Backpack / Weight Training

4 posters

Go down

Backpack / Weight Training Empty Backpack / Weight Training

Post by Gee Thu Apr 05 2012, 10:44

Hello,

I started this topic in general chat as it didn't really fit in the other topics, please move if need be.

So, I got Troy a backpack which he has worn a couple of times without any weight just to get him used to it. He doesn't cower away from it like he used to do with his leather harness and does not appear to dislike wearing it.

The first time he wore it he seemed rather proud and walked nicely at my heel. That has changed a bit now he is used to it Laughing

Anyway, another reason I got the backpack is for his fitness and for him to work a little on our morning walk. It is around 45 minutes long but he gets no off lead time for this walk. So, I want to start adding weight. Can anyone offer some guidelines on where to start in regards to the weight and what I can eventually go up to, what not to exceed etc?

For the walk this morning I just put a tennis ball in each side..don't weigh much.

Thanks, from Troy Wink

Backpack / Weight Training 38-1

Gee
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Backpack / Weight Training Empty Re: Backpack / Weight Training

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05 2012, 11:53

I forget how old Troy is but know he is over a year. I wouldn't add any weight until he is at least 18 months at a minimum and 2 years is optimal in order to ensure that he is fully physically devolped.

Suki is 19 months and we walk her just with her pack and dog supplies that weigh about 1.5 kg total and don't use the pack but a few days a week. We plan on increasing by about 1/2 kg per month. When weight is initially added we shorten the walk and gradually build back up again.

As for maximum weight we will not go over 20% of her body weight and build up to it with the aforementioned guidelines.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Thu Apr 05 2012, 12:39

Okay cool.

Well for a few months I'll just have his doggy supplies in there or maybe just a tennis ball each side until he becomes of ideal age?

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05 2012, 12:43

I'm always err on the side of caution. Their tendons, ligaments and neromusclar structure is fully formed until 2 years of age. As a breed they are prone to certain ailments such as hip displacia and luxating patella that can have an increased chance of occurance if they are exercised to hard to early.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Thu Apr 05 2012, 12:48

I'll just load with his 'gear' until he is 2 years then, no weights as such.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05 2012, 12:52

I know waiting a bit can be hard. I got Suki's pack when she was about 9 months and really wanted to start right away.

A kg or two at 18 months is okay if you gradually increase the distance but anything more I think is best to wait and than build up slow.

Back to top Go down

Post by sarah123 Thu Apr 05 2012, 13:19

Seen different advice guidelines from various reputable sources that range from 10%-30% of dogs body weight. It depends on the breed and what they are capable of and building up the weight over a period of time, distance walked and results desired. I would not do it until 2 years old. I would not worry about hip dysplacia etc unless you are going to abuse it (which if you do your research you won't).

sarah123
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Thu Apr 05 2012, 13:39

I am definately not intended to go very heavy or abuse it at all. J

ust as described in my initial post and for his own geat, like his ball and his poop scoop.

Can't really see that as a problem personally, probably weights less that his full leather harness which he used to wear.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by sarah123 Thu Apr 05 2012, 14:12

No. I think its a great thing to do. Can't stand the emotional types that try to discourage it, and other things, due to their lack of knowledge of the real facts. It will do him a world of good Big Grin

sarah123

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05 2012, 14:19

sarah123 wrote:Seen different advice guidelines from various reputable sources that range from 10%-30% of dogs body weight. It depends on the breed and what they are capable of and building up the weight over a period of time, distance walked and results desired. I would not do it until 2 years old. I would not worry about hip dysplacia etc unless you are going to abuse it (which if you do your research you won't).

It is breed specific and for the larger breeds 30% is okay. I always say 20% because I like to be cautious when dealing with health issues. I mentioned hip displacia because it affects lots of the larger breeds and starting too heavy, soon or distance wise can cause a health issue later in life. Alot of people discourage this but I am a big believer in backpacks when used correctly.

