Growling

2 posters

Go down

Growling Empty Growling

Post by Loubear Sat Jun 02 2012, 21:34

We just got a staffie puppy 4 days ago and he's now 9 weeks old. He has his injections on wednesday and then he starts puppy training class on the 14th. My partner and I are concerned about the amount of growling he does when we move him/pick him up/take him away from something he's interested in (that he shouldn't be). He doesn't do it every time. Is this normal for puppies and what's the best way to deal with it?

Loubear
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Growling Empty Re: Growling

Post by Kathy Sat Jun 02 2012, 21:36

Hi & Growling Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Growling Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Growling Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Growling Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Growling Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Growling Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Growling Icon_arrow Make a Donate to help us to keep us improving our forum and website.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Jun 02 2012, 21:38

Hi and welcome to the forum from Rocky and me.

Is he in pain? Are you able to feel all over him to see if anything is amiss?

If not just try to turn your back on him and ignor him when he growls at you.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Loubear Sat Jun 02 2012, 21:43

Hi and thank you ^^
He doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort and most of the time he is lovely towards us.
Just want to nip this in the bud whilst hes a baby because I dont want problems when hes a big boy. Smile

Loubear

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 02 2012, 21:51

Like advised above I would first check for any medical issues which may be causing the growling especially due to how young the pup is

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jun 02 2012, 22:51

Hi and welcome to the forum , sorry can't ad any more advice , get him a checkover at the vet for peace of mind, normally pups are way too occupied for trivial things like growling at 9 weeks

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03 2012, 00:00

Same advice as all above and welcome form us and Suki

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03 2012, 09:20

The growling your getting is him protesting, he cant say 'sod off and leave me alone' so he growls.
In the litter with his siblings growling worked to warn the others off his toy or food, and his thinking its going to work with you too.

How you deal with this now is important. Next time he growls because you picked him up or removed from an area you wish him not to be in, just ignore the growling. His hoping if he growls your put him down or leave him where he wants to be. If you do this his won and he'll carry on growling.
While his young and diddy its easy to control, but as he gets older he could become out of control and be dictating to you want he wants etc. So it needs nipping in the bud now.
If the little monkey growls when you pick him up, make a point of picking him up a few times though out the day, and dont put him back down till he stops growling and is relaxed.

Years ago i had a little 9 wk old minx that was too big for her boots too, and would back into a corner and growl if i picked her up.
Did the same thing i just told you to do and within a week she had stopped. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03 2012, 09:22

Great advice above and probably the most likely cause.
The part about not putting them back down until they are relaxed is the very important bit

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03 2012, 11:19

Hi & welcome to the forum.

Denise wrote:The growling your getting is him protesting, he cant say 'sod off and leave me alone' so he growls.
In the litter with his siblings growling worked to warn the others off his toy or food, and his thinking its going to work with you too.

How you deal with this now is important. Next time he growls because you picked him up or removed from an area you wish him not to be in, just ignore the growling. His hoping if he growls your put him down or leave him where he wants to be. If you do this his won and he'll carry on growling.
While his young and diddy its easy to control, but as he gets older he could become out of control and be dictating to you want he wants etc. So it needs nipping in the bud now.
If the little monkey growls when you pick him up, make a point of picking him up a few times though out the day, and dont put him back down till he stops growling and is relaxed.

Years ago i had a little 9 wk old minx that was too big for her boots too, and would back into a corner and growl if i picked her up.
Did the same thing i just told you to do and within a week she had stopped. Big Grin

This is excellent advice. If you follow this I'm sure you'll find it soon stops! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Loubear Sun Jun 03 2012, 11:37

Thanks for all your help. We will try that and let you know how it goes Smile

Loubear

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03 2012, 11:45

Any chance of some pics of the little b*, I mean, sweetie! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jun 03 2012, 11:57

Fantastic advice from Denise.

I would be inclined to not worry about it too much. At that age, all those changes, I'd say it is a pretty normal reaction. I'm sure when the pup is settled and feels at home, things will settle down.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down