First Walk

4 posters

Go down

First Walk Empty First Walk

Post by debtom Fri Jun 15 2012, 11:33

It will be Caley's first time out this weekend in the big wide world using her own legs. We have taken her out everyday carrying her so she gets used to the noises and she is used to her collar and lead to some extent, we take her in our garden with it when she goes toilet and she likes to try and bite the lead when she is having a crazy moment lol. Smile

Does anyone have any advise on the best way to take her out and for how long, she will be 11 weeks. I am hoping she won't just sit there, she always tries to get out of our arms when we carry her. Many Thanks
debtom
debtom
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
First Walk Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Caley
Dog(s) Ages : Born 2 April 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

First Walk Empty Re: First Walk

Post by goldie87 Fri Jun 15 2012, 11:51

Hi debbie, when we first took Zeus out for a walk, he was petrified. We did the same as you did before hand, carried him around to get used to the area/noises, etc, but when he was outside by himself, it was a different matter.

For the first week, he didn't wanna move, he just sat in one place, shaking. We didn't pamper him in any way as this promotes the idea that there is something to be scared of, we just let him get used to everything by himself. As the week went by, he slowly start sniffing around and walking himself, and by the end of the next week, he loved his walks.

Now, whenever I say the word "walkies", he gets super excited and goes to the back door, knowing that hes going for his walk. Just give your pup some time to get used to it and eventually she'll get round to it!
goldie87
goldie87
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Fri Jun 15 2012, 11:59

I would be inclined to take her somewhere quiet to get her used to walking outside on a lead and build up to main roads etc. Generally 5 minutes walk for each month of age, so I would say 3 walks of 10-15 minutes every day would be fine just now! If she sits down and won't walk don't pick her up and carry her, you could take a toy or something to coax her into walking and make it fun and something she enjoys Big Grin!
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by Jellytot Fri Jun 15 2012, 13:30

Ralph was also petrified of 'walkies'!!!

He just sat there resisting my gentle tugging on the lead and 'come on Ralph!'. Even his favorite treats didn't help!

We just let him get on with it in his own time and now he loves it. For some weird reason, he wouldn't go for a walk from our house, but if we took him in the car first to the park 5 minutes drive away, he was fine when he'd get out the car and he'd enjoy his walk. Weird! Laughing
Jellytot
Jellytot
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ralph
Dog(s) Ages : 3
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 73

Back to top Go down