One animal lexi can't harm..HEDGEHOG

+2
Buster's_Mum
Kathy
6 posters

Go down

One animal lexi can't harm..HEDGEHOG  Empty One animal lexi can't harm..HEDGEHOG

Post by Guest Wed May 02 2012, 12:03

Hedgehog! Found this little beauty in the pen today, lexi had toppled over the kennel, rearranged pretty much the whole pen and this little guy was just lying in a ball covered in dog slobber.

Finally something that Lexi can't get her teeth into and make me mad at her. Dogs, who would have em.

Going to release him later on this evening and hope he isn't stupid enough to go back into the pen. I'm very excited cause he is the first hedgehog i have ever seen.

One animal lexi can't harm..HEDGEHOG  DSCF3136
One animal lexi can't harm..HEDGEHOG  DSCF3138
One animal lexi can't harm..HEDGEHOG  DSCF3139
One animal lexi can't harm..HEDGEHOG  DSCF3140

Love Struck Love Struck

Last edited by Equi on Wed May 02 2012, 22:24; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

One animal lexi can't harm..HEDGEHOG  Empty Re: One animal lexi can't harm..HEDGEHOG

Post by Guest Wed May 02 2012, 12:16

I love hedgehogs! Someone on here actually has a pet one (for the life of me I can't remember who it is!).

We get them in our garden a lot & they drive Dempsey wild - he runs up to them but won't actually touch them - I think he must've had a quill in his face at some point!

Back to top Go down

One animal lexi can't harm..HEDGEHOG  Empty Re: One animal lexi can't harm..HEDGEHOG

Post by Guest Wed May 02 2012, 12:19

Yeah lexi was running around it i assume she had one mouthful and that was enough! Its so smelly i never realised how smelly they are. In love with it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 02 2012, 12:21

AWWWW!!! Too cute! I LOVE hedgies! Some day I will have a pet one! I remember when I was small in Finland I used to see them often. They were friendly enough to pick up without getting bit!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 02 2012, 12:23

My oh often brings them home in the winter. If he sees them out & about when they should be hibernating, he brings them home & we try to nurse them back to health. We put one in a box in the downstairs passage once, and went to bed - the little perisher climbed out of the box, negotiated the stairs & ended up snuffling arounf in our bedroom!

We had Bandit at the time, and he didn't bat an eyelid - just let it get on with it! Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Wed May 02 2012, 12:25

We've saved a couple that we have seen out that were very small, we took them to Tiggywinkles, that is a hedgie hospital in Oxfordshire.

They are so cute I love them too.

Last edited by kathytake2 on Wed May 02 2012, 13:36; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling mistake)
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 02 2012, 12:26

I hope he isn't hurt in any way, but if he is he will have to be cared for Big Grin

I hope he scuttles off happily though. Will post some pics of that later!

Back to top Go down

Post by Buster's_Mum Wed May 02 2012, 12:34

I never used to see them that often, untill I got Buster. I think it is his mission that while we are on our late walk he MUST find a hedgehog! I always know when he's found one because he will go round in circles jumping about. I've never seen him try to bite or pick one up so I presume the first time he had a spike in the nose or something. Every night for the last week or so he has found one Rolling Eyes
Buster's_Mum
Buster's_Mum
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
One animal lexi can't harm..HEDGEHOG  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Buster, LuLu (chinese crested)
Dog(s) Ages : 10 months, 3 1/2 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 02 2012, 12:53

I haven't ever seen one of those in person

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 02 2012, 13:22

aww, I love hedgehogs. When I was younger my mum brought them in a couple of times Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 02 2012, 13:28

love hedgehogs

i think its ella who has a white one

Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 02 2012, 13:42

Awww hedgies Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 02 2012, 13:46

lynne wrote:love hedgehogs

i think its ella who has a white one

Love Struck

That's it! How could I forget! Sorry, Ella!!!! Blushing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 02 2012, 22:23

Annoyed the hedgehog more tonight. I didn't release him tonight because i wanted to make sure he was moving and eating so have left him in the stable nice and safe and warm.

One animal lexi can't harm..HEDGEHOG  DSCF3155
One animal lexi can't harm..HEDGEHOG  DSCF3156
One animal lexi can't harm..HEDGEHOG  DSCF3158
One animal lexi can't harm..HEDGEHOG  DSCF3159
One animal lexi can't harm..HEDGEHOG  DSCF3161

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 02 2012, 23:05

I just made the most ridiculous sounds when I saw that cutie!! OH came in and checked on me, lol. Thank you for caring for Mr. (or Mrs.) Hedgehog!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Wed May 02 2012, 23:21

I have never seen them before! I like it! Too cute.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed May 02 2012, 23:50

Its huge so i'm thinking its a male, dad says its the biggest one he has ever seen.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 03 2012, 00:10

He looks like a grumpy old man, I bet he complains about kids these days...

