DOG spring poles (not a sale)

+4
Pado
Summerisle
Andy
andynlucy789
8 posters

Go down

DOG spring poles (not a sale)  Empty DOG spring poles (not a sale)

Post by andynlucy789 Thu Feb 02 2012, 12:14

Hi i dont no if i have put this in the righ place so sorry if i have

THIS IS NOT A SALE IT IS PURLEY FOR COMMENTS

FOR ALL YOU PEOPLE WHO HAVE DOGS,we are intending on making whats called a spring pole,it hangs in your garden (wherever u choose) and is like an unlimited game of tug of war for your pets.not only is it good for their health but keeps them occupied too. what i want to no is do you think this is a good idea and would you at some point consider buying one for you dog..pls let me know thanks.pls watch this vid, there is a problem with the video, the owner as got it set up wrong the dogs back legs should be just on the floor, thanks Big Grin Big Grin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATS7ZsKMynk&feature=player_embedded

better video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tooEC2bAYnY

Last edited by andynlucy789 on Thu Feb 02 2012, 16:03; edited 5 times in total
andynlucy789
andynlucy789
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

DOG spring poles (not a sale)  Empty Re: DOG spring poles (not a sale)

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02 2012, 12:20

Depends on the age of the dog. They should be 18-24 months before you start using this and as you said their hind legs should remain in contact with the ground. I wouldn't use this earlier because they are still devolping their neuromuscular structure and their joints can't properly support vigorious activity earlier and could lead to health issues later in life.

Alot of people will mistakenly associate this with dog fighting in some areas but it is great exercise for them IMHO

If we had the space I would have one for Suki when she was the proper age, espically since her favorite game is tug Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Thu Feb 02 2012, 15:30

Not a very good clip to use IMO, seeing a bully jump that far into a wall and hang on to a lure that high up isnt really doing the idea of a springpole any justice, and is just a poor setup doh

However, I prob would get one if Max showed enough interest (have tried when he was younger off a tree and he got bored too quick unless I was with him) and obviously I would set it up right Wink
Andy
Andy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Post by andynlucy789 Thu Feb 02 2012, 15:55

Andy wrote:Not a very good clip to use IMO, seeing a bully jump that far into a wall and hang on to a lure that high up isnt really doing the idea of a springpole any justice, and is just a poor setup doh

However, I prob would get one if Max showed enough interest (have tried when he was younger off a tree and he got bored too quick unless I was with him) and obviously I would set it up right Wink

yeah they have got it up high but its just the idea of then, aslong as there back paws are on the floor they are fine Big Grin
andynlucy789
andynlucy789

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by andynlucy789 Thu Feb 02 2012, 16:02

just got a better video

andynlucy789
andynlucy789

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02 2012, 16:17

I hate them, i think they are a prime example of teaching a dog to hold on and not let go which for a bully breed is NOT something that should be encouraged in my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by andynlucy789 Thu Feb 02 2012, 16:27

all it is, is a exercise for them, so why do people think it will make there dogs nasty
andynlucy789
andynlucy789

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Summerisle Thu Feb 02 2012, 16:35

Equi wrote:I hate them, i think they are a prime example of teaching a dog to hold on and not let go which for a bully breed is NOT something that should be encouraged in my opinion.

You can train a dog to let go quite easily.
Summerisle
Summerisle
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Jimi
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Pado Thu Feb 02 2012, 17:29

Last edited by Pado on Sat Mar 03 2012, 03:43; edited 1 time in total

Pado
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
DOG spring poles (not a sale)  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dog Gender(s) :
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Thu Feb 02 2012, 17:44

andynlucy789 wrote:just got a better video

Yeah thats a better vid mate Wink , you cant really beat a tree for this IMO, as it needs to be far enough away from a wall to avoid the first vid, and strong enough to take the abuse a fit heavy dog can put it through

I'm still undecided about them tho TBH thinking ... my main worry would be the teeth issue!!, we all know how strong they are and can hang and pull/shake all day long, but lets face it, thats not really what their gnashers are for, and I would be mortified if my boy broke a tooth Sad
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Thu Feb 02 2012, 17:47

they not my cup of tea also i would rather give my dog an good walk twice a day..

if anybody saw that they may think you training your dog to fight and report you.

