Do you all let your dogs sleep in the house?

4 posters

Go down

Do you all let your dogs sleep in the house? Empty Do you all let your dogs sleep in the house?

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 22:40

I have been reading thru some old posts on this forum
and I am wondering where all your dogs sleep?

I am planning on making her sleep in her crate, at least till she is house trained.... then is it ok to let her sleep on the end of the kids beds?...

How do you stop the "doggy"smell in the house?.
Thnaks

Back to top Go down

Do you all let your dogs sleep in the house? Empty Re: Do you all let your dogs sleep in the house?

Post by janey Mon Dec 06 2010, 22:50

Most will advise not on the beds but mine does! Both my staffs have lived indoors, the house (my first) and now a flat (which is even harder)! and mine doesn't smell, well I dont think it does anyway!
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Do you all let your dogs sleep in the house? Empty Re: Do you all let your dogs sleep in the house?

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 22:54

LOL Janey that is what i am worried about.. we all get used to the smells in our own homes.. I am wondering if "other" people can smell it
I have been scared for life... my friends mother had 3 small dogs in her house and you would have to hold your breath when you walked in there as it was gut wrenching..... I had to do my best not to dry reach when i was there... I knwo I would never let her get to that stage.... but the thought stays with me Sad

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 22:57

To be honest, I've never been in a staffy home that smelled bad! They do tend to be reasonably clean dogs (apart from the odd roll in sonething - but that can be countered with doggie body wipes).

Bandit used to sleep on our bed, but I don't allow Dempsey to, because he's far too big & would leave us no room at all! He does, however, sometimes sneak into my son's room & I'll find him curled up under the duvet with him!

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Dec 06 2010, 22:57

Honestly don't worry, my place doesn't smell at all, not to anyone and yes I have funny un dog loving friends!! Really staffords aren't that smelly, they dont need lots of baths either, you have picked a great breed for un smelliness lol
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 23:01

Oh thank god lol
Thanks for putting my mind at ease.
Also sorry I am just asking questions as I think of them Smile

When she is at the beach, playing in the water, sand etc...
Do i need to rinse her off when we get home?
When we used to take the Germ Shep to the beach... my dad would always use sunlight soap on their coats ,, he swore by it.. and I remember "gamma" wash????
is that used these days?.. I am talking 23 dogs back in the easly 80's?

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Dec 06 2010, 23:04

Never heard of it myself! Sorry. If Moo has been in the canal lake etc I always used to rinse her off with the hose (which she hated) and then let her dry outside, I dont let her swim in the winter cause its too cold. I dont have a garden so keeping smell to a minimum without putting her through hell is a must!
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 23:10

http://www.petco.com/product/109327/Earthbath-All-Natural-Puppy-Grooming-Wipes.aspx

SOmething like this looks ok... I have a huge pet store just up the road
so i will have a look in there too

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 23:12

Yes, that looks good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 23:15

excellent.
Great thanks... i wont bother with the essential oils etc... I didnt even know these existed..
I will use the oils in my oil burner in the house PMSL

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Dec 06 2010, 23:19

Thats the way, I have scented candles! They really dont whiff that much! Promise lol
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 23:21

Janey wrote:Thats the way, I have scented candles! They really dont whiff that much! Promise lol

I have incense burners around the home - out of reach of Dempsey!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 23:23

I actually have an electric oil burner... ( the youngest child kept touching the candles)... so i can just add a few drops in that each day and keep the house smelling great.
thanks for those tips... There are alot of the wipes on ebay too.. so I will have to have a look around.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 06 2010, 23:56

I agree, i dont find that staffys smell, unless they rolled in something or ate something that dont agree with em and release those hair curling gas leaks hahaha .. but as far as my staffys have gone none have ever made the house smell, or have i ever been told the house smells of dog, room sprays and scented things etc always get rid of the slightest smell tho so you should be fine! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by HazelJ Tue Dec 07 2010, 04:49

