Kathy
bobs
janey
*Karen*
11 posters

Go down

Anyone who has had a bitch in season Empty Anyone who has had a bitch in season

Post by *Karen* Mon Feb 27 2012, 08:31

Just wondering if any of you whose girlies have been in season if they were quite poorly with it?

Most mornings I come down to Mia and she's thrown up in the night, but she hasn't been eating any grass and she's happy and behaving normally, I think it must be where she's licking herself but obviously it don't taste too nice and so she's being a bit sick!!

Just wondering how others girls have been? I think we'r about half way thru the season now too so we'v been feeding her earlier and last night she was fine so hopefully we'r thru the worst of it!!
*Karen*
*Karen*
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 13 July 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Lady
Support total : 45

Back to top Go down

Anyone who has had a bitch in season Empty Re: Anyone who has had a bitch in season

Post by Guest Mon Feb 27 2012, 08:33

we have got a boy, but i am sure someone will be along soon to help

Back to top Go down

Anyone who has had a bitch in season Empty Re: Anyone who has had a bitch in season

Post by janey Mon Feb 27 2012, 09:09

I don't recall it really affecting Moo at all, but there all different and if she is eating and her stools are ok I wouldn't worry too much Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by bobs Mon Feb 27 2012, 09:56

Sophie wasn't sick but was a little moody and clingy. She also walked like John Wayne Blushing
bobs
bobs

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sophie
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 27 2012, 10:29

It really varies from dog to dog. I've had 4 bitches, and although none of them were sick when they were in season, a couple of them were definitely 'off', and a bit mopey.

If she's eating & drinking ok without the runs, then I wouldn't worry - it'll all be over soon!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 02 2012, 19:49

How are you getting on with it now ?? Only just seen the post !! Tilly wasn't sick but got very sore , picked up a water infection and was very mopey and miserable, bit off her food at times too , she had 2 seasons and we've just had her done a few weeks ago , now she is top banana and doesn't have to face those lady troubles any more Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Mar 02 2012, 20:06

I cannot remember my dog Judy ever being sick but was just kind of mopey and clingy, she just needed a bit more fuss for that time.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by *Karen* Fri Mar 02 2012, 21:13

Ah thanks for asking! She's been ok, little bit sicky still but it does now seem to be going a lighter shade so I'm hoping not much longer left now! She's very happy in herself tho just the mornings I dread at the moment not knowing what I'm going to wake up to lol!!

Definitely having her spayed after this though I feel too sorry for her being so poorly with it all!! Didn't want her having puppies anyway so no loss there!

Whilst we're on the subject though has anyone ever heard that its apparently good for them to have at least one litter of pups? Personally I would disagree but two people have said it to me now!
*Karen*
*Karen*

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 13 July 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Lady
Support total : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Mar 02 2012, 21:16

*Karen* wrote:Whilst we're on the subject though has anyone ever heard that its apparently good for them to have at least one litter of pups? Personally I would disagree but two people have said it to me now!

Yes but only from stupid and uneducated people!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03 2012, 00:39

*Karen* wrote:Whilst we're on the subject though has anyone ever heard that its apparently good for them to have at least one litter of pups?

Do you want the short answer, or the long answer?

The short answer is "No".

The long answer is "Nooooooooooooooooooo". Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03 2012, 03:10

Like everyone has already said, that is one of the biggest old wives tails around!

Back to top Go down

Anyone who has had a bitch in season Empty In season AGAIN!

Post by jeni9 Sat Mar 24 2012, 05:26

Hi, i have a yr old staff she was in season on the 18/11 till 7/12,she has been behaving a bit wierd this last few days,and eating grass,very very clingy,more than usual but she hasnt been sick,this morning she has come into season again after 3 and a half months,shes due to go for her spaying on the 3/4. Do you know if this is normal,i thought it was twice a yr.. regards jenny Surprised
jeni9
jeni9
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Leeha
Dog(s) Ages : 1 yr 2 months
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by stella Sat Mar 24 2012, 07:36

hia jenny from me and sasha,yes it is normally twice a year but where your girl is only a year old it might be just that she is not in a regular cycle yet,have a word with your vet as they wont spay her if she is in season.
stella
stella
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Admin

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog(s) Ages : 15years RIP
Support total : 1747

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 24 2012, 09:23

*Karen* wrote:Ah thanks for asking! She's been ok, little bit sicky still but it does now seem to be going a lighter shade so I'm hoping not much longer left now! She's very happy in herself tho just the mornings I dread at the moment not knowing what I'm going to wake up to lol!!

Definitely having her spayed after this though I feel too sorry for her being so poorly with it all!! Didn't want her having puppies anyway so no loss there!

Whilst we're on the subject though has anyone ever heard that its apparently good for them to have at least one litter of pups? Personally I would disagree but two people have said it to me now!

1 more litter of pups means a lot more dogs in the rescue , as someone that might take yours , may have got a rescue instead, the have one litter thing is an old wives tail and just ignore it , you are making the right cjhoice by having her done

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 24 2012, 09:30

stella wrote:hia jenny from me and sasha,yes it is normally twice a year but where your girl is only a year old it might be just that she is not in a regular cycle yet,have a word with your vet as they wont spay her if she is in season.

