+3
Kathy
janey
i love leah and lois
7 posters

Go down

heat Empty heat

Post by i love leah and lois Mon Mar 26 2012, 16:21

My dogs have been so miserable these last few days.Im wondering if it is down to the heat we are having at the moment.They all have been quite and sleeping a bit more than usual.And we arent even into the summer yet Laughing
i love leah and lois
i love leah and lois
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Support total : 7

Back to top Go down

heat Empty Re: heat

Post by janey Mon Mar 26 2012, 16:25

From what I've read here a lot of staffs suffer from the heat. Wouldn't worry just have fresh water available when walking Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 18:19

We always alter our dogs routine in the heat. We go out in the early morning before it gets hot and then again when it has cooled down a bit.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 26 2012, 18:24

Isn't terribly warm here. Lexi loves the heat though, in the morning she sits in a plant garden thingy, then in the afternoon she sits on the wall lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 27 2012, 05:11

Until the hot spell breaks a bit we've cut Tilly's walks right down to 2 x 20 mins and some garden time - we don't want to alter her routine too much as we never do early morning walks (6 am etc) or late evening walks ( 6pm plus) I spend time away so if I'm not home my daughter and wife do the walking so it's more a safety issue, she's fine with this and happy to run around the garden inbetween but we don't leave her out too long. I do like to try fit in a one around 7-7.30 if I'm not out to work early though as she loves to get running in the long grass as the dew at that time cools her belly Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun May 27 2012, 05:21

While it's a bit warmer we have been taking Rocky out earlier in the morning when its cooler and later in the evening again when it's cooler. He seems to prefer this anyway and its more comfortable for us too. We make sure we have our water bottles with us and a bowl for Rocky to have plenty of drinks along the way. We try to stay in the shaded areas of the wood too.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 27 2012, 05:26

kathytake2 wrote:While it's a bit warmer we have been taking Rocky out earlier in the morning when its cooler and later in the evening again when it's cooler. He seems to prefer this anyway and its more comfortable for us too. We make sure we have our water bottles with us and a bowl for Rocky to have plenty of drinks along the way. We try to stay in the shaded areas of the wood too.
For some strange reason Tilly doesn't like to take water from them bottles with the little plastic tray if that's what you mean Kathy , she's scared of them , can't convince her to go down to the river side and take a slurp as she's scared of the water , and there are no puddles to drink from Sad We have taken to carrying syringes like they use for kids medicines and give her a little drink like this though Smile,

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun May 27 2012, 05:43

Yes Dave its this kind of thing, we got it from Go Outdoors:

heat 12617-290910140656891847858

It is very handy to just stuff in the rucksac when we go out, thankfully Rocky drinks from it well, have you tried taking a small bowl for Tilly to drink from ?? These are now £1.69

Last edited by kathytake2 on Sun May 27 2012, 05:48; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : my spelling is terrible)
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun May 27 2012, 05:46

Just noticed that Go Outdoors have this water bowl Dave:

heat 11072_5031863011204891847858

It is collapsible and should fit in a rucksac OK. It costs £7.20 with the Go Outdoors card.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 27 2012, 06:49

kathytake2 wrote:Just noticed that Go Outdoors have this water bowl Dave:

heat 11072_5031863011204891847858

It is collapsible and should fit in a rucksac OK. It costs £7.20 with the Go Outdoors card.

Thanks Kathy , should be more prepared when we go out and take a rucksack ( I could fit some beers in too Smile ) we normally do if we are out for the day (rucksack not beer Blushing ) but not for our normal walks . Daughter wanted to take the bikes out today , no chance that would have finished her off good and proper. Think I will defo pop down and get a bowl though , it's a great shop and we had one open 8 miles from us just 3-4 months ago

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 27 2012, 07:03

Cairo wont drink out of those water bottle ones either.She has a foldable bowl that has a clip on it so i can hang it on her lead Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun May 27 2012, 07:07

They are a good shop we have one very close to us too. thumbs up
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 27 2012, 07:31

just got some regatta waterproof overtrousers from there for the rainy days that we don't have too often as an advance father's day present from Tilly, I really don't know where she got that idea from thinking

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 27 2012, 07:32

sorry we are going off topics , you naught moderators should know better Blushing

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Mon May 28 2012, 10:12

Pixee is tired too from the heat, not really eating her breakfast, but still eating her tea once the heat has cooled off. Her walks are shorter too at the moment, but she is happy with it. My son has a few sports water bottles, we have had one for Pixee, she loves drinking from it, with our help squeezing the water out for her. And its easy to carry in the hand for her too.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by brettj83 Mon May 28 2012, 17:27

Hi, I'm just wondering how hot it gets over there because here where i am in summer it can stay above 30 degrees for weeks. Cheers!
brettj83
brettj83
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Jabba
Dog(s) Ages : 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by asa-james Mon May 28 2012, 17:29

well we've had about 22 celcius for the last five days here, us pale faced rain dwellers arn't used to it!
asa-james
asa-james

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 117

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Mon May 28 2012, 18:56

Next on my shopping list is a non spill bowl to fix into the back of the car to give Ledger the options when its this hot, though I changed my plans on the weekend so I didn't have to take him anywhere in the car but with some leave coming up I was hoping to take him up Snowdon and for a few more day trips to the beach, luckily when we are out and about Ledger happily drinks direct from a sports cap while I hold it for him (oddly, though he loves to destroy plastic bottles he doesn't chew at his drinking one) and I have one of those foldable fabric bowls when we stop for lunch etc

Having changed to a bigger car for Ledger I am really missing air con and am very conscious about having to transport him in the heat as he isn't the most settled traveller at the best of times
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down