Picking up stones

3 posters

Go down

Picking up stones Empty Picking up stones

Post by deuce22 Thu Apr 12 2012, 16:31

Hi.

I have a 6 year old male staff and he always likes to be carrying something in his mouth when I walk him.

I take him for walks in the morning on mountains that I live by and he keeps picking up rocks and stones. I'm concerned that he is going to damage his teeth.

I did give him a thick piece of wood to carry, but it doesn't take long before he chews it to bits and there is a lot of splinters on it, he maybe swallowing them.

I don't really want to put a muzzle on him, so is there anything that I can do.

Thanks.

deuce22
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Picking up stones Empty Re: Picking up stones

Post by janey Thu Apr 12 2012, 17:02

Hiya and welcome from me and Moo, mine always has a stick in her mouth and yes she just chews it up lol, but they do spit it out. Never had the rock thing but others here have, I'm sure they'll be along with some advice.

Do you walk him onlead? If so you could always try a halti lead, it gives you more control over there heads. Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by deuce22 Thu Apr 12 2012, 18:45

Hi Janey.

Thanks.

I don't walk him on the lead. It's a mountain range which is part of the Brecon Beacons.

He loves running and being free to do what he wants.

deuce22

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Thu Apr 12 2012, 18:50

Well I am unsure about the rocks but Moo always has a stick in her mouth, only time she drops it is when she chases squirrels lol.

Love to see some pics, sounds lovely, its great to see them roam free Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Apr 12 2012, 18:59

We have some gravel in our garden that it totally irresitable to Rocky. We have found out that when he goes for bits of gravel, usually just after he has eaten something, he is looking for something to chew to clean his teeth.

Have you tried taking a toy with you, something to keep his mouth occupied whilst walking.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 12 2012, 23:46

I try a toy that he really likes or a squirt gun to discourage him. We use this for Suki and it has cut down the behaviour some but we always keep her on lead.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 13 2012, 08:23

Hi & Picking up stones Welcome

Welcome to the staffordshire bull terrier niceboard. We are pleased you have decided to join us, and hope you enjoy your stay. We hope to see plenty of pictures of your staffordshire bull terriers or any other breed you may have in your household Smile

If you would like to enter your dog(s), puppy(s) or another pet(s) you may have into our Monthly Competition, voting starts on the 20th of every month, if you are lucky your dog maybe placed on our Hall Of Fame page on our website.

Just one last thing before you look around could you please just have a quick look At This Poll, we would love to know how you found us.

Here are some links that will get you started with the website:-

Picking up stones Icon_arrow Please read the Forum Rules before you start posting.
Picking up stones Icon_arrow Here are a List of Tutorial & FAQs that will help you around the forum.
Picking up stones Icon_arrow You can ask for Help here if you are having trouble doing something on the forum.
Picking up stones Icon_arrow If you have any ideas to improve the forum please let us know Your Feedback Here.
Picking up stones Icon_arrow We have a Website with alot of information if you would like to view it.
Picking up stones Icon_arrow Make a Donate to help us to keep us improving our forum and website.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down