home owners

2 posters

Go down

home owners  Empty home owners

Post by Steve Sat May 26 2012, 10:01

I just read this on another forum i thought it was pretty sad, just wondering if you have any plans to get around this when the times comes you need care? i heard of people signing over their house to their kids so they don't have to pay for care.

My mum is 100 in December and paid her stamp for over 40 years when running her own Hairdressing business. My dad had paid his stamp for over 40 years and sadly died at only 67. We are putting mum into a Care home as for the FIRST TIME in her life she needs 24 hour care AND SHE HAS TO PAY BECAUSE SHE OWNS HER OWN HOUSE.
We have seen this coming for a few years now but no government seems to want to do anything about this mushrooming problem of caring for the elderly who have Dementia/Alzheimers.
Without going on too much about our case which upsets me enormously as my mum has never had to use the NHS other that for her Historectomy and when she had a stroke at 82. Has anyone heard of a way out of paying as she has been assessed by the Social Services as needing Care but not Medical Care?
What about HER HUMAN RIGHTS to have care paid by the State as she and her husband have paid their dues and my Father served in the RAF during the second World War?

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

home owners  Empty Re: home owners

Post by Guest Sat May 26 2012, 10:33

That's so sad. Unfortunately there's no way out of it other than selling the house. Sad

Any signing over of valuable property has to be done a certain minimum length of time before this sort of thing becomes necessary, if that makes sense.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 26 2012, 11:24

That's so sad, when our youngest gets to 21 we are signing our house over to the two boys and pay rent to them, which we will get back as they will be paying the bills

Back to top Go down

Post by *Karen* Sat May 26 2012, 15:53

lynne - smart move for inheritance tax there!!
*Karen*
*Karen*

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 13 July 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Lady
Support total : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sat May 26 2012, 15:55

sound like this could work thinking

When me and my wife bought our house I was advised to buy it as tennants in common. The effectively means we own 50% of the property each as opposed to owning the property jointly. This effectively means that if one of us goes into care then we wouldn't be liable for care costs.

The reason for this is because owning half a house has an effective market valuation of £0 because you can't sell half a house.

This doesn't help the OP but it is food for thought for any other couples buying a house. My Mum and Dad did this and my Dad died, which means myself my brother and sister now own the other 50% of Mums house. Should she need care she won't be forced to sell up.

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 26 2012, 16:13

It sickens me the way the elderly are treated in this country. My dads just retired last year and he pays more tax from his pension now than he did when he was at the top of his game, but obviously gets paid a HELL of a lot less on the pension.

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Sat May 26 2012, 16:16

my dad work 40 hours plus a week for 45 plus yeard and hes not got a pension...

Steve

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 26 2012, 16:26

Mine only has one because he went privately and got one and built it up for years, but most of it got taken away in tax.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down