Crate Training

4 posters

Go down

Crate Training Empty Crate Training

Post by jenhopper Thu Apr 05 2012, 08:01

We are on night 2 and crate training our puppy.

The first night unfortunately we didnt have the crate so he spend the night and some of the next day in our utility room. We put a towel into our cat carrier, newspaper on the floor and he seemed quite content. He had a few crys but thats to be expected.

Last night we had his crate and put him in there, seemed ok in the evening and went to sleep but come bedtime he seemed really distressed and cried almost all night long.

I have read up on crate training and we are following the 60 minute rule but all the time he is in there he barks/yelps.

Has anyone got any advice?? Do we go back to what we done on the first night until perhaps he is a little older or do we perservere???

I dont like him being distressed and also i have a next door neighbour who knocked one evening to complain when my daughter was crying because of teething so im waiting for a knock on the door about this little fella now aswell Big Grin
jenhopper
jenhopper
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel
Dog(s) Ages : 7 Weeks
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Crate Training Empty Re: Crate Training

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05 2012, 08:38

we crate trained billy, in his crate was some blankets and toys and an area with newspaper where he could go to the toilet. We kept it in the living room and he used to go in and out when he pleased, he cried for a few days but then was ok after that.

Have to got a radio to put on low near the crate so there is a bit of sound, does he go in it during the day to have a sleep, its best that you do ignore him during the night unless you feel he is really distressed otherwise you will will getting up forever.

Hopefully it wont last long and your neighbours will be ok

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05 2012, 09:55

Yes, he'll likely cry for another couple of nights, but when he realises he's comfortable & safe and that you'll appear in the morning he'll be ok. You sometimes just have to steel yourself against the awful noise, knowing that it will stop!

BTW how horrible of your neighbour to complain about a child crying!

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabbiadini Thu Apr 05 2012, 12:15

Gabbi has taken to it brilliantly!

Do you put him into the crate during the day for short spells to get him used to it being his den, this is what I did and do...along with giving treats when she went in.

Now, when she comes in from outside, she auto-runs to get into her crate and sits for a treat lol...this was happening within 2 weeks.

Keep at it and good luck.
Gabbiadini
Gabbiadini
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabbiadini Thu Apr 05 2012, 12:16

Oh, and I let her out overnight at 4 1/2 hour intervals, started at 3 hours - hard work but worth it.
Gabbiadini
Gabbiadini

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Apr 05 2012, 12:35

A blanket put over the crate will help as well

Back to top Go down

Post by jugsmalone Thu Apr 05 2012, 12:43

Giving him an old t-shirt or something like that with your scent on will help him settle with regards to the crying/barking.

It's early days and he will cry but he will get used to you and knowing he is safe. It just takes a little time to build that trust.

HTH Smile

jugsmalone
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Coleman & Buster
Dog Gender(s) : Both Males
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Eggpatch Thu Apr 05 2012, 20:58

We crate trained Neville and first night was soooooooo distressing for all of us! In fact I spent the night on the kitchen floor beside his crate with my finger in the bars through the blanket! Second night I put blanket over again and put radio on low, his favourite Classic FM! He cried for a few minutes and then went to sleep. Third night....nothing, in fact he saw me locking the door and went into the crate. I do give him a kong with 3 or 4 biscuits in. Oh, also I never put him in the crate until we are all off to bed and the Tv off. Hope some of this helps!
Eggpatch
Eggpatch

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Neville
Dog(s) Ages : 2years 4 months
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 14

Back to top Go down