Gee wrote:I am definately not intended to go very heavy or abuse it at all. Just as described in my initial post and for his own geat, like his ball and his poop scoop.

Can't really see that as a problem personally, probably weights less that his full leather harness which he used to wear.

I think you are okay where you are. It takes them some time getting used to a pack and if there is very little weight disparency it won't have an impact. It's somewhat like getting a young pup used to the lead in the house before taking them out it's just adapting to a different type of harness and breaking it in so it doesn't cause abbrasions from rubbing and helps you make any neccessary adjustments

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05 2012, 19:15

Sorry, but why weight train. Surely a well execised dog is a healthy dog. Is it good for them. If so, when kennys old enough i'll try it. Please educate me Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by idi Thu Apr 05 2012, 21:14

back packs are not always for weight training they are just a tool that will give the dog more of a work out on an ordinary walk and if your dog is jumpy an dpully the pack can slow them down and sometimes stop the jumping because of the weight. my dog carries everything when i take her out. she carries balls, bags, water bottle, treats and anything else i want to take out with us.

idi

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06 2012, 00:24

kenny d wrote:Sorry, but why weight train. Surely a well execised dog is a healthy dog. Is it good for them. If so, when kennys old enough i'll try it. Please educate me Smile

Alot of people don't really like the idea or use a pack. We don't use it all the time either. In my opinion it lets them feel like they have a job to do so they are happier. It also helps to devolp the muscle a bit more and helps with the energy levels.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gee Fri Apr 06 2012, 13:20

kenny d wrote:Sorry, but why weight train. Surely a well execised dog is a healthy dog. Is it good for them. If so, when kennys old enough i'll try it. Please educate me Smile

Hi,

I might just put this in my signature because I type it out so many times but here goes Smile

Troy gets a 45 minute walk in the morning before I go work.
He then gets an afternoon walk by my brother while I am at work.
On my return from work he then gets off lead time betweem 1-1.5 hours. Play fetch, sprinting, jumping etc.
He then get another little run / walk on the field behind my house before bed.
On weekends we can be out for hours on end.

My reasoning as per my initial post was:

Anyway, another reason I got the backpack is for his fitness and for him to work a little on our morning walk. It is around 45 minutes long but he gets no off lead time for this walk

Some benefits from a web search:

http://www.thatmutt.com/2008/02/29/10-reasons-to-buy-a-dog-backpack/

Your dog will get more exercise while wearing his dog backpack
Your dog can carry his own stuff in his dog backpack
Your dog can carry your stuff in his backpack, too.
A dog backpack makes a good water/beer carrier.
Your dog can carry his own doggy bags in his backpack
Carrying a dog backpack gives your dog a job to do
The dog will not be as focused on pulling
Your dog can go on more trips
It’s easier to see your dog while he wears his dog backpack
The dog backpack will last a long time

I am only starting to look into it properly so I can't give you much advise.

idi wrote:back packs are not always for weight training they are just a tool that will give the dog more of a work out on an ordinary walk and if your dog is jumpy an dpully the pack can slow them down and sometimes stop the jumping because of the weight. my dog carries everything when i take her out. she carries balls, bags, water bottle, treats and anything else i want to take out with us.

Yup,

I just want to give him more of a workout on a morning as I am concious he gets no off lead time within this walk. He also walks nicer with the backpack on for whatever reason, that a bonus for me.

Gee

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roxyrocket Fri Apr 06 2012, 14:39

It's up to you what you do with Troy. You are obviously researching the subject well and have good intentions and Troy's interest at heart. Good luck to you and I think Troy looks good in the pic with his back pack on!! Smile
Dog whisperer uses them as a training tool and also to give better exercise to the dog, like anything, if used properly they can be a good thing.
roxyrocket
roxyrocket

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Roxy
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 06 2012, 17:03

I use the backpack when time is short and I want Ty to get maximum benifit from a shorter walk. At the moment he is only carrying around 500g on each side. It slows him down and he walks brilliantly with it. I think it is also a mental challenge for them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down