Nathan
janey
Kathy
8 posters

Go down

Advice needed deafness Empty Advice needed deafness

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19 2012, 20:59

Hi all

I need some advice on deafness from someone whos had experience, Mazda has been confirmed deaf thru old age she had a fall down the stairs which caused a ear infection but has resulted in total loss of hearing Sad it pretty much went over night she was "loosing hearing" for a while but weds was same as normal but thurday eve she did something shes NEVER done in her whole life, wandered out the door and simply carried on no matter how much I called her she didnt react I had to run and get her but as I did I startled her she went to bite me, I realised she hadnt heard me behind her.
Her vet (my own mum) has gave me some "basics" on how to get her attention and how we'll have to adapt as its not just her hearing shes not got great eye sight either.
Any advice would be great.
Its breaking me shes my best friend ive had her from 5weeks when she was "rescued" from a horrid backstreet breeder.
Its her 11th birthday this thursday my lil old woman so shes gonna be spoilt rotten
My lil girl today enjoying the sun Love Struck

Advice needed deafness 2012-03-19134520

Back to top Go down

Advice needed deafness Empty Re: Advice needed deafness

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19 2012, 21:03

awwww sorry to hear she's lost her hearing Sad poor girly .. hope someone is along to help you soon Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Mar 19 2012, 21:06

Ohh Nikki I wish there was something to say to help, sorry I am of absolutely no use. Mazda is a lovely dog I'm sure someone here can help. Please have a read of the link though.

http://staffy-bull-terrier.co.uk/livingwithadeafstafford.html
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19 2012, 21:10

Thank you both for your replies. Kathy im reading the link now. Its horrible I keep crying when I look at her she must think im mad x

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Mar 19 2012, 21:16

I can't really help and it must be quite sad for you, they can live a near normal life though Smile

The only experience I've had was a friend of a friend who had a deaf Spaniel, (long before I had Moo). Was such an awesome dog and a rescue.

We used to meet up with her every few weeks, being dog obsessed I was all over him and he was so cool. The owner hand signaled with him and he was so obidient!

I wanted to go out for a cig and really wanted to take the dog, owner had no probleem so off I went.

Thinking I new dogs so well I let him off lead and off he ploded towards the only road near! Me being frantic called him back, well that worked!! Being deaf!!

I got him back as he couldn't go too far bu jmade me realise what could have happened!

I guess you just adapt, his owner has it was just me that didn't think.

Hand signals work and once you learn them you'll be fine, retraining Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Mar 19 2012, 21:30

Hi again Nikki, please check the link below it may help a little:

http://www.dfordog.com/deafdogs_signals.htm

It looks like you may have a new hobby now.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Mon Mar 19 2012, 21:59

No advice sorry but had to post as she looks like the most adorable dog. wishing you the best of luck and hope you find something that helps you both.
Nathan
Nathan

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by roxyrocket Mon Mar 19 2012, 22:01

Oh thats soo sad, poor Mazda Sad
I'm sorry I cannot offer any advice but I just wanted to say She's a beautiful looking girl and wish you all the best!! Smile
roxyrocket
roxyrocket

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Roxy
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 27

Back to top Go down

Post by appollo13102000 Mon Mar 19 2012, 22:11

my murfy is almost blind and deaf he lives a normal life just has to be kept on lead when out i bought an extender so he can still wander but he copes well around the house his eyesight is worse in the dark and just be careful approaching from behind, and be careful of high pitch sounds they often freak murfy out he has panic attacks with sudden high pitch sounds if shes healthy otherwise she will adapt im sure massive hugs >Big Grin<
appollo13102000
appollo13102000

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : ruby/ nigel
Dog(s) Ages : 9 and 7ish
Dog Gender(s) : female/male
Support total : 28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19 2012, 22:15

there is someone on here with a deaf staffy cant remember her name off hand but she may be along soon to help hopefully

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19 2012, 22:22

the deaf dogs name is Eli heres a link to some pics on here she's lovely. maybe her owners will be along with some advise

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t13682-eli-deaf-staffy-as-appeared-in-the-hull-daily-mail?highlight=deaf

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19 2012, 22:24

_julie_ wrote:there is someone on here with a deaf staffy cant remember her name off hand but she may be along soon to help hopefully

It's chloe with Blake.
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t6798-could-blake-be-deaf

Have a look through her posts - I know Blakes a lot younger, but deafness isn't the end of the world. You just have to change the way you think & work with her. Teaching a few hand signals will be fun for you & will give her something to think about - mental stimulation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19 2012, 22:37

