Andy
Kathy
Nathan
krik1690
8 posters

Go down

cheap wet food?? Empty cheap wet food??

Post by krik1690 Sat Mar 03 2012, 10:16

Hi im feedin my pup on jwb, hes fussy when its dry and he doesnt like the jwb wet food. so I just bought a tin of supermakert food to mix to see if he likes it and he does. my problem is, is it ok to feed him a shitty wet food as long as hes on good dry??
krik1690
krik1690
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : conan
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

cheap wet food?? Empty Re: cheap wet food??

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03 2012, 10:23

I personally am not an expert on types of food but some people on here im sure will be along to help you do know more about the food.
When vinnie went off his food he would turn up his nose at practically most foods untill we give him Nature Diet he loves! nature diet its good too Smile.
Now he will eat most things again lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by Nathan Sat Mar 03 2012, 11:03

Have you tried warm water on the jwb dry food? the "shitty" food as you describe it lol is the K9 version of fast food, taste good, full of crap and of little nutritional value. as your still feeding jwb alongside your dog is getting the nutrition its needs. By feeding the supermarket food your adding all the crp addatives and preservatives to your dogs diet which is something to think about i guess.
Nathan
Nathan
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : Marley and Laska
Dog(s) Ages : 30/08/2011 Marley 03/05/12 Laska
Dog Gender(s) : Male Marley Female Laska
Support total : 626

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Mar 03 2012, 11:55

We feed Rocky on JWB and add a little bit of cooked chicken (with the skin and fat removed) to it.

We feed twice a day first at around 10am then at around 4pm. We give him 60g of dry food and 20g of the chicken but the amount will depend on the weight of the dog. The pack of JWB does give a guideline amount to feed so adjust this as neccessary.

Hope this helps.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sat Mar 03 2012, 12:53

Ok, if he will eat the JWB, there is a whole host of diff things you can add (in small quantities) to make him eat it, that will add even more goodness to his diet Wink .... but if he's a fussy one, then you must keep changing what you add to keep him eating the staple food (the JWB) and mix it in properly so it coats all the kibble

Try things like a raw egg, tinned tuna in oil (use the oil also but not too much at once), tinned stewing steak, tinned mackeral, tinned sardines etc etc all these things will wet the kibble, are cheap to buy, easy to keep in the fridge (i put an open tin in a sealable sandwich bag in the fridge Wink ) and above all are good for him Big Grin Wink

Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Sat Mar 03 2012, 13:44

As Andy said mix something tasty with the JWB

Sardines in tomatoe sauce is a nice tasty one, or a soon of natural yogurt, or doggie gravy even.

Or try drizzling some Salmon oil over the JWB. My Diesel had salmon oil everyday.

http://www.fish4dogs.com/Products/salmon-oil-500ml.aspx
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by krik1690 Sat Mar 03 2012, 15:22

Is it okay to change from fish oneday to an egg the next and chicken the day after?? Whil changing like this not upset his stomach?? And how often can u feed him sardines wothout causing iritation?? Hes still only 5months. Thanxs
krik1690
krik1690

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by maria0077 Sat Mar 03 2012, 15:49

Hi,
some people might disagree but Stella eats raw in the morning (around 8am) and wet dog food in the evening (around 6pm) and it does not cause her any problems. True is that she prefers the raw meat much more so she is sometimes fussy so she gets raw dinners every now and then as well Wink
I change the brand of wet food - either Puppy Wainwright's or Nature's Diet or Nature's Harvest (she used to get ZiwiPeak as well but it is unfortunately really too expensive) and sometimes add a wee bit of dry to the wet food (Orijen) and she is fine.
I only never mix raw meat and processed dog food, because it is digested differently (processed wood is digested much longer - I have it from here Tongues )
She sometimes has upset tummy but it is only when she eats something awful outside, she's such a scavenger and sometimes I am not quick enough... Surprised
So I'd say when the main food is the same then the added things should be fine.
I do not give Stella tinned fish or tinned meat for human consumption, though, I think the salt there and stuff might not be good, she loves and gets raw salmon, though Tongues
And I add an egg or only yolk and salmon oil to her food quite often and it has never caused her any problems.
So maybe I'm just lucky having a dog with flexible stomach?
Xx
maria0077
maria0077
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
cheap wet food?? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Stella & Kai
Dog(s) Ages : Born May 2011 & Oct 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 26

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03 2012, 16:35

krik1690 wrote:Is it okay to change from fish oneday to an egg the next and chicken the day after?? Whil changing like this not upset his stomach?? And how often can u feed him sardines wothout causing iritation?? Hes still only 5months. Thanxs

That shouldn't cause any problems because there won't be all that much added to the dry food.

I won't use tinned food at all. It's 70% water (even the good ones) and I can get that from the tap a lot cheaper!

Back to top Go down

Post by krik1690 Sat Mar 03 2012, 17:03

Thanks il mayb one day do sardines, next day chicken, next day egg. And then back to sardines again. Is that the best way?? Therl def be no probs with that??
krik1690
krik1690

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 03 2012, 17:18

my sergestion on the wet food would either be a little bit weebox Surprised or a bit of chappie which is bland and wont cause tummy upset

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sat Mar 03 2012, 17:22

krik1690 wrote:Thanks il mayb one day do sardines, next day chicken, next day egg. And then back to sardines again. Is that the best way?? Therl def be no probs with that??

No it'll be fine, just dont over do it, remember the additional stuff, tho hi in protein etc, is mainly to keep him eating the JWB which is a balanced meal, so if it's an egg, then just one, and mixed in well, if its sardine, just one, really broken up and mixed in or he'll pick it out Laughing and so on (I personnally wouldnt give him sardines in tomato sauce ... just oil)

You dont wanna get to the stage where you are putting too much of the additional stuff in, or he will go off the kibble in favour of it ... now and then, or if he's a bit under the weather or summut, try him on rice instead of the JWB, with a little more of the say stewing steak (they love that), but always go back to the JWB ....... remember, if he's hungry, he WILL eat Wink
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by krik1690 Sat Mar 03 2012, 17:30

Is the salmon oil better than all this?? Sardines twice a week and salmon oil the rest??
krik1690
krik1690

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sat Mar 03 2012, 17:35

I've never used salmon oil, just a little of what ever fish he's having come's in ..... dont over do the oil !! a little goes a long way, and I wouldnt give oil everyday, its not necessary, and will prob just pass through him sick
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by kellenny Sat Mar 03 2012, 22:27

we feed Sandi Wainwrights dry mixed with some of their wet food and she loves it. It's as good quality as JWB but cheaper. I did loads of research when choosing food, and this one seems to get very good feedback, and I must admit, Sandi does well on it and her coat is shiny. We changed to JWB for a while as a big bag was on offer, but she went hyper on it! Anyway....Wainwrights wet trays are £8.65 (i think?!) for 12 trays, and we mix just a quarter of a tray with some dry food twice a day, so it works out quite cheap for good quality food. worth a try! Has anyone else on here tried wainwrights?
kellenny
kellenny
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sandi
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Tue Mar 06 2012, 14:23

Wainwrights is a great wet food. I don't feed wet though because it's bad for the teeth.
I used to mix a bit of weebox chub roll in with his JWB when he was a fussier pup, not much just a small 'slice', that is what the chub rolls are for. I wouldn't say its a great food to give though Laughing
You could try adding hot water or goats milk to the food to make it moist. Or dog gravy-I used to use that as well.
To be honest though I got fed up of giving in to his fussier and fussier demands, I started giving him JWB dry and if he didn't eat it-tough he could starve.
Needless to say he hasn't starved! Wink

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down