very annoying!

+2
janey
Tito
6 posters

Go down

very annoying! Empty very annoying!

Post by Tito Mon Feb 27 2012, 15:26

My puppy, tito is crying and crying and crying.. Its because he gets locked up in his cage for some hours, sometimes when I want to read newspapers or using my mac. Its quite annoying, I need some advice of what I can do? He cant just feel free to go anywhere in the house, Sometimes yes but not the whole day? I mean, he can sit in his cage for 2-3 hours? I put him inside his cage for some hours to get used to it when some guests come home to me, and not everybody like a happy monster energy jumping on them, you know what I mean! Laughing Its getting very annoying for me and my husband. What can we do? Please help..

Last edited by Tito on Mon Feb 27 2012, 15:50; edited 5 times in total

Tito
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tito
Dog(s) Ages : 5 months
Support total : 2

Back to top Go down

very annoying! Empty Re: very annoying!

Post by Guest Mon Feb 27 2012, 15:28

Locked up in the cage for days and nights at a time ? Did I just read that right ???

Back to top Go down

Post by Tito Mon Feb 27 2012, 15:29

Maria. wrote:Locked up in the cage for days and nights at a time ? Did I just read that right ???

noo noo I didnt mean like that! Please dont do misunderstand, my english is very bad! I mean some hours, like 1-2 hours! Sorry

Tito

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Feb 27 2012, 15:52

I haven't ever crate trained but if your at home reading the papers then surely Tito can be puppying around, I understand about the visitors but the best thing is to try and train him how to behave when you have them Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Feb 27 2012, 19:34

It sounds like you are using the crate as punishment. This is not the idea of them.

The puppys crate should be a place he can feel safe and use it as a den or somewhere to go and just be quiet.

He will need time to play and have fun with you this is what puppys do. Staffys are a breed that thrive on human contact and need that time with you to develop and build their personality and character.

Please take notice of puppy as he is trying to communicate with you and maybe feels like he is being ignored.

Hope this helps.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Tito Mon Feb 27 2012, 22:01

kathytake2 wrote:It sounds like you are using the crate as punishment. This is not the idea of them.

The puppys crate should be a place he can feel safe and use it as a den or somewhere to go and just be quiet.

He will need time to play and have fun with you this is what puppys do. Staffys are a breed that thrive on human contact and need that time with you to develop and build their personality and character.

Please take notice of puppy as he is trying to communicate with you and maybe feels like he is being ignored.

Hope this helps.

But does a puppy need my attention 24/7? Isnt that to much? I mean, we get outside and do our training, we play the whole day, I use mind training, he went to puppyschool to Smile He is a well behaved puppy, the reason I use cage is because I dont want my furniture to be destroyed, and when he will grow bigger he will scratch everything right, (when am not home) and when I go to work for 5-6 hours he needs to stay inside the cage he needs to get used to the cage that its his "place". I tried to give him something nice and he kinda liked it for a while and after he finished eathing it he went crazy and wanted to go out.. lol. But again, he is a well behaved puppy, he is 5 months old and yet he didnt destroy anything yet. So far so good Smile I only asked of what I can do so he can like his cage more:)

Tito

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by john and sonia Mon Feb 27 2012, 22:09

Your way of doing things is your way of bringing up your dog but isnt always other peoples way. we do give our puppy 24/7 care between us. Please dont get me wrong i dont mean to offend at all but a puppy is like a child and does need constant care and love doesnt it.
john and sonia
john and sonia
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
very annoying! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Leia
Dog(s) Ages : 12 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 27 2012, 22:15

hmm, I think, just my opinion, if you are home, and sitting around reading the paper or on the computer, your pup should be allowed out with you, crating should only be done for bed time or when you are out of the house.
saying that, I think 5-6 hours is too long to be locked in a cage while you're at work. then also I have never really understood the whole crating thing I rather let my dog run around and explore while I'm out (might be different in terms of safety here in Australia to where you are though)

Back to top Go down

Post by lmjc90 Mon Feb 27 2012, 22:20

the only time i put scarlet in her crate is when she has about an 1 hours quiet time when she needs to calm down rest of the day she is out and at night shes in our bed Smile
lmjc90
lmjc90
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Scarlett
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 20

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001801581232  More and

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 27 2012, 22:23

5-6 hours at a time in a crate is too long, I'm afraid. He is a puppy, and puppies need to interract with people. He is getting bored and upset.

If you don't want to be disturbed by a pup when you are reading, why did you get a pup? I'm afraid they need a lot of attention, and shutting them away just because he's getting on your nerves is cruel. That isn't the way a crate should be used. You say he has to get used to the crate as 'his place', but he's looking at it as a punishment, a restrictive cage. It isn't a safe, comfortable place for him, it's a prison.

Back to top Go down

Post by linzy Mon Feb 27 2012, 22:56

Violet is a wee bit older than Tito, but she's still very attention seeking when I'm trying to do my uni work, and she'll go mad trying to sabotage my laptop if I'm working on it. She'll sit whining if she's being ignored, and I don't really want to put her in her crate all day every day so that I can get things done. The best I've come up with so far, is to get her up early, and try to tire her out - sometimes we go to the park and other times we just run around the block. Then when we get back, she falls asleep and I get a bit of peace!
linzy
linzy

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Violet
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28 2012, 07:31

Tilly has not been in a crate since about 4 months old, we only ever used it for night time and when the missus was inundated with kids (childminder) just so she knew none of the kids could try and pull her tail off or anything. She has the run of the house and as long as I'm there she is quite content to just sit by me , only concession I have to make sometimes is to take off my socks so she can lick my toes Laughing She has just got used to peace around the house , with mad spurts thrown in when the visitors come and walk times etc, it works well for us

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 28 2012, 12:16

Crates can be very useful if used as a safe haven or a good place for your pup. From 5 months old they do tend to go through a phase where they want constant attention. This is best resolved with two to three fairly long energetic walks and plenty of constructive play. A tired Staffie is a quiet Staffie. Ifr you have no choice but to leave your dog crated while at work, a good walk before you leave helps. Also leaving him with a cong filled with his kibble and sealed with peanut butter will keep him a little busy. You can also look on line for puzzle feeders.

This is just my opinion.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tito Tue Feb 28 2012, 12:38

Caryll wrote:5-6 hours at a time in a crate is too long, I'm afraid. He is a puppy, and puppies need to interract with people. He is getting bored and upset.

If you don't want to be disturbed by a pup when you are reading, why did you get a pup? I'm afraid they need a lot of attention, and shutting them away just because he's getting on your nerves is cruel. That isn't the way a crate should be used. You say he has to get used to the crate as 'his place', but he's looking at it as a punishment, a restrictive cage. It isn't a safe, comfortable place for him, it's a prison.

actually, its not that much. I know some people who leave their dogs 8 hours. But anyway we did cut it off now. We no longer use it, only when we are not at home. Hes not happy inside the cage so now he sleeps in our bed and we all go to sleep and having sweet dreams without any sounds Smile

Tito

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Tito Tue Feb 28 2012, 12:45

linzy wrote:Violet is a wee bit older than Tito, but she's still very attention seeking when I'm trying to do my uni work, and she'll go mad trying to sabotage my laptop if I'm working on it. She'll sit whining if she's being ignored, and I don't really want to put her in her crate all day every day so that I can get things done. The best I've come up with so far, is to get her up early, and try to tire her out - sometimes we go to the park and other times we just run around the block. Then when we get back, she falls asleep and I get a bit of peace!
thank you very much, we no longer use the cage, hes not happy inside it. now we all go to sleep in our bed Smile

Tito

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content