Head Convulsions

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Head Convulsions Empty Head Convulsions

Post by Guest Sun Dec 12 2010, 07:28

I always found Cassie to be a little slow at everything really but i took it as her being stubbern.
Recently she's been having head convulsions. I took her to the vets thursday they took blood etc i told her that she shakes alot but only before walks and feeding took it more of a excitment kind of shake. the vet asked me to video it which i have now but the one i recorded isn't so violent as other iv seen her do.she doesn't whine but when it is violent she looks confused and dazed. placing my hand on her head doesn't stop it so i know she isn't doing it conciousely when i applied preasure thinking it might just be a muscle spasm it didn't stop it. so now i just have to wait until next thursday for the results. sick with worry i'v not slept in days i hope its not genetic the pups, taz and their sister. I don't think it is genetic because when i first had her and her sister they had the full vet works done but i can't seem to shake this nagging feeling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHKwxivogrI

Back to top Go down

Head Convulsions Empty Re: Head Convulsions

Post by janey Sun Dec 12 2010, 08:21

That is a worry, I hope everthing goes ok for Cassie, let us know the results on Thursday and just try not to worry (easier said than done) until then x
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 12 2010, 09:19

Wow you must be worried.. If it is any help it looks like what my mums dog had.. It was called Addisons .. they say it is the dogs form of Parkinsons.. but her dog was fine and lived a normal life.. he just shook from time to time.
Lets hope it passes and it is nothing serious x
Mel

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 12 2010, 09:26

I take you mean she might be having fits? ie epilepsy? It could just be her age, but obviously it could be something more. If it is epilepsy, then try not to worry too much - most epilepsy can be controlled very well with drugs. The vet will obviously advise you when he gets the results.

Mel Skora wrote:Wow you must be worried.. If it is any help it looks like what my mums dog had.. It was called Addisons .. they say it is the dogs form of Parkinsons.. but her dog was fine and lived a normal life.. he just shook from time to time.
Mel

No, it won't be Addisons - Addisons isn't a form of Parkinsons, it's actually the body not producing adrenelin. Adrenelin is produced constantly by the body in minute amounts, it keeps things like the heart, lungs, brain etc going. If there is a sudden fright or surprise the body produces a surge which enables the 'fight or flight' instinct much stronger. We've all felt that sudden 'rush' when the adrenelin surge kicks in! It rarely produces shaking of this sort, it's normally spotted when the dog suddenly has no energy, loses weight, etc.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 12 2010, 09:49

Caryll wrote:I take you mean she might be having fits? ie epilepsy? It could just be her age, but obviously it could be something more. If it is epilepsy, then try not to worry too much - most epilepsy can be controlled very well with drugs. The vet will obviously advise you when he gets the results.

Mel Skora wrote:Wow you must be worried.. If it is any help it looks like what my mums dog had.. It was called Addisons .. they say it is the dogs form of Parkinsons.. but her dog was fine and lived a normal life.. he just shook from time to time.
Mel

No, it won't be Addisons - Addisons isn't a form of Parkinsons, it's actually the body not producing adrenelin. Adrenelin is produced constantly by the body in minute amounts, it keeps things like the heart, lungs, brain etc going. If there is a sudden fright or surprise the body produces a surge which enables the 'fight or flight' instinct much stronger. We've all felt that sudden 'rush' when the adrenelin surge kicks in! It rarely produces shaking of this sort, it's normally spotted when the dog suddenly has no energy, loses weight, etc.

OMG my mum would be very upset if her vet has given her the wrong info..
That is exactly what Macca was doing.. I wonder what he "really" had//
Sorry for giving that false info then Sad
Man I am mad now,...

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 12 2010, 09:51

He may well have had a form of Parkinsons, but if he lived a full & healthy life without medication it wasn't Addisons.

This may help.........
http://www.addisonsdiseaseindogs.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 12 2010, 09:58

Intersting.. Nope.. That doesnt sound like it at all...
He didnt live a long life tho i must say... he died at age 6 which is very young for a maltese ???
As far as i know he wasnt on any medication?
I just remember him shaking alot and his back legs at times would not work.. he would drag them for the first few steps..

anyway sorry again for mis leading you Miss R
xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 12 2010, 10:02

A lot of toy breeds suffer from this type of shaking - I'm not well up on the toys so I can't say what it was, but parkinsons could well have been it. I think missrogue's dog's shaking is a little different, though - it sounds like it's all over. In staffords, the shaking often looks like it starts from the head, I think it's cause the head's so big!lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 12 2010, 10:04