Caryll wrote:
_julie_ wrote:there is someone on here with a deaf staffy cant remember her name off hand but she may be along soon to help hopefully

It's chloe with Blake.
https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com/t6798-could-blake-be-deaf

Have a look through her posts - I know Blakes a lot younger, but deafness isn't the end of the world. You just have to change the way you think & work with her. Teaching a few hand signals will be fun for you & will give her something to think about - mental stimulation.

there are 2 on here then. so plenty advise should come through if they read this

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 19 2012, 22:42

Sue's not been on for a month or so (chloe with Blake), but hopefully she'll see this at some point & answer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Tue Mar 20 2012, 09:04

Okay, I havent got a deaf dog, Pixee, however she has a deaf owner, me Big Grin . Although hubby and son can hear. Blue cross training teaches quiet hand signals, which pixee does well with. I would suggest a vibrating collar or harness to get her attention, its a whole new ball game of training which can be fun to learn. Then try some hand signals, using the ones she still knows and teach new ones too. You want to see me and Pixee when we go on our walk, if she chases a rabbit, she is lost to my sight, I do panic, because I cant hear where she could be, however I now tap the dog lead, and call her, and use the whistle too, oh boy does she come bouncing out of no where at full speed, she knows somehow. Ever when we are on walks, and I turn round, she is no where to be seen, I go Pixee, she is right by my side and gives me a nudge to say here I am Laughing . She responses well to my voice and knows what is asked of her. Madze will soon learn that she needs to watch your face and hands to understand anything, they are very clever dogs. Use your face too, a cross face, a happy face, a funny face, a serious face, she will soon know whats what. For now I would keep her on a long lead when out till she knows what the vibrating thing means. And I would still talk to her, you just never know, can dogs lipread? Time will tell.
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 20 2012, 09:25

thats great i never knew you were deaf. life isnt as bad as it seems when the news first hits theres always to adjust and make life just as interesting and you ahve proved that. your story is an inspiration to people and i know will be of great help in this situation too. good luck to all of you. now about that saying we should see you out on walks VIDEO Big Grin i love to see dogs bounding through things they look so happy and free.

Back to top Go down

Post by Staffy lover Tue Mar 20 2012, 10:44

Thank you Julie, lets hope it helps Mazde Smile . Being deaf does not stop me doing things, the same will apply to Mazde, just have to do things in a certain way. Another thing I would do for Mazde is to always stand in front of her, and cuddle her while looking into her face with a happy smile and just talk, she will soon catch on that, she wont hear voices and ajust to face talking and lips moving. NOw I will try and get hubby to film some video footage of me with pixee, its a laugh, cos ever when out walking with hubby, I still turn round and not see pixee, shes right at my side ready to give me a nudge, which sets hubby off laughing, cos there is me going oh wheres pixee and there she is Laughing
Staffy lover
Staffy lover

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Pixee
Dog(s) Ages : 4 ish
Dog Gender(s) : Bitch
Support total : 214

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 22 2012, 12:42

They have these collars much like a shock collar only it releases a scent, you can get her used to the scent to look at you when she smells it, when she is far away you press the button and she knows to com back to you,
or a vibrating collar, but i would suggest the scent collar.

Back to top Go down

Post by Polly Pocket Thu Mar 22 2012, 20:46

Hi Nikki,

I've not had a deaf Staffy but our old greyhound Mally started to go deaf at about 12 and also lost her sight as she got older, we had to walk her on a lead at all times and make sure that we approached her from the side or head on otherwise she would jump and feel scared even of us until she had time to smell us. She got used to the restrictions when we were out and she had many happy walks, although if she met another dog she would be very grumpy with it unless it approached slowly face on. She was almost 18 when she got very ill had to be pts Crying or Very sad
Polly Pocket
Polly Pocket
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Polly, Charlie
Dog(s) Ages : 30/1/11 & 15/2/12
Dog Gender(s) : Female & Male
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxine hatfield Tue Mar 27 2012, 23:33

Greetings what a lovely dog you have in Mazda reads as if you have some links off kind members to help you, I sponser a deaf dog with Dogs Trust who has learnt from patient carers hand signals however remains nervous of strangers so i cannot go visit her but my staffies write to Lilly regularly. Im sure if you contacted Dog Trust they would be able to give you some good advice on communication skills with Mazda. Good luck with your dilema and please keep us informed on your progress and kiss and cuddle Mazda for me.xxx

Maxine hatfield
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Bruno and Jade
Dog(s) Ages : 5 and 6 years
Dog Gender(s) : dog and bitch
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content