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02 2012, 17:52

to be perfectly honest and i will probably get berated for it but i do not agree with them and do not see the point in them. although i know they are staffies they are dogs and as such should and can play like a normal dog. they have a strong enough jaw so i do not agree with the poeple that say they do this as exercise to strengthen the jaw. to strengthen it for what. i can understand strengthening muscles if you do sports but what sport involves a strong jaw (fighting a side oibviously) i have a staff and staff cross who love tug of war but i would not give them one of these they can play with each other or with us or play some other game like fetch the damn ball like anormal dog. my 2 love to play fetch. someone pleae tell me what this pole is for and WHY it is used.

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Thu Feb 02 2012, 18:56

Its just another way to work a bull breed IMO, as you said Julie, any decent responsible owner has no interest in bite strength etc .. but I'm all for staffy's using their natural power to enjoy anything that makes them work a bit Smile

A flirtpole is prob my preferance over the springpole, but TBH, Max's bit of weight pulling we do is by far the best work for him, over and above the normal excercise he gets of course Smile

Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Feb 02 2012, 20:26

thanks for that andy basicaly its a toy. good for one dog to play tug but if you have 2 they play with each other.

Back to top Go down

Post by andynlucy789 Thu Feb 02 2012, 21:21

_julie_ wrote:thanks for that andy basicaly its a toy. good for one dog to play tug but if you have 2 they play with each other.

yes thats all it is a toy for dogs,,, i wouldnt even think of makeing somethink to encouarge dog fighting
andynlucy789
andynlucy789

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Radiantpaper Thu Feb 02 2012, 23:53

Not my bag, but each to their own.
Radiantpaper
Radiantpaper

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bella
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 2

http://www.zestlifecoaching.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 03 2012, 00:29

Sorry but its not my cup of tea i wouldn't want my dog to get into the habbit of tugawar, it can and has been proven to be an encouragment for bad behaviours. No dog should be in that state of mind, I do not care what anyone says, i'v seen all vids it is not "play" the body is rigid, tail is stiff even when wagging. the dogs in all the vids i have seen do not want to toss the toy up in the air or fetch it to its owner, it wants to tear it apart and loves the challenge that is not co-operating with it, it is fight, it is kill, and no dog should be encouraged to do either.
The fact that you showed a video of a pup using it is bad enough, they are not physically developed enough for that sort of thing, which will lead to physical and behavioural problems. This idea is already being used by those who are immature, Far enough there are some responsible owner who chose this "activity" but i would personally never recommend it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 03 2012, 11:15

MissRogue wrote:The fact that you showed a video of a pup using it is bad enough, they are not physically developed enough for that sort of thing, which will lead to physical and behavioural problems. This idea is already being used by those who are immature, Far enough there are some responsible owner who chose this "activity" but i would personally never recommend it.

That's very true.

Back to top Go down

Post by Soz Fri Feb 03 2012, 22:02

_julie_ wrote:to be perfectly honest and i will probably get berated for it but i do not agree with them and do not see the point in them. although i know they are staffies they are dogs and as such should and can play like a normal dog. they have a strong enough jaw so i do not agree with the poeple that say they do this as exercise to strengthen the jaw. to strengthen it for what. i can understand strengthening muscles if you do sports but what sport involves a strong jaw (fighting a side oibviously) i have a staff and staff cross who love tug of war but i would not give them one of these they can play with each other or with us or play some other game like fetch the damn ball like anormal dog. my 2 love to play fetch. someone pleae tell me what this pole is for and WHY it is used.

by MissRogue on Fri 3 Feb 2012 - 0:29
Sorry but its not my cup of tea i wouldn't want my dog to get into the habbit of tugawar, it can and has been proven to be an encouragment for bad behaviours. No dog should be in that state of mind, I do not care what anyone says, i'v seen all vids it is not "play" the body is rigid, tail is stiff even when wagging. the dogs in all the vids i have seen do not want to toss the toy up in the air or fetch it to its owner, it wants to tear it apart and loves the challenge that is not co-operating with it, it is fight, it is kill, and no dog should be encouraged to do either.
The fact that you showed a video of a pup using it is bad enough, they are not physically developed enough for that sort of thing, which will lead to physical and behavioural problems. This idea is already being used by those who are immature, Far enough there are some responsible owner who chose this "activity" but i would personally never recommend it.

