5 posters

Go down

WARNING virus kills pets Empty WARNING virus kills pets

Post by Guest Mon Feb 27 2012, 10:07

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-17156619

Back to top Go down

WARNING virus kills pets Empty Re: WARNING virus kills pets

Post by Guest Mon Feb 27 2012, 10:12

yes there been a problem with parvo the last couple of years its making a real comeback but just another example of throw away pets people not bothering to keep up with there jabs if even bothering to give first round

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 27 2012, 10:20

Thanks for that Julie.

Dempsey's vaccinations are done every 3 years, but I might ask about topping up the parvo one when I'm in the vets for his wormers next week.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 27 2012, 10:20

we just had lemmy up for his annual booster and health check. it doesnt break the bank so why dont they get their pets done its cheaper and better for the animal in the long run than loads of vets bills and then possibly a dead dog at the end of it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 27 2012, 10:22

The thing is, I won't vaccinate without a need! That's why I do every three years after the first year's booster.

If there's parvo around, though, I'll get that one done.

Back to top Go down

Post by john and sonia Mon Feb 27 2012, 12:40

My dog sam had Parvo when he was a puppy and its not always about people being irresponsible whith there dogs under some circumstances. I got him at 8 weeks and booked him straight in for his jabs. At 9 weeks the parvo hit and i was very careful he never went out and the vet said he must have just caught it before i got him (not thinking at the time i got him from a pet shop i know i was stupid but it was 18 years ago wouldnt dream of it now). The first signs were vomiting followed by diarhoea that gets more and more violent by the hour. I rushed him to the vets and he was admitted to hospital and was there for just over 2 weeks on a drip with constant care and medication. It was touch and go a couple of times as there was literally nothing left of him he was skin & Bone but the hospital did an amazing job in pulling him through and i used to drive 80 miles everyday to spend ten minutes with him i was heartbroken. I was told he wouldnt live much more than 7 or 8 because of this. Sam has only just passed away at the age of 18 he was always stubborn lol Smile
john and sonia
john and sonia
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
WARNING virus kills pets Top_ra10

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Leia
Dog(s) Ages : 12 weeks
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Feb 27 2012, 12:45

john and sonia wrote:My dog sam had Parvo when he was a puppy and its not always about people being irresponsible whith there dogs under some circumstances. I got him at 8 weeks and booked him straight in for his jabs. At 9 weeks the parvo hit and i was very careful he never went out and the vet said he must have just caught it before i got him (not thinking at the time i got him from a pet shop i know i was stupid but it was 18 years ago wouldnt dream of it now). The first signs were vomiting followed by diarhoea that gets more and more violent by the hour. I rushed him to the vets and he was admitted to hospital and was there for just over 2 weeks on a drip with constant care and medication. It was touch and go a couple of times as there was literally nothing left of him he was skin & Bone but the hospital did an amazing job in pulling him through and i used to drive 80 miles everyday to spend ten minutes with him i was heartbroken. I was told he wouldnt live much more than 7 or 8 because of this. Sam has only just passed away at the age of 18 he was always stubborn lol Smile

poor baby glad all turned out ok.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Feb 27 2012, 17:09

Thanks for that.

Rocky had his boosters just before Christmas along with the checkup.
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by steve76 Mon Feb 27 2012, 18:58

that's only 30 or so miles from where we live.marley is up to date with his jabs. we had a really bad outbreak here a couple of years ago which killed 24 dogs, some of which had been vaccinated
steve76
steve76

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 239

Back to top Go down

Post by roz w Thu Mar 01 2012, 21:09

if u read the small print on your pet insurance u will find that if u dont vaccinate your dog and your dog then gets a disease or illness that would be preventable from the vaccination then they are not covered ..(mine is tesco insurance for reference) so do check
roz w
roz w
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
WARNING virus kills pets Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Trouble
Dog(s) Ages : 4 yrs
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 60

Back to top Go down

Post by eskidavies Sun Mar 04 2012, 15:11

are the normal yearly vaccinations which sox is up to date with'suffice for parvo ,or as it is around do they need a special anti parvo jab.as 2 dogs have died across another valley by me about 10 miles away

E.T.A. its actually 9 dogs i just found out after talking to inlaws,i wont be leaving my shoes around after hearing about this,aparently if you step in something it can be carried around that way

Last edited by eskidavies on Sun Mar 04 2012, 15:32; edited 1 time in total
eskidavies
eskidavies
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : sox
Dog Gender(s) : bitch
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 04 2012, 15:25

roz w wrote:if u read the small print on your pet insurance u will find that if u dont vaccinate your dog and your dog then gets a disease or illness that would be preventable from the vaccination then they are not covered ..(mine is tesco insurance for reference) so do check

Most policies, if you read the small print, will tell you that you should vaccinate according to your vet's advice. My vet accepts the general view that we overvaccinate dogs nowadays as the vaccines all have an effective life of at least 3 years. However, my vet told me that he keeps an eye open for viral 'surges' in the area and will advise single vaccinations if he feels it is necessary. That's good enough for my insurance policy.

I've checked with my vet over the parvo outbreak, and he assures me that there isn't a problem in this area. If the outbreaks get any closer he will write to his clients advising a parvo booster.

eskidavies wrote:are the normal yearly vaccinations which sox is up to date with'suffice for parvo ,or as it is around do they need a special anti parvo jab.as 2 dogs have died across another valley by me about 10 miles away

If your dog has received the parvo kab with his boosters then he won't need another one. Bear in mind though, that the parvovirus is a virus & as such it will mutate. So although your dog has been vaccinated it may still get parvo. However, it will be very much milder with the vaccination than without!

Back to top Go down

Post by eskidavies Sun Mar 04 2012, 15:34

cheers for that,just have to be carefull around dog s##t
eskidavies
eskidavies

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 04 2012, 15:42

eskidavies wrote:cheers for that,just have to be carefull around dog s##t

It isn't just dog sh1t. Yes, the virus is passed on through faeces, but it's also passed on by direct contact with an affected animal. So it's always best to vaccinate according to veterinary advice for your area.

Just remember though that vets (some, not all) will advise annual boosters for everything even though they are not needed more than 3 yearly - they want the £30 or £40 fee involved!

Back to top Go down

Post by eskidavies Sun Mar 04 2012, 16:01

beat give my mate a ring then he a vet nurse at vets local to me,not the one i use but he knows his stuff been there since we left school.
eskidavies
eskidavies

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Mar 04 2012, 16:03

eskidavies wrote:beat give my mate a ring then he a vet nurse at vets local to me,not the one i use but he knows his stuff been there since we left school.

Sorry, I don't know what you're getting at. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down