Thanks for cleaning it up Caryll.. not that it matters now and I would never bring it up with mum.
Well lets pray that it is somethign simple and pup recovers quickly
x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 12 2010, 10:09

MissRogue, don't forget to let us know how you get on at the vets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 12 2010, 16:50

I Hope it is something easily sorted. Let us all know how you get on at the vets. Hope all is well and our thoughts are with you. Like said before try not too worry too much, I know thats allot easier said than done

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 12 2010, 18:12

Caryll wrote:A lot of toy breeds suffer from this type of shaking - I'm not well up on the toys so I can't say what it was, but parkinsons could well have been it. I think missrogue's dog's shaking is a little different, though - it sounds like it's all over. In staffords, the shaking often looks like it starts from the head, I think it's cause the head's so big!lol!

Cassie has a really small head because she is a cross she takes after her father the jacky and it is not the rest of her body just her head and it isn't shaking/ more wobblying, granted she shaked before food and walk but never the same time as the head convulsing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 12 2010, 20:23

When will you know the results of the vets?. How oftern is she doing this shaking of her head?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 12 2010, 20:28

Mel Skora wrote:When will you know the results of the vets?. How oftern is she doing this shaking of her head?

This thursday coming.
i'v caught her doing it about 5 times in the last 3 months.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 12 2010, 20:34

i hope Cassie will be OK, i does seem to be a neurological thing, the vet may have to do a CT scan on her to find the cause

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 12 2010, 20:40

Well at least Cassie isnt doing it everday.. my mums pup was doing it constantly.. like when a dog is cold from a bath for those few seconds.

Chin up Miss R.... lets now worry until thursday.. will be thinking of you...

I was thinking of insuring my pup?.. anyone got their dog on their medical fund?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 12 2010, 20:46

I was thinking of insuring my pup?.. anyone got their dog on their medical fund?

yeah we have Katie covered

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 12 2010, 20:49

I understand you would have Katie insured with such good blood lines.

That part of it mean nothing to me.... but the happiness of Holly and my kids mean everything to me.. they would be devistated if somehting major popped up and it cost $$$$$.
I might have to look into it and see

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 12 2010, 23:27

Mel Skora wrote:I understand you would have Katie insured with such good blood lines.

That part of it mean nothing to me.... but the happiness of Holly and my kids mean everything to me.. they would be devistated if somehting major popped up and it cost $$$$$.
I might have to look into it and see

Last edited by Shane on Wed Dec 15 2010, 18:01; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13 2010, 10:36

Dempsey's also insured. Not only the vet's fees (I would have had to pay out over £3000 in the last year if he hadn't been insured) but also 3rd party insurance. Everyone's in to suing people for the slightest thing nowadays, and Dempsey being so powerful could cause damage that I could be sued for! At least I've got the insurance to back me up if the worse comes to the worse.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13 2010, 11:23

Wow that is alot of money caryll... I am not sure third party would be needed here. But i guess with you showing Dempsey there could be a chance you may need it.. the world has gone crazy i can agree with that

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13 2010, 11:28

Mel Skora wrote:Wow that is alot of money caryll... I am not sure third party would be needed here. But i guess with you showing Dempsey there could be a chance you may need it.. the world has gone crazy i can agree with that

mel i dont show but i still have third party insurance as caryll says people will claim for anything these days you just cant be to carefull i would seriously look into it Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13 2010, 11:29

God really.. I thought the USA was bad enough. What does it cover you for?
what are you guys paying in premiums?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13 2010, 11:31

You never know when you might need 3rd party insurance.

3 years ago my friend's stafford cross bit a man who was trying to hit my friend. Although the man was arrested he brought a summons against my friend for the dog being 'dangerously out of control'. Although the case was thrown out, the insurance paid all my friend's legal bills, which would have come to a few hundred pounds.

Yes, the world's gone mad.

Dempsey's insurance costs me £13 per month (although it'll go up next renewal because I've claimed), but that's for a 'high risk' dog breed!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13 2010, 11:33

£17 a month but like car insurance i can claim 5 times every 3 years without it affecting my premium

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13 2010, 11:41

So does this insurance cover the vet as well. or just the 3rd party?
that isnt bad i guess considering that it has saved you $3000 ( dont have the correct $$ sign lol sorry)

wow that is crazy, people have lost their minds that is forsure

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13 2010, 11:43

yip thats all in

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13 2010, 11:55

Yes, that includes the vet's fees. I have to pay the first £75, but considering what it would have cost, I'm not complaining!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13 2010, 11:59

iv an excese of £50 on mine

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13 2010, 12:09

Which one you with?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13 2010, 12:15

animal friends

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13 2010, 14:15

I'll have a look at that next time round.

