First season

3 posters

Go down

Thumbsup First season

Post by looby Thu Apr 26 2012, 12:57

Hi we are coming up to the time when Tinsel will be going through her first season.

We haven't been through this before as our other dog was speyed at 6 mths on vets advice.
This time the advice has been to wait till first season is over before doing it, so thats the way we will do it.

I was wondering what to expect, is it very messy? And have any of you used those doggy season pants? I found them on amazon and I'm not sure what to make of them lol

She's been acting a little strange lately so I'm thinking it won't be long, I'm kinda dreading it lol

I'm only worried about the messy bit because we are in a rented house with cream carpets which seems a recipe for disaster Smile

Thanks in advance Big Grin

looby
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages : 11mths
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Thumbsup Re: First season

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 13:11

The hygeine pants are a godsend! As long as you get the right size you'll save a lot of carpet washing!

Actually, the mess depends very much on the individual dog. Some lose a lot of discharge whilst others very little. Also, some bitches will lick themselves clean. sick

She might be a little 'down' or moody for a while, but it won't last long. Just take great care when you walk her to keep away from other dogs! Big Grin Especially in the last half of the season.

Back to top Go down

Post by alexiastra Thu Apr 26 2012, 16:50

Dora has just finished her first season. Luckily we had just moved house and the new house has tiles and laminate flooring so we didn't bother with the pants.
We did have to mop up every day though as there were a lot of spots for at least two weeks.
The hardest bit was attempting to keep her off the sofa (she is normally allowed on) - we opted for making sure she had one of her blankets under her as much as poss instead as she seemed really confused that we weren't letting her up.
I would definitely look into ways to prevent your carpet getting dirty - Dora was a lot more drippy than I was expecting!

And I would just like to underline what Caryll said about being aware of other doggies. Dora was a complete tart and wanted to meet every male dog we came anywhere near!
alexiastra
alexiastra
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
First season  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Dora
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 28

http://www.alexandrabuckle.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 16:56

With Millie there wasn't much mess at all but I have mostly laminate floors so it was easy to clean up. I think if I had cream carpets I would invest in the hygiene pants just to make it a bit easier Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 17:08

For you i would DEFINITELY get them, cream carpets and dog blood doesn't look very appealing lol

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Apr 26 2012, 17:19

Equi wrote:For you i would DEFINITELY get them, cream carpets and dog blood doesn't look very appealing lol

Yep totally agree! Hygiene pants where a god send, she only wore them at night as we where out most of the day.

Moo wasn't very messy, we did have a bit of an ordeal with an intact male dog, it was quite scary,so do be aware.

Its over with before you know it tbh Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by looby Thu Apr 26 2012, 18:55

right thats great advice, thanks guys ... off to amazon lol, better find tape measure first, make sure I get right size.

Trying to talk to my other half about this is a nightmare lol, don't think he wants to think about it, but sure he will soon notice when he's helping with the cleaning lol

looby

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 26 2012, 20:00

Tilly had 2 seasons before we had her done and it was very messy so again I would recommend the pants if you get the right size as my OH was constantly cleaning carpets and washing bedding etc (we didn't use them Sad ). Expect her to be mopey and a little strange she has a lot going on and it must be scarey for her, though some p[eople say they just carry on as normal. I would also be a little cautious round the kids if you have them as well. On Tilly's 2nd season she seemed to want her space from my daughter so if she was in her bed under my desk she would growl at Jenny if she went close, no teeth or anything just a polite warning . Any other time she is absolutely fine and can be handled in any manner roughly or gently without any problems but hormones are a strange thing.

Back to top Go down

Post by looby Thu Apr 26 2012, 20:20

oh ok, I'll bear that in mind thanks for that Dave thumbs up

looby

Status Status :

Female