Agreed with what's said here and the vet won't do it as a rule , however, i was told by our Vet who is really good, if she proves to be very irregular and it's not just a short term thing (Tilly did have a little mini season between her 1st and second) then the Vet will consider this carefully and may agree to do her anyway , but really the best thing is to let her go through this and maybe another season and then see how she settles. You don't want her to go through any unnecessary risks and better to bide a bit of time. I know it's messy and she seems to go through the wars a bit, more pro's to getting spayed than not getting spayed but it's always better to be under controlled circumstances and you are sure she has a good clear 6 months (ish) between seasons, then 3 month and a trip to the vets when all her organs are settled down

Back to top Go down

Post by lovemystaffies Sat Mar 24 2012, 20:59

We had Madge from RSPCA and they insist on spaying before you adopt. She was 3 months when we had her and no repercussions to date. Do others think they should have a season first ?
lovemystaffies
lovemystaffies
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Max and Madge
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 6
Dog Gender(s) : male female
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by Loz&Dan Sat Mar 24 2012, 22:29

Roxy's in season I think she's been sick she's just a bit down - especially web she has to wear her nappy hehe
Loz&Dan
Loz&Dan

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jasper Faith Roxy
Dog Gender(s) : 2 Female 1 Male
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 24 2012, 23:44

lovemystaffies wrote:We had Madge from RSPCA and they insist on spaying before you adopt. She was 3 months when we had her and no repercussions to date. Do others think they should have a season first ?

There are different views on this. My own view is that a bitch should have at least one season, preferable two. But others here disagree! What a boring life it would be if we all agreed on everything! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsxg Wed Mar 28 2012, 12:41

bobs wrote:Sophie wasn't sick but was a little moody and clingy. She also walked like John Wayne Blushing

Love the John Wayne bit!! Laughing rolling on the floor

Our girl has come into her 2nd season (first with us) and she's very clingy, eating poop (other dogs), nibbling at her feet and sleeping lots.
But she's eating fine, stil wanting lots of exercise and peeing and pooping fine Smile
mrsxg
mrsxg

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog(s) Ages : 6yrs
Support total : 28

http://[url=http://pitapata.com][img]http://pdgf.pitapata.com/re

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsxg Wed Mar 28 2012, 12:48

Where do you get your nappies?! Or is it just kiddies pants? LOL!!
mrsxg
mrsxg

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog(s) Ages : 6yrs
Support total : 28

http://[url=http://pitapata.com][img]http://pdgf.pitapata.com/re

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Mar 28 2012, 12:53

Pets@Home do them Smile

http://www.petsathome.com/shop/hygiene-pants-for-bitches-on-heat-by-mikki-36680

janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Loz&Dan Wed Mar 28 2012, 23:12

i started with dog nappys but changed to baby ones. Dog ones tend to be double the price for half the amount plus you dont get all the pretty pattens on them Big Grin The current ones say little angel and are very cute lol.

All the best
Danny
Loz&Dan
Loz&Dan

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Jasper Faith Roxy
Dog Gender(s) : 2 Female 1 Male
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by kye Fri Nov 30 2012, 01:23

We had Madge from RSPCA and they insist on spaying before you adopt. She was 3 months when we had her and no repercussions to date. Do others think they should have a season first ?

as far as i know new reserch done on dogs spayed b4 thay are mature have more of a risk of long term medicall problums , the pros and cons for spaying are diffrent for each dog/bitch, spayed young bitches b4 maturity seam to have more illnesses in latter life compaired to spayed bitches that got fixed after sexual maturity.
it seams to be ok to fix male dogs young but aparintly its better to let a bitch mature first , but its up to the owner and most vets tell you the pros about fixing your bitch and not all the risks or posible long term health problems,
age and back ground of the dogs family illnesses come into it also and it is diffrent for each dog/bitch ,
i cant remember the the name of the new reserch that was done but im shure its out there to be found for enyone that looks.
good luck .
kye
kye
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Regular Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : kye
Dog(s) Ages : 2.5 years
Support total : 3

http://mansonryan@hotmail.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 30 2012, 08:44

You'll get a few different answers to that, I'm afraid!

I don't neuter at all, but if I were to I'd always wait for maturity in both dogs and bitches. So for me, that would be at least 18 months old, preferable 2 years.

However, I fully understand rescue centres wanting dogs neutered before they leave for their new homes, although I feel 12 weeks is way too young even for that!

Back to top Go down

Post by Nosipho Fri Nov 30 2012, 10:33

I have had sickness in my bitches during their season before. Only once or twice and usually at the start of the season. I guess it is the same as with people some are going to be affected by it more than others.
Nosipho
Nosipho

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : In a relationship
Dogs Name(s) : Skibadee, Tali, Kali-Mist, Nugget and Meg
Dog(s) Ages : 25/8/2005 - 01/10/2008 - 01/08/2012 - 23/10/2013992
Dog Gender(s) : All Girlies
Support total : 191

http://www.nosiphostaffords.webs.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down