+3
CMR
*Karen*
duggie
7 posters

Go down

Please dont flame me! spring poles Empty Please dont flame me! spring poles

Post by duggie Wed Mar 07 2012, 06:55

Can i just start off this topic by saying sasha is nothing more than a loved family member in no way is a she a status symbol, if she was she`d make me look like a fairy i might aswell go out with a tutu on!

While up at my mums with her she ran up the side of the garage and took hold of a peice of wood and pulled it clean off! for no reason she was playing with the labs and she just went bezerk and spotted it and it got me thinking she would play on a spring pole

i was thinking of building her one on the side of the shed so she can take her energy outside + it might save us a fortune on toys she constantly shreds! she was given a new rope toy the other week we went out 5 minutes after she got it and we were away no longer than 20 minutes, it was shredded!
i had a look online and i read it should never be so high that the dogs hang from it nor should it be used under 1 year she's nearly 8months old would it be ok to have her use it ? i mean it cant be much diffrent to me playing with her with a toy provided it was at her height ?

duggie
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : sasha
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Please dont flame me! spring poles Empty Re: Please dont flame me! spring poles

Post by Guest Wed Mar 07 2012, 08:10

I love spring poles and wish we had room to get Suki one. I think they are great for tiring them out. However, I would hold off until she is at least 18 months and to be really safe 24 months. She is still devolping muscles and tendons and even if the spring pole is at the right height so she can't get her hind legs off the ground she could still potentially hurt herself. They just don't know when to quit sometimes and are full of energy so better safe than sorry

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 07 2012, 08:17

I don't have a problem with spring poles, I know some people think it makes you look like you are training a dog for fighting but I don't believe that.
I would love one to give Russell an alternative to pulling the washing off the clothes line!

I'm not an expert but from every thing I have read it is not a good idea for a pup, i.e. staffy under 12-18 months.. they are still developing so it could do some damage with the pulling and straining especially if it becomes an obsession - which I'm sure it would!

and you are right you mustn't have it too high so that they hang, the dog should be able to stand on its back feet.

I'd say wait till she's a bit older and then go for it Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 07 2012, 08:26

agree with the above you must wait until she is older

Back to top Go down

Post by *Karen* Wed Mar 07 2012, 08:41

Sounds like good exercise and I'll be looking to get Mia set up with one when she is old enough, I'll probably wait until she is closer to two though cus she's always been on the smaller side!!
*Karen*
*Karen*
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog(s) Ages : 13 July 2011
Dog Gender(s) : Lady
Support total : 45

Back to top Go down

Post by CMR Wed Mar 07 2012, 09:05

those that would criticise you for having a spring pole probably already bad mouth you for having a staffie so it might be of no loss. you can really get your dog tired on it so it can't be a bad thing. word of warning though I've seen a dog die of heart attack playing with it as the owner left the poor lad unsupervised in the garden and he just kept going.

even at this age you can make a low one so that the from legs don't come off the floor and hang it up only when you are around. as your dog will come up to 2 raise it slowly so that the front legs have to come off the floor but never the back legs.

I make mine with used bike inner tubes and it gives you the option to fold it more if you want less spring. and it's free...

CMR
CMR
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Lucy
Support total : 15

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Mar 07 2012, 09:17

training like this could injury your dog and cost ££££ to fix you have to thinking about this if you dont have this type of money i would just stick to plenty of walks and good food.

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Wed Mar 07 2012, 09:21

Nowt wrong with springpoles if used correctly Wink ... 8mths is a little young tho TBH, I'd stick with games of tug with with her for a few months yet (which will keep her interset in that type of play, and SLOWLY prepare her jaw, neck, back, shoulders etc) she's just a baby remember at the mo despite how strong she may be Wink
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Post by duggie Wed Mar 07 2012, 10:45

Following your advice i`l wait till she's a bit bigger in the mean time i`l keep her away from any garages lol!

i was thinking if i did set something up have it so she can bite it while on all fours so she's really only replaced me for the the "pole" even if strictly speaking its not a spring pole just an L shape bracket on the shed with her rope more so tug of war with an object she wont move and if she dose i`l eat my hat lol

having thought about it thats two people thats avoided us when out for walks lol

duggie

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 07 2012, 14:25

I don't agree with spring poles i think its complete laziness on the owners part.
it will encourage your dog hang on, tear and not let go, which is bad behaviour just waiting to happen when you want to take something off her in the future, even playing tug a war, your encouraging a stiffness/ a fight between you and her/your dog which will lead to bad behaviour.
They say it lets them get their frustration out, their excess energy, which if being walked correctly and often shouldn't happen anyway.
strap on some roller blade and have her pull you around the bloke a few times (when she is old enough) its safer and healthier mentally and physically for your dog.

Back to top Go down

Post by duggie Wed Mar 07 2012, 15:33

Seams i have opened a can of worms lol!

duggie

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Mar 07 2012, 15:41

Well everyone will have different opinions on them but if u do decide to make/buy one for her when shes older then just make sure u have fully researched them so as not to put her in danger ie. not having it to high etc . I personally dont see the harm if they are used correctly but dont intend to use one myself Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by derbystaff Sat Mar 10 2012, 22:47

nothing at all wrong with spring poles, use your dog to its strengths i say. Always make sure you're in control though, make sure you can call him off it straight away and don't let him at it again til you say so. perfect way to keep a staffy fit
derbystaff
derbystaff
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : bruce
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Sun Mar 11 2012, 01:30

I have found this to be a polarizing topic. However, I do have one and Monte loves a good game of spring pole, especially on a rainy day. He would play tug for 2 hours straight if I let him, but since he loves to swing the spring pole he jumps quite a bit but only so he can shoot it in the air. You can start with a flirt pole at 8 months old and if sasha loves tug, she will love flirt. It is exercise, I don't see that as a lazy thing. No worse than a person using a stationary bike or lifting weights. However, I know this is one of those things you can go round and round on and people are always going to have strong feelings. If you decide this is what your girl would love, my recommendation is not to advertise it or do it in a public place. I personally do mine in the garage with mats under the contraption.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down