1st collar/harness and starting toilet training

Go down

1st collar/harness and starting toilet training Empty 1st collar/harness and starting toilet training

Post by MarcoLondon Wed Mar 07 2012, 23:30

Big Grin Many thanks again for the warm welcome and first advice on websites and what to buy.

Next question:
Harness or simple collar and leash for my puppy girl of 8wk? If so, which size should I get for her neck?
I want to buy it before she actually comes home.

I know the Vet will answer these questions, but...

1) should I wait another couple of weeks before walking her out? I would wait until after the 2 vaccinations are taken... my wife says that the important is not to let her stay where other dogs are.... is she right? or, as I believe, we should wait a little longer before taking her out?

2) Is the toilet training going to happen indoor only for now (she is 8wk when comes home and we DO NOT have a garden in London)? If so, where is best to position her Toilet area? next to her Crate or can I place it any where else? I guess she'll be too young to hold until morning, so, unless I get the right timing when I wake up mid of the night to let her do her business, she will use the Crate for that... right? should I fold the Vet bed inside, so to leave her half of the big crate with newspapers? or is it best to stick with another out-of-the- crate toilet spot and what happens at night happens?

If yes... what is the best place to get her toilet area?
How do I make her understand that Crate is not the toilet, but the Pad is... and then that the pad is not anymore the right area, but outside is...
What are the growth stages?

for example something like this?
0-2 months with mum and no training
2-4 months indoor toilet training
4-6 months outdoor toilet training
etc.

Sorry.. I am a bit confused and do not like to do things without a plan Blushing

Thanks guys
MarcoLondon
MarcoLondon
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dog(s) Ages : 29th Jan 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

http://www.ultimateconditioningcoach.com

Back to top Go down

1st collar/harness and starting toilet training Empty Re: 1st collar/harness and starting toilet training

Post by Guest Wed Mar 07 2012, 23:41

8 weeks is too young to let her out , I think after 13 weeks injections then youy can walk. Very little walks to start as it s a big old scarey world out there so toilet stops and a little tootle.
Put the precautions in her cage for night time only.
Lots of praise when she wees on some paper outside the cage and take the paper slowly to the door , baby steps.
Can't comment on the not having a garden but sure people on here can for tips and tricks

Back to top Go down

1st collar/harness and starting toilet training Empty Re: 1st collar/harness and starting toilet training

Post by Guest Wed Mar 07 2012, 23:45

take her to the pet store and buy the collar / harness to fit properly. We bought Tilly both but a collar should be fine at 8 weeks, try taking her round the house on her collar and lead before going outside just to get her used to it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 07 2012, 23:51

we ended up getting a harness because all the collars were too big at that age but a cat collar will fit (just not flea ones) the pet shop will let the dog in and try them on. toilet training will be indoors getting the pup to go on the training mats then when this is ok it will then be moving toward the door. walks i would wait untill 2 weeks after the 2nd round of vaccinations too.

good look and enjoy your new addition puppies are so lovely dont forget to post lots of pics for us to enjoy

Back to top Go down

Post by MarcoLondon Thu Mar 08 2012, 07:58

Thanks for the sensible advice!! I will follow and keep you posted.. I am sure I will need lots of more tips from you guys.. when I bother you, just let me know..... sorry! ahahhaa...

Have you all a good day!

Marco
MarcoLondon
MarcoLondon

Status Status :

Dog(s) Ages : 29th Jan 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

http://www.ultimateconditioningcoach.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 08 2012, 08:16

good luck with everything and dont forget we are here to help, and dont forget some pics when you get your puppy

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Mar 08 2012, 09:25

I like harnesses that are adjustable so she can grow into it. For the toilet training just lots of praise when she does the right thing and clean up and remove the smell when she does bad. Take her where you want her to use the toliet after eating, slleping or playing as she will likely have to go.

We don't have a yard either just a small outdoor area. We bought a bit of grass and Suki uses that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down