+2
samg
MANSC1966
6 posters

Go down

Injured GREEDY PUPPY

Post by MANSC1966 Mon May 21 2012, 15:01

HYA EVERYONE.
I NEED SOME HELP - MY 3 AND HALF MONTHS OLD STAFFIE IS VERY VERY GREEDY - HE EATS HIS FOOD SO QUICK THAT HE GETS HICCUPS - ALSO HE SCROUNGES ALL THE TIME. HOW CAN I STOP HIM?

THANKS FOR ANY ADVICE,
MANS & RONNY
MANSC1966
MANSC1966
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : RONNY
Dog(s) Ages : 3 and half months
Dog Gender(s) : MALE
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Injured Re: GREEDY PUPPY

Post by samg Mon May 21 2012, 15:43

We bought a bowl off Amazon to slow her down, and it does. Basically its a normal bowl but with protrusions in it so they have to work at getting to the food. Great!!!! Only £8.99
samg
samg
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Delilah
Dog Gender(s) : A Lady
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by MANSC1966 Mon May 21 2012, 15:50

Thats sounds a great idea - just found one on ebay for just over a fiver - hope this works - I will let you know.
Thanks again,
Mansxx Love Struck
MANSC1966
MANSC1966

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Mon May 21 2012, 15:54

Another good one is to put his food in a Kong, I do this with one of mine as he just inhales his food if I give it him any other way! Smile

Last edited by Galadriel on Mon May 21 2012, 15:54; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)

Galadriel
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 175

Back to top Go down

Post by MANSC1966 Mon May 21 2012, 15:55

Thanks - I will try that too - I will try anything - he is sooooooo greedy !! But I love him xxxxxxxxx Wink
MANSC1966
MANSC1966

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon May 21 2012, 22:18

We use a kong for Rockys feed and it does slow him down. You can also try putting a tennis ball in the food bowl I've heard that also works for slowing them down.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 21 2012, 22:19

How many times do you feed him? What food do you give him?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon May 21 2012, 23:33

I've used a tennis ball before as well

Back to top Go down

Injured GREEDY PUP

Post by MANSC1966 Tue May 22 2012, 13:32

HE HAS RICE KRISPIES FOR BREAKFAST AT 7AM - THEN CHICKEN AND MIXER ABOUT 5PM. IN BETWEEN HE HAS TREATS ( BONIO, CHEW STICKS ETC.) HE JUST WOLFS EVERYTHING DOWN LIKE IT'S GONNA DISAPPEAR!!!
THANKS Smile
MANSC1966
MANSC1966

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue May 22 2012, 13:47

I think you should feed your puppy more often, they say you should
feed your puppy four meals a day up until the age of four months, and then reduce its feed to three meals a day until it is six months.

Maybe you could try a good quality dry food, which would be better for him

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by *Karen* Tue May 22 2012, 14:02

Sorry to come come on a bit strong but please please feed your puppy a better quality diet!!
Rice crispes will not contain those all important minerals and vitamins essential for healthy puppy growth and development!!

There's lots of suggestions and recommendations on here for complete dry food or a raw diet and it can work out quite cheap
*Karen*
*Karen*

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 13 July 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Lady
Support total : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Tue May 22 2012, 14:04

totally agree with karen, the diet is most probably the problem. i fed zeus four times a day up until he was 12 weeks, now he is 14 weeks, im feeding him three times a day until hes six months old. i feed him wainwrights dry food mixed with a little wet food at 8am, 2pm and 8pm, and in between he'll get little treats. he didnt really eat much when i was feeding him four times a day, three times has worked out much better.

zeus does eat his food really quick and gets the hiccups but i dont really see that as a problem, the main thing is that hes eating his food! unlike when i first got him and he wouldn't eat nothing!

goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Tue May 22 2012, 14:57

He will probably become malnourished if you carry on feeding him that and there's no wonder he's scoffing his food down as he won't be getting what he needs. A growing pup (and an adult dog) needs the best complete dog food you can afford or you can feed a BARF diet.

He also needs to be fed more often like the others have said.

