Puppy and Toddler

4 posters

Go down

Puppy and Toddler Empty Puppy and Toddler

Post by burties35 Tue Dec 14 2010, 14:00

Ok here goes......

When we had our last 2 staffies we were childless and both were already 6 months old so none of the usual 'puppy training' as such was required.
With a 8 week old puppy coming to us in Jan and with us now having 3 children the youngest being 2 I am a little stressed on how I'm going to manage watching pup and son constantly. We have bought a cage to put puppy (or son) in so that he has got his own space and a chill out zone but any advice on how I could make it less stressful for myself and puppy would be really appreciated as this is unchartered territory for me.

Oh and 'no name' now has a name, we are going to call him Bodhi (bowdee) after Patrick Swayzes character in Point Break but it also mean awakening and enlightening!!

Louise xx
burties35
burties35
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Puppy and Toddler Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bodhi
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Puppy and Toddler Empty Re: Puppy and Toddler

Post by janey Tue Dec 14 2010, 14:13

Hiya, great name, like it!! I'm sorry not going to be much help as I don't have kiddies, but someone will be able too! New pup, how exciting x
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 14 2010, 14:39

My summer was just 2 when we got kaos at 11 weeks. I would say the crate was god lol also a very set routine and baby gates on as many doors as u can.
Dont be scared to put pup in crate if ur little one is getting fed up or if the pup is getting fed up he will apreaciate it as ull find while he's little his day will consist of mostly eat play wee and sleep! Its also really important not just to train your pup but to train ur 2 year old and the other kids on how to look after a dog and what they can and cant do.....ie) annoy him while he's eating, be to rough etc
If i can help with anything else let me no!
x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 14 2010, 15:08

Good advice, blaze!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 14 2010, 18:10

Don't know what to suggest except do not leave them alone EVER. My Gizmo is the loveliest dog ever and doesn't have a nasty bone in his body but he is the same age as my mates baby and when they were both 10 months Gizzy jumped up and knocked Charlie (the baby) over and Charlie bit his tongue. I felt dreadful! He was ok but most puppies are very excitable and they just love kids and don't realise their own strength.

Back to top Go down

Post by Spaldingstaffies Thu Dec 16 2010, 22:05

I have a young puppy and 2 daughters aged 14 months and 3 years. Its a bit odd but finn has sniffed our youngest daughter and will follow her around whilst she is toddling but has never once tried to jump up at her or show interest in her toys or anything really. With our 3 year old he chose to interact far more with, I guess maybe because she's more active and 'fun'? At first he made a few attempts to get up to her face to lick but we quickly taught him not to, we always supervise and if he goes near her toys then we say "no" and he loses interest. We just always taught her that her toys aren't to be shared with him and taught him the same rule and he doesn't cause any problems now, like I say, he'll have the odd sniff and a barbie and be told no and he accepts that and moves on to his own toys. She can sit and draw in her books sat on the floor with pencils and pens next to her without bother whilst he's outside of the crate. We just set the rules from the very first day and made sure everything was happening in the house at the time as it usually did, so the children were out playing with their toys and he got to learn quickly that was how it was and not to snatch there toys away or jump up. It was really really affective. Due to the toilet training he wouldn't be out of the crate for long periods so that made it easier too, I guess everything just slotted in a way. It just be that we were really lucky and nothing we did was right lol but either way I'm happy with how everything has been going
Spaldingstaffies
Spaldingstaffies
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Finn

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 21 2010, 20:27

Spaldingstaffies wrote:I have a young puppy and 2 daughters aged 14 months and 3 years. Its a bit odd but finn has sniffed our youngest daughter and will follow her around whilst she is toddling but has never once tried to jump up at her or show interest in her toys or anything really. With our 3 year old he chose to interact far more with, I guess maybe because she's more active and 'fun'? At first he made a few attempts to get up to her face to lick but we quickly taught him not to, we always supervise and if he goes near her toys then we say "no" and he loses interest. We just always taught her that her toys aren't to be shared with him and taught him the same rule and he doesn't cause any problems now, like I say, he'll have the odd sniff and a barbie and be told no and he accepts that and moves on to his own toys. She can sit and draw in her books sat on the floor with pencils and pens next to her without bother whilst he's outside of the crate. We just set the rules from the very first day and made sure everything was happening in the house at the time as it usually did, so the children were out playing with their toys and he got to learn quickly that was how it was and not to snatch there toys away or jump up. It was really really affective. Due to the toilet training he wouldn't be out of the crate for long periods so that made it easier too, I guess everything just slotted in a way. It just be that we were really lucky and nothing we did was right lol but either way I'm happy with how everything has been going

I think you have done a GRAND job.. well done to you....
I think it is very important to stick to your rules and make the puppy fit in around them. He seems like a great pup...
Would you please post some pics with your kids etc.. we would all love to see some Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by burties35 Thu Dec 23 2010, 14:32

Brilliant advice, I am still stressing but i'm sure everything will be fine. My 2 year old was used to Biddy I think i'm just getting concerned about him trying to sit on him or lean on him like he used to do with Biddy and her being as soft as a brush just let him. I will try and chill and only a week and a half to go can't wait.

Thank you and a merry christmas to everyone. dance
burties35
burties35
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Puppy and Toddler Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bodhi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 25 2010, 17:51

I have a 7 yr old and 3 yr old twins. My pup is 11 weeks old now, had him since he was 8 weeks. The best advice I can offer is the same as Blaze, its soooo important to teach children how to behave around dogs and how to interpret a dogs body language. A crate is brilliant, my Charlie takes himself off into there when he's had enough and my kids know that its Charlie's 'room' and they have to leave him alone when he's in there. Dont stress yrself about it, just keep an eye on them and they'll be fine. You'll prob find that they'll be the best of friends as they get older. My little ones love my pup and he loves them and they're always playing together. Its lovely to see, dont worry, it'll be fine.

Back to top Go down

Post by whmon Sat Dec 25 2010, 18:30

Shontelle, nothing to do with staffies but - I was a child with 2 younger twin siblings. The age difference was the same as your children (actually 3 and a half years difference) I think I just want to say that I felt marginalised as a child because the focus always was on 'the twins' - with them being younger etc. I just wanted to tell you that. I hope I'm not being out of order. I just always feel that I should explain to parents of twins with an older child how the older child feels. I'm sorry, you can kick me now.

whmon
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 25 2010, 18:52

Its ok, that's something I've always been very conscious of myself, I never wanted my oldest daughter to feel pushed out. Luckily, my friends and family all feel the same way and have made sure that she doesnt feel in any way pushed out or second best to the twins. I'm sorry it wasnt the same for you. I understand where you're coming from, it was something I was worried about when I found out I was expecting twins, but we've been lucky like I said. No offence taken Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down