Hi Mel gr8 to have another Aussie on here, my 2 dogs sleep inside on my bed actually, well i sleep on their bed Laughing . i get them hydrobathed every month and IF they do smell i know it's bath time again lol.
HazelJ
HazelJ
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Do you all let your dogs sleep in the house? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harley, Mia
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 05:50

Hi HazelJ,

WOW they both sleep in your bed.. I am such a light sleeper.. I dont even like my husband sleeping in my bed PMSL..I think she will prob sleep with my eldest daughter as she has a queen size bed.. or maybe my 7 year old who is 19kgs! weed he is lol
So most of you would agree that Staffy's are a good stinking dog for a house freak like me!!! lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 07:32

Mel I have two dogs and I am really funny about smells my best mate is really honest to honest sometimes and she says she dosent know how I do it cos the house never smells ov dogs. I just make sure I mop through everyday and when they have been out and it is wet i have a clean towel waiting for when we get back and rub them down before they come in.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 10:06

Your dogs can sleep where ever you want them to. I personally dont allow my dogs upstairs at all let alone anywhere near my bed haha, but thats a personal choice. Its up 2 you! But just be warned if u let them sleep with u then decide u dont want them to it can be a very hard habit to break, try to set your rules and stick 2 them xx

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 10:44

Thanks Blaze666, I think that is what I have to think about.... is it a habbit that I even want to start... as I said I am a light sleeper and at times wish I had my very own room lol..
I would be fine with it as long as she doesnt wake me up all bloody night heheheheh.
Maybe i should just let her sleep with my daughter who is bomb proof.. she sleeps 13 hours straight thru with our builders banging around her head..!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 12:03

how old is your daughter?? If she is young i dont really think that would be a great idea, i no it sounds a bit like im making up senarios (spelling?) but dont think of a little pup sleeping with her think of a 25kg fully grown mucseled staff sleeping with her, what if holly was to have a nightmare and wake up confused or if ur daughter was to have one and lash out in sleep etc....u never no what may happen. I love and trust my 2 dogs but i dont leave them alone with my kids (again a personal choice) as it only takes something very small to happen and the dog to react......up to u though Big Grin x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 12:06

blaze666 wrote:how old is your daughter?? If she is young i dont really think that would be a great idea, i no it sounds a bit like im making up senarios (spelling?) but dont think of a little pup sleeping with her think of a 25kg fully grown mucseled staff sleeping with her, what if holly was to have a nightmare and wake up confused or if ur daughter was to have one and lash out in sleep etc....u never no what may happen. I love and trust my 2 dogs but i dont leave them alone with my kids (again a personal choice) as it only takes something very small to happen and the dog to react......up to u though Big Grin x

In full agreement. I would never leave any dog totally alone with a child. Sometimes a dog can wake from a dream & be confused for a few seconds - if your daughter were to wake up as well, and make a sudden movement, Holly might go for her out of reaction.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 12:09

so there's the nickname the nanny breed out the window then

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 12:11

Not at all, unless u have taken the name the "nanny breed" to litterally mean looking after the kids while u go down the pub lol x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 12:13

my old staff always slept in my daughters bed since she was child and never had any problems.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 12:14

Ok thats good but i personally wouldnt take the risk where my kids were concerned x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 12:15

if you own a staff you should be able to trust it 110% and if you cant do that you shouldn't own that dog anymore

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 12:19

Although I agree with you, Shane, there are circumstances where the dog may not be in control of itself. I'm not saying that there would be bad injury caused, maybe even no contact whatsoever, but it could still happen - no fault of the dog/owner/child. Just wrong place/wrong time as it were.

Yes, I trusted Bandit 110%. But even so, my kids were not left alone with him - I supervised (even if it was loosely) all the play & interraction just in case.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 12:21

I cant trust my hubby 110% let alone a dog! lol A caryll says its not nesseserily the dog u dont trust but the situations its put in and circumstance! x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 12:23

blaze666 wrote:I cant trust my hubby 110% let alone a dog! lol

rolling on the floor rolling on the floor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 12:36

well in my book if you cant have trust your wasting your time. and if any of my dogs even showed their teeth to any of my kids or anyone's else s they would be gone in a blink of an eye. but i know this wont happen cause i know my dogs and all their traits thats why i can honestly say i trust them 110%. i can give you an example my little fella came home from school yesterday and ran straight into the kitchen and jumped on top of Katie who was fast asleep on the couch, she dint even blink an eyelid or whelp or cry she just sat up and then licked the face off him, and when you see that happening you the score then about you're dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 12:43