One of the better dry foods at the cheap end is Skinners field and trial. Mid range price wise is something like Simpsons, Natural Dog Food Company or Arden Grange. If you can afford it then go for something like Orijen which is probably the most expensive but one of the best, Acana, Applaws or Fish4Dogs; I've seen some good offers on Fish4Dogs online recently - some as low as £36 per 12KG bag and it's a really good food.

Don't just look at price per KG if cost is a factor. Look at recommend feeding amounts and you'll see they vary a lot so a food that seems quite expensive might not cost more in the longer term than a cheaper one as you feed less.

Puppy specific foods are often more expensive and lots of people don't think there's much need for them.
You're far better off feeding a better quality adult food than a cheaper brand puppy food that's the same price if you see what I mean Smile

ETA: Sorry, just realised that post could come across as quite patronising which isn't how I meant it. Just wanted to stress how important a good diet is for a happy, healthy dog. Human breakfast cereal and a bit of chicken and mixer really isn't suitable.

Forgot to mention you can cook for your dog too but you need to do lots of research into it to ensure you're feeding a balanced diet if you go down that route.

Last edited by Galadriel on Tue May 22 2012, 15:31; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added info)

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Wed May 23 2012, 09:44

Galadriel wrote:He will probably become malnourished if you carry on feeding him that and there's no wonder he's scoffing his food down as he won't be getting what he needs. A growing pup (and an adult dog) needs the best complete dog food you can afford or you can feed a BARF diet.

He also needs to be fed more often like the others have said.

One of the better dry foods at the cheap end is Skinners field and trial. Mid range price wise is something like Simpsons, Natural Dog Food Company or Arden Grange. If you can afford it then go for something like Orijen which is probably the most expensive but one of the best, Acana, Applaws or Fish4Dogs; I've seen some good offers on Fish4Dogs online recently - some as low as £36 per 12KG bag and it's a really good food.

Don't just look at price per KG if cost is a factor. Look at recommend feeding amounts and you'll see they vary a lot so a food that seems quite expensive might not cost more in the longer term than a cheaper one as you feed less.

Puppy specific foods are often more expensive and lots of people don't think there's much need for them.
You're far better off feeding a better quality adult food than a cheaper brand puppy food that's the same price if you see what I mean Smile

ETA: Sorry, just realised that post could come across as quite patronising which isn't how I meant it. Just wanted to stress how important a good diet is for a happy, healthy dog. Human breakfast cereal and a bit of chicken and mixer really isn't suitable.

Forgot to mention you can cook for your dog too but you need to do lots of research into it to ensure you're feeding a balanced diet if you go down that route.

hi galadriel. would you recommend orijen over fish4dogs? or the other way around?
if fish4dogs.. where did you find the £36 offer?
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Wed May 23 2012, 13:56

Orijen on paper is better but each dog is different and some dogs can be a bit 'soft' on it if you know what I mean and those dogs often do well on Fish4Dogs which is still a good food.

If it were me and I could afford Orijen then I'd try that first, if it went down well then I'd feed that for 3/4 months then try the Fish4Dogs (I tend to change food 3/4 times a year on rotation as feeding one for years can cause an intolerance plus it makes it more interesting for the dog!)

The Fish4Dogs I saw was here - http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/fish-4-dogs-finest-complete_1_155125.html - just stocked up Smile

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Wed May 23 2012, 14:12

thanks for the information galadriel, the only problem with that link is they dont do fish4puppies, only fish4dogs.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Galadriel Wed May 23 2012, 15:11

Oops Blushing I didn't think of that!

Like I mentioned earlier, a lot of people, including the people I know that are knowledgable about nutrition don't think there's any need to feed a puppy specific diet; especially if you're feeding a good quality food. Quite a few manufacturers now do 'all life stage' food and raw feeders don't feed anything different to their pups as far as I'm aware of.

A good amount of good quality protein is what pups need. There are also slight differences in recommend amounts of things like calcium and phosphorous - have a look at this if you want a good read! Big Grin http://www.nutricao.vet.br/pdfs/FEDIAF_Nutritional_Guidelines_-_final_version_6-09-11.pdf - but most foods fall within the ranges mentioned. Smile

Galadriel

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down