I totally agree with the two posts above. I hate these things. Its bad enough when you meet people who instantly judge your staffie as a vicious dog without knowing him, but to see people 'exercising' staffies like this just re-iterates biased peoples views. Horrible Sad
Soz
Soz
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Chase
Support total : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 03 2012, 23:21

I haven't watched the vid ( I'm off to beach ) but I have a 50 kg rope bolt in my roof for Holly. I tie her fav tug toy on there, or a bone and she plays for hours. It's only 1 foot off the ground. I don't see it any different than playing tug with them . Of course she would rather play with us , but when I am working and kids at school she loves it

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 03 2012, 23:22

I haven't watched the vid ( I'm off to beach ) but I have a 50 kg rope bolt in my roof for Holly. I tie her fav tug toy on there, or a bone and she plays for hours. It's only 1 foot off the ground. I don't see it any different than playing tug with them . Of course she would rather play with us , but when I am working and kids at school she loves it

Back to top Go down

Post by andynlucy789 Sat Feb 04 2012, 10:53

Mel wrote:I haven't watched the vid ( I'm off to beach ) but I have a 50 kg rope bolt in my roof for Holly. I tie her fav tug toy on there, or a bone and she plays for hours. It's only 1 foot off the ground. I don't see it any different than playing tug with them . Of course she would rather play with us , but when I am working and kids at school she loves it

people dont see it like that they all think its to train them for fighting, all tho its just a toy for the dogs to play with
andynlucy789
andynlucy789

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sat Feb 04 2012, 11:20

MissRogue wrote:Sorry but its not my cup of tea i wouldn't want my dog to get into the habbit of tugawar, it can and has been proven to be an encouragment for bad behaviours. No dog should be in that state of mind, I do not care what anyone says, i'v seen all vids it is not "play" the body is rigid, tail is stiff even when wagging. the dogs in all the vids i have seen do not want to toss the toy up in the air or fetch it to its owner, it wants to tear it apart and loves the challenge that is not co-operating with it, it is fight, it is kill, and no dog should be encouraged to do either.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! ... you've just won the "overeaction of the month award" ... Laughing
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Diwrnach Sat Feb 04 2012, 12:17

Andy wrote:
MissRogue wrote:Sorry but its not my cup of tea i wouldn't want my dog to get into the habbit of tugawar, it can and has been proven to be an encouragment for bad behaviours. No dog should be in that state of mind, I do not care what anyone says, i'v seen all vids it is not "play" the body is rigid, tail is stiff even when wagging. the dogs in all the vids i have seen do not want to toss the toy up in the air or fetch it to its owner, it wants to tear it apart and loves the challenge that is not co-operating with it, it is fight, it is kill, and no dog should be encouraged to do either.

CONGRATULATIONS!!! ... you've just won the "overeaction of the month award" ... Laughing

Read this post last night, and this is more or less what I thought, massive over reation.

Dont see a problem myself as long as it is secured safely etc, its no different to playing tug is it?

Saw one video on a site, forget where it was and cant seem to find it, but the chap had I think 4 or 5 staffys, all hanging off the same one, they loved it, tails wagging etc.

The "stiff body" is likely more down to the fact they're hanging not because theyre getting ready to savage someone...

Diwrnach

Status Status :

Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Summerisle Sat Feb 04 2012, 14:16

Yup, a lot of over reactions in this thread.....
Summerisle
Summerisle

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Jimi
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by andynlucy789 Sat Feb 04 2012, 16:23

this exactly why we put it on..of course everyone is entitled to their opinion but i cant state enough this is NOT for training it is purley for fun i hate people who fight their dogs its a disgrace they want shooting we have 4 kide here for pittys sake so would defo not go to the extreme some of these people are going on about..i pitty their one track minds..{sorry if it upsets anyone but i like u am, entitled to my opinion} banghead
andynlucy789
andynlucy789

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 04 2012, 17:20

in my eyes as long as i can stop memphis doing something and take something off him and not showing aggression when he told its just fun but if i had any hint of growling at me that would be that activity stopped full stop
also if you read the first post you will see andynlucy states in the vid its set up wrong and pup should be on the ground.
they cant be shouted down as its not actually there vid it was just for reference

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down