My kids that do that 2 my dogs as well with the same reaction but i couldnt live with my self if one day for whatever reason it didnt pan out that way and i want there and certainly i could never advise someone who is asking for help to let there dog sleep with their child, just in case..... if they make the decition to then fine thats their decition and it really is fine but i could just never advise it x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 12:45

From the previous posts I think they are saying that you can 110% trust your dog but it may wake up having a knightmare and lash out. Don't know about you but I've had dreams about stuff happening to my kids and I wake up crying lol.
But I understand where Shane is coming from too, I grew up with a house full of GSD's and never had a single problem. Didn't even think about being a kid and left alone with them.
Just out of interest has there been any cases where a dog from an owner who knows a dogs language, randomly attacked a child from having a knightmare? Did they do this even though they showed no other signs at all of aggression problems for example?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 12:50

lol i completley see what shane is saying as well and no i dont no personally of ANY examples to share with u but im still saying that PERSONALLY i just choose not to leave my dogs and kids alone together not because i dont trust my dogs OR my kids just because i dont trust circumstance and i couldnt live with myself if 1. anything happened to my kids and 2. if anything happened to my kids what would have to happen to my dogs regardless. I just think to avoid any possible problems occuring i would rather not leave them together unsupervised, and could only ever advise the same thing if asked. x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 12:55

Im the same but only cos modern day life has got me paranoid lol
I get thats your opnion....it's the way I work too.
Just got my mind wondering if their had been cases of a dog waking up and attacking out of the blue. Like I said I've had bad dreams about my kids and woke up crying, to be honest it has put me in a fowl mood all day lol, so I guess dogs must have dreams too that can make them behave out of charater, just not heard of any myself

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 12:57

No nor me i must admitt lol so im not saying what i do is justified particularly lol but i do it all the same and will always do it....just 2 be on the safe side! x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 13:11

Dempsey has woken up growling a couple of times, but never any show of teeth or intention to bite.

However, IF the worse scenario happened, I would not only feel that I've failed my child, but also that I've failed my dog because he/she would have to be pts.

As I've said before, when my kids were toddlers (they're only 18 months apart) they both learned to stand by grabbing Bandit's scruff & hauling themselves up. I trusted him 100%, but I could have understood the odd little growl (which never happened) and would have forgiven it, although at least I would have been on hand to 'save' Bandit from further yanking by the kids & to tell the kids not to do it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 15:09

Oh I couldn't imagine the guilt if something did happen thats why I don't take chances. I will have to google it too see if I can find any examples when this has happened......im intrigued now lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Dec 07 2010, 15:13

i always had dogs on my bed but you still got to be careful with dog with young kids.

be warned they take over your bed lmao i got a king size bed and wake up with every little room Laughing but i dont mind really they would wake me up straight up if anybody was trying to break in

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 15:18

Now I have the image of you going on a night out and pulling, and bringing her back to a bed full of dogs Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Tue Dec 07 2010, 15:23

Laughing ooo they all stay on their beds when i go out lmao

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 15:25

Laughing Anyway don't think Janey would mind Surprised
Laters im off to play that hide and seek game again

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 07 2010, 21:49

Ok wow.. that is interesting reading there.
My eldest is 10. But yes I fully understand where you are all coming from.
My little one is the roughest so we will need to watch her at all times, she has never had a puppy before.

I think perhaps her crate might be the perfect place to sleep.. at least then when we go camping with her she will be used to sleepign in there Wink
thanks for everyones imput x

Back to top Go down

Post by youngkaiser Tue Dec 07 2010, 21:51

I have kaiser in my room with me he does sleep on my bed most the time but if i dont want him to he knows to sleep in his bed and he has done that from a pup
youngkaiser
youngkaiser

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Kaiser
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down