Scared of men

Go down

Scared of men Empty Scared of men

Post by kathie450 Sat Mar 31 2012, 13:10

Elwood is scared or at least anxious around men. My hubby is very good with him and is keeping up the training when i`m not here, but it seems that Elwood is still nipping him. My son is home from uni for a week and when I was here the last few days Elwood was fine with no bad behaviour at all. However, last night I was at work and the nipping started again, this time to my son as well. Elwood isn`t told off about it or shouted at my any of us, and hubby is very careful not to raise his hands to him etc. He does the usual of saying No and leaving the room or turning his back on him for a few minutes. Any ideas? The behaviourist was meant to be coming out last week but couldn`t make it at the last minute Sad The other stuff we had probs with him are all coming together now after us all being consistant with him. Just this nipping men thing. I`m sure that at some point he has had a bad experience with a man, so he needs confidence, any ideas?
kathie450
kathie450
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Elwood
Dog(s) Ages : 3/3/11
Dog Gender(s) : naughty boy
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Scared of men Empty Re: Scared of men

Post by Guest Sat Mar 31 2012, 13:14

You are doing the right things. If he has had bad experiences it will just take him time to build up trust. If you can allow your OH to feed and hold the lead on walks as often as possible and just be patient.

Back to top Go down

Post by kathie450 Sat Mar 31 2012, 13:49

jstaff wrote:You are doing the right things. If he has had bad experiences it will just take him time to build up trust. If you can allow your OH to feed and hold the lead on walks as often as possible and just be patient.

Yep we are doing all that! Bless him he is such a good boy with me! batting eyelashes
kathie450
kathie450

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 31 2012, 13:52

Male dogs tend to have a stronger bond with females. If he has had a bad experience with males it will just take time, patience and consistancy but you are on the right track.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 31 2012, 15:44

I remember on Its Me Or The Dog and there was a dog that didn't like men ( or was scared of them..honestly can't remember! ) anyway Victoria got men to walk past and throw little * bits of the dogs favourite food..after a while it loved men !

Back to top Go down

Post by kathie450 Sat Mar 31 2012, 16:36

vanessa wrote:

I remember on Its Me Or The Dog and there was a dog that didn't like men ( or was scared of them..honestly can't remember! ) anyway Victoria got men to walk past and throw little * bits of the dogs favourite food..after a while it loved men !

Lol I saw that episode! I do wish she was still on the tv!
kathie450
kathie450

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down