Back to top Go down

Post by niff Mon Dec 13 2010, 14:39

how old is this wee dog ?
niff
niff

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Shady & Dakota
Dog Gender(s) : male and female
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13 2010, 21:06

Wow that is peace of mind.. I am going to google this now and see what mine are like.. nothing stings more than a vet bill..
my poor sis has paid $2000 x 2 for cancer removal for Titan her Rotti.. they are so prone to it arent they.

Caryll you have had your monies worth that is forsure

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13 2010, 21:47

Just hope I don't need any more! Poor Dempsey, in the vets hospital twice in 6 months, once with a nasty operation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 13 2010, 21:54

i know caryll its one of those things you happyly pay but dont want to use

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 17 2010, 05:26

Vets yesterday chemical/hormone imbalance. only thing she suggested was spaying. i got to get blondy spade as well when she is six months because of her hernia so ill be killing two birds with one stone that day i guess.
I also got ripped about not doing it sooner.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 17 2010, 07:32

Well that is a good result.. at least it isnt anything that cant be treated:)

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 17 2010, 10:26

I'd get a second opinion. And before anyone jumps down my throat, I don't mean just because of the spaying. If that's what you choose to do that's fine.

I have a very good relationship with my vet & I often call her to ask questions/advice. I just called her & explained as best I could about what had happened, and the vet's advice & she said "what absolute codswollop". It's either a chemical imbalance or a hormone imbalance, unlikely to be both. If it's a chemical imbalance then spaying will have no effect whatsoever! She would have taken blood/urine samples to see which it was (if either) and would have worked from that.

Up to you.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 17 2010, 11:16

oooppss! seems to be a conflict of interest I dont want to s

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 17 2010, 11:59

In what way, Shane?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 17 2010, 18:06

Caryll wrote:In what way, Shane?

between your vet saying one thing and miss rouges saying another

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 17 2010, 19:01

Caryll wrote:I'd get a second opinion. And before anyone jumps down my throat, I don't mean just because of the spaying. If that's what you choose to do that's fine.

I have a very good relationship with my vet & I often call her to ask questions/advice. I just called her & explained as best I could about what had happened, and the vet's advice & she said "what absolute codswollop". It's either a chemical imbalance or a hormone imbalance, unlikely to be both. If it's a chemical imbalance then spaying will have no effect whatsoever! She would have taken blood/urine samples to see which it was (if either) and would have worked from that.

Up to you.

It is just a hormone imbalance but it is a chemical so i put that in there,(i put the chemical part in not my vet). apparently from her having pups her hormone levels have not returned to normal. so a few weeks after spaying the vet will do more tests to see if that was it or something else.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 17 2010, 19:09

hormone is a chemical so if its not right its imbalanced Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 17 2010, 19:13

Shane wrote:hormone is a chemical so if its not right its imbalanced Big Grin

Gold star thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 17 2010, 19:57

Get your girl tested for L2hga, got a feeling its this but a mild case.

Your vet may not of heard of this condition in staffords so wont be looking for it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Dec 17 2010, 22:07

yeah it could be that too, L-2HGA (L-2-hydroxglutaric aciduria) it affects the central nervous system with clinical signs apparent between 6 months to a year. (although it can appear later as well) symptoms include epileptic seisures, wobbly gait, tremors, muscle stiffness, as a result of exercise or excitement and altered behavior.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 19 2010, 00:29

Shane wrote:yeah it could be that too, L-2HGA (L-2-hydroxglutaric aciduria) it affects the central nervous system with clinical signs apparent between 6 months to a year. (although it can appear later as well) symptoms include epileptic seisures, wobbly gait, tremors, muscle stiffness, as a result of exercise or excitement and altered behavior.

If it is that then its a very mild case. but ill get her checked but her mum does not have it and her dads a JRT but it doesn't hurt to check.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 19 2010, 22:17

Her Mum may be a carrier so wouldn't display signs of L2hga.

Ok if her sires a JR there may be a slim chance its not L2hga ..... but this condition may not of yet been discovered if this breed suffers with this condition too.

Her sire must of been a big JR if he tied with a stafford bitch ... unless he stood on a few yellow pages giggle

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Dec 19 2010, 23:06

When I asked my vet about L2 he didnt have a clue what I was talking about so maybe the vet isnt up to date with symtoms. If the tests come back okay its worth a mention
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content