lot of saliva in the mouth & it'll look like it's bleeding a lot, but it isn't!

Back to top Go down

what do baby teeth look like when losing them? Empty Re: what do baby teeth look like when losing them?

Post by goldie87 Tue Jul 03 2012, 10:41

Same thing happened to me.. I was playing tug of war with Zeus and noticed some blood coming out of his mouth. Looked at his teeth and a few of his front little ones were really loose and looked discoloured. That was about two/three weeks ago.. had a look at his teeth again yesterday and all of the little ones have gone and his new ones are already growing.. couldn't believe how quick they grew!
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 10:50

Yes completly normal

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Tue Jul 03 2012, 11:09

OK good - the discoloration is what freaked me out a bit. Not looking forward to the blood and stuff - I couldn't handle my own milk teeth or my step-kids' falling out, make me faint. LOL Her non-fangy teeth are definitely coming in, they are getting quite big already, like you said Goldie. Nice to have another puppy around the same age as Jelly here, we can compare stories and look at pictures - your little Zeus is one of the cutest puppies I have ever seen!!
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Tue Jul 03 2012, 11:09

and of course THANKS for the assurance!!
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jul 03 2012, 11:11

If she seems in a bit of discomfort you can get puppy teething gel from most pet stores, or freeze a banana & let her chew on it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Tue Jul 03 2012, 11:19

thanks Caryll - i give her frozen chicken stock cubes, but i will look for the soothing gel, didn't think of that, thanks!
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Tue Jul 03 2012, 11:26

You may also notice there breath smells terrible for a week or so while teathing
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Polly Pocket Tue Jul 03 2012, 22:23

Charlie is teething now, I have got one of his puppy fangs which he lost playing with Polly the other day, all his fangs came through at about the same time and the poor little thing wasn't at all happy, I have had to hand feed him finely minced meat for the past few days as he refused to bite or to try to eat with them loose.

We tried all the things that worked for Polly, frozen fruit, rope toys soaked in water and frozen, frozen wet flannels, but he refused to have anything in his mouth even my finger with gel on it, thankfully he has lost all the puppy fangs now and has been eating like a pig for the last 2 days to make up for lost time Rolling Eyes

Our last non staffie puppy, a jack russell cross westie didn't have any problems at all and we only knew he was getting his new teeth when we saw them in his mouth Straight Face

I love staffies they aren't at all predictable at wits end
Polly Pocket
Polly Pocket
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Polly, Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 30/1/11 & 15/2/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female & Male
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Wed Jul 04 2012, 09:30

Girly wrote:Nice to have another puppy around the same age as Jelly here, we can compare stories and look at pictures - your little Zeus is one of the cutest puppies I have ever seen!!

Thanks! Big Grin I only just realised that Jelly is only 4 days older than Zeus! I love her name by the way!
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Girly Mon Jul 16 2012, 15:11

thanks, the name fits her, she is a sweetie. People think we chose it to be ironic because she's a staffy, like calling a little mini-Maltese "Spike" or "Killer". They are also the people asking if she's a fighting dog (yes, people who know us have asked this) and whether she is "good natured" (with a cynical tone!). Anyway, it's just what she looked like and acted like as a little one, a sweet little Jellybean Love Struck

I just came back to this to say the nasty snaggle tooth that was a weird color finally came out and so have a few others. she goes through some chewy, bity, spazzy spurts of energy, but otherwise she has been taking it pretty well. can't believe she is growing up so fast...
Girly
Girly

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down