Doggy Doors

Go down

Doggy Doors Empty Doggy Doors

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27 2010, 07:25

Do any of you have Doggy doors?....

are they a good thing?.... Or do they take away your "pack" Leadership by letting them come and go as they please?

Back to top Go down

Doggy Doors Empty Re: Doggy Doors

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27 2010, 07:29

I don't have one. But can't see it taking away your pack leadership in any way. The garden is just an extension to it's kennel/your house

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27 2010, 08:00

Ok cool.. I wont be thinking about putting one in until she is fully house trained and there is no risk of her trashing the house lol.... hmmmm when might that be? 2015?

Back to top Go down

Post by Cornish-Muscle Mon Dec 27 2010, 08:46

lol
Molly's mum had a doggy door, we've got a cat flap, up until she was about 5 months old, she would use the cat flap, much to our annoyance (The garden wasn't secure enough for her to be out on her own) She's now too big and can only fit her head through it.
I'd say they were a good idea, if our garden was Staffie proof I'd definatly consider getting one.
Cornish-Muscle
Cornish-Muscle
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Molly
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27 2010, 09:07

We had a dog door for Bandit & he loved it. Went in and out as he pleased. It certainly didn't take away leadership because we didn't go out at the same time or in the same way. I'd have one now, but I've got one of those glass panel doors & I can't cut a hole in it!

If you get one, get her used to it by someone standing on the outside with a treat & someone holding her inside. Then quietly lift the flap & let her see the treat. Encourage her to hop through. After a while just open the flap a little so she can see it can move. She'll soon get the hang of it.

The only draw back for us was that the door itself was noisy & Bandit often went outside at night!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27 2010, 09:17

We have a double hung window in the hall way leading onto the deck.
we can either open it from the top or the bottom , or both.
we were thinking of making the bottom half of the screen solid and putting in a doggy door.. then she will be able to go in and out.. I am a little worried tho if she has "freedom:" at night she might chew up my leather lounge lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27 2010, 09:23

You can still crate her at night till she's old enough to be trusted. I now leave Dempsey's crate door open over night & he's fine, but until a couple of weeks ago I wouldn't have dreamt of it!

Be careful with a window. Sounds a good idea, but I'd like to relate a little story told me by Nancy Malec (Yankeestaff SBT's). She had, at any one time, about 10 or 12 staffs & they all lived indoors (she had a BIG house!). She knew which ones got on with which, and each of them had their own way of getting out into the garden. Bandit's dad, Bolivar, had his own way, which was a small window by the side of the back door. Nancy would open it & he's leap out (about 4' high). Anyway, one day she was a little slow to open it & he leapt anyway - straight through the window! Glass everywhere!

Luckily he wasn't hurt, but the house was very old, and rented, and the window was leaded and very expensive! lol!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27 2010, 09:28

we have a dog flap for ours its leads out onto a small completley safe and enclosed gravel garden (its hard to explain but its surrounded by our house, outbuildingds and our other gardens) haha it sounds like we live in a mantion but we dont just a very big village 3 bed council house pmsl. Anyway thats "their" garden and they come and go as they please. I think dog flaps are fantastic as long as either the dogs are still supervised to a certain degree when outside or the garden is completley safe and secure! x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27 2010, 09:31

Opps... that isnt real great... the window is level with the deck. so there isnt a drop there at all. we have the screen off as we used to leave it open 5 inces for the cat.... ( he has since taken up Perm resident in the Bathroom)
yeah I would still Crate her at night and just give her access to the dog door during the day when we are home.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27 2010, 09:34

Well we cant do it just yet...... becuase we have the pool and we need to watch her like a hawk.. she can only just get her head thru at the moment,.. but if she wanted to she could wriggle thru.. she isnt allowed out without one of us .. so the doggy door will have to wait till she is chunkier!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27 2010, 09:50

Best idea. She'd not do well if she fell in the pool just yet.

Just as a matter of interest, is the pool the same depth all the way round, or is there a shallow end?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27 2010, 10:07

Pool is

1.2 at the shallow end, 2 m at the deep end... gradual slope. Pool is 8.5meters long, 4 wide ( 5 at the beach cut out area)
there is NO ledge around the edge and the only way out ( for a dog) is the beach area witch she would not be able to stand up in 45cm.... there is a small step on that beach area that is 10cm deep... so we have taught Jess ( lab next door) and Titan ( rotti) to swim to the step.. they seem to be ok with it.
but there is no way she could get out if someone wasnt there to help.
[img]Doggy Doors Poolpic[/img]

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27 2010, 10:08

Oh, I'm SO jealous! It looks really nice! I wasn't asking for the pup really, just being nosey! Blushing

By the way, Mel, I sent you a 'friend' request & you ahven't accepted it yet - don't you like me anymore? Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27 2010, 10:59

Caryll wrote:Oh, I'm SO jealous! It looks really nice! I wasn't asking for the pup really, just being nosey! Blushing

By the way, Mel, I sent you a 'friend' request & you ahven't accepted it yet - don't you like me anymore? Crying or Very sad

Babe.... where would I find it pmsl?.... I would Love Struck to be your friend lol

You can be nosey lol
Did you like the air brushing for the boys??? pmsl

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27 2010, 11:00

Click on 'profile' at the top of the page & then 'friends & foes'.

Like the air brushing!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 27 2010, 11:05

Ahhhh ok... I have never been in that part.. so sorry had no idea ..

It takes A LOT to offerd me... I dont ask questions and expect sugar coated answers... Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down