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Thu May 03 2012, 00:18

CatStina wrote:He looks like a grumpy old man, I bet he complains about kids these days...

You can name him Steve. Big Grin Just kiddin ya Steve... Hahahahaha
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 03 2012, 00:25

Hahaha! It is sooo called Steve now!

Back to top Go down

Post by 8pawprints Thu May 03 2012, 04:50

Saw 2 recently in our neighbour's garden, nose to nose and making a very loud screeching sound. The bigger one Misty sniffed out at the bottom of the garden last summer. It smelled very strongly too. It stayed curled up for ages, we put some ham next to it, suddenly ate the ham and shot off into the hedge.

One can feed them tinned dogfood but not milk as will make them ill, ? Lactose intolerant. There is a good website called hedgehogstreet with lots of info and one can post any sightings too. Hedgehogs numbers are declining, people should not remove them from their habitat unless injured and them take to local wildlife trust for expert care. Female may be suckling youngsters so if removed they will starve.
8pawprints
8pawprints
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 5-6 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 30

Back to top Go down

Post by 8pawprints Thu May 03 2012, 05:00

Forgot to mention slug pellets and other garden pesticides will kill them too.
Very nice fotos of Steve, I now know what he looks like Laughing
8pawprints
8pawprints

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Misty
Dog(s) Ages : 5-6 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 03 2012, 08:42

aww those are great pics of him/her. it's so cute Love Struck

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu May 03 2012, 09:03

He does look quite healthy now I think you should keep him where he is Hayley, if you are having as much wet weather as we are he may not survive. Wait until it warms up and dries out a bit.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 03 2012, 12:00

Its actually quite dry here kathy unbelievably! I think its perfect hog weather. Dry through the day and humid at ngiht so lots of creepy crawlys about. As pawprints said it may have young so i don't want to keep it another night, going to just let nature take its course. Just wanted to make sure it was okay cause i hadn't moved much but it definitely moved last night so i think it's good to go this evening!

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu May 03 2012, 12:26

Like you say it sounds like good weather for him. The humidity will bring out his supper perfectly, go forth young hedgie and be happy Laughing
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 03 2012, 12:48

Caryll wrote:I love hedgehogs! Someone on here actually has a pet one (for the life of me I can't remember who it is!).

We get them in our garden a lot & they drive Dempsey wild - he runs up to them but won't actually touch them - I think he must've had a quill in his face at some point!

Hehe it's me!

Harv loves Dyson, chance just gets very confused! Rolling Eyes
One animal lexi can't harm..HEDGEHOG  261325_10150684898865611_586525610_19676853_7363673_n

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 03 2012, 12:49

Equi wrote:Its huge so i'm thinking its a male, dad says its the biggest one he has ever seen.

They are quite easy to sex if you can get a look at their belly, if it has an outie looking belly button you have a little boy!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 03 2012, 13:06

I don't think ill stress it out by doing that, it is wild after all. I'll just let the little mite be until this evening, its got food and water and a cosy bed so im sure its curled up now sleeping Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by dave g Thu May 03 2012, 16:33

You do know hedgehogs are full of fleas...
dave g
dave g

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bauer and pilot
Dog Gender(s) : both male
Support total : 193

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 03 2012, 19:25

The wild ones are Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 03 2012, 22:20

Yeah im sure they are! Its nowhere near any animals though and the stables are due their spring clean anyway, so they will all be getting powerhosed and disinfected.

Unfortunately due to having a bad busy day i didn't get to release him tonight as it was too dark when i got home ( i know, theyre nocturnal, but i'm not i can't see in the dark! lol)

I would have took a torch out but its very dangerous on my road, and the release site is over a river. Just not safe.

Steve will be released tomorrow!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Thu May 03 2012, 22:49

I'm starting a petition to Free Steve!
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 03 2012, 22:55

Lol! Okay. but i wont be serving orange dilute and digestive to the protesters!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu May 03 2012, 22:57

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by scott Fri May 04 2012, 09:26

Used to get them come into my garden but their has been
2that have got stuck in my mesh fence and iv had to save them
N the night. now aint had any in long time..
Might have told his mates to give my garden a miss on their
nights out.. cool spyky things...
scott
scott

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : stich lelo
Dog Gender(s) : stich(m) lelo(f)
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 05 2012, 16:36

Steve has gone! I put him out yesterday evening in his box and left him by the hedge, he was gone this morning so i assume hes off home!

Bye bye steve, never forget yooou!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 05 2012, 17:05

aww bye bye cutie !!

we get echidnas over here .there was one in the middle of the road recently and I yelled to Tony to stop the car... I held up the traffic while I tried to move it along, of course it rolled into a ball! So we wrapped it in a shirt and carried it across into the bush where it started to dig a hole to hide in under some leaves... hope it didn't try to go back across the road..

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat May 05 2012, 18:12

Ooo. They are freaky little things, i would definitely be keeping that ahhaha

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down