Nightmare at OUR dinner time

+2
janey
kathie450
6 posters

Go down

Nightmare at OUR dinner time Empty Nightmare at OUR dinner time

Post by kathie450 Tue Feb 21 2012, 19:16

Elwood is a nightmare when it comes to our dinner time. He jumps up at the table going from me to my OH. We push him down and firmly say no, but he`s just not getting the hint! I`ve also put him in the hallway after I have told him NO a few times, but then he howls, barks and has taken to biting the doors. I have also fed him the same time as us but no joy. Any ideas? x
kathie450
kathie450
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Elwood
Dog(s) Ages : 3/3/11
Dog Gender(s) : naughty boy
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Nightmare at OUR dinner time Empty Re: Nightmare at OUR dinner time

Post by Guest Tue Feb 21 2012, 19:18

Having the same issue myself. It's been doing on for quite some time, I would have thought each time Monty jumps up at either of us, he would have known he will get the firm NO .. but he still insists on jumping up for a scrounge.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 21 2012, 19:22

Blue used to sit 3mm away from my youngest daughter staring at her. I make him go and lie down in the living room until we have finished. At first it was a pain as my tea would always end up cold, but with most things when dogs are concerned repeat it again and again and stay firm eventually they will work out thats its just easier for them to go and lie down and leave you all in peace to eat.
Good luck

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Tue Feb 21 2012, 19:39

Agree with Blue, every time he comes into the dining area remove him and put him in his bed, if you haven't a bed available put a mat down and pop him on that. If he moves a loud 'ah ah', if he doesn't return then lead him back.

Repeat this for as long as it takes and he will catch on. As Blue said, many a cold dinner but you'll be suprised how quick they learn with repetative training. Good luck Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Tue Feb 21 2012, 21:01

Bailey goes in his crate at dinner time! Now when he hears the timer on the cooker he goes straight into his bed Laughing even if he's sleeping he'll wake up and go to his crate!
StuW
StuW

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 21 2012, 21:16

my kenny got his own chair, then when dinner over he enjoys a nice cigar while wearing his best smoking jacket Laughing
Sorry, couldnt help myself. I got the same problem Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Feb 21 2012, 21:28

I do the same as Mike & Janey. Dempsey has to lie down while we're eating.

It took a few cold dinners but he got there in the end!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22 2012, 01:19

Agree with all and we went through the same with Suki. She still makes an attempt every night but only once.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22 2012, 01:24

janey wrote:

Agree with Blue, every time he comes into the dining area remove him and put him in his bed, if you haven't a bed available put a mat down and pop him on that. If he moves a loud 'ah ah', if he doesn't return then lead him back.

Repeat this for as long as it takes and he will catch on. As Blue said, many a cold dinner but you'll be suprised how quick they learn with repetative training. Good luck Xx

ditto i was going to go on to salads it was taken so long lol but you get there in the end

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22 2012, 05:48

I'm feeling very blessed right now (not saying your dogs are no good) but Russell has never bothered us at dinner time. we used to put him outside and still do sometimes, but when he is inside he might sit and watch us eat for a bit and then he gets bored and goes to bed!
just got lucky with that behaviour I guess.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Wed Feb 22 2012, 05:49

kenny d wrote:my kenny got his own chair, then when dinner over he enjoys a nice cigar while wearing his best smoking jacket Laughing
Sorry, couldnt help myself. I got the same problem Smile

rolling on the floor

We must be fortunate. Ours lay down under the table while we eat. It they pester they get sent out. Most times they get bored and leave on their own unless I am naught and slip them a bite. Big Grin
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22 2012, 08:21

we make billy lie in his bed but he stares at us all waiting for leftovers

Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by NatureClip Wed Feb 22 2012, 11:55

Hey!

We do like Lynne, they lie on a mat during mealtimes. I don't have a quick fix, but I can tell you what we do with our dogs and when we foster. Our set up is: Me and Emy either eat at a table in the living room at one end of the room or on the sofa, and the dog's have a 'mat' by the radiator at the other end (there is a few metres between the table and mat).

The dogs are not allowed on the sofa unless they are invited (which happens a lot). They have a mat which they lie on to relax. We often say "go to your mat" in a positive way (it is never used as a punishment as they need to feel happy there) so they don't become dependant on sofa cuddles.

When we first get a foster dog, we encourage them onto the mat and fuss them there and not as much in other places. They then associate this as a safe place where they feel good. When we sit down to eat, we tell the dog to 'go to your mat' in a light voice ,tell them to 'stay' and then we sit down to eat. At first, they always come off the mat and walk towards the table. I say 'ah!', get up and say 'mat' and take them back to it. I never fuss them or give any attention, just keep taking them back and then sitting down again.

This is frustrating but bear with it, it usually takes a few meals. When I have finished eating, I say "good girl/boy, go free" and I fuss them and give them lots of praise. I don't give them any scraps near the table. I take the plates to the kitchen and then put them in their bowl. Make them sit and do the same as any other mealtime.

Within a week, they stop leaving the mat during meal times altogether.

Hope this helps

Dan

http://www.twitter.com/natureclip
https://www.youtube.com/natureclip

NatureClip
NatureClip

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sky
Dog(s) Ages : 3ish
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 26

https://www.youtube.com/natureclip

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22 2012, 12:18

NatureClip wrote:When we first get a foster dog, we encourage them onto the mat and fuss them there and not as much in other places. They then associate this as a safe place where they feel good. When we sit down to eat, we tell the dog to 'go to your mat' in a light voice ,tell them to 'stay' and then we sit down to eat. At first, they always come off the mat and walk towards the table. I say 'ah!', get up and say 'mat' and take them back to it. I never fuss them or give any attention, just keep taking them back and then sitting down again.

This is frustrating but bear with it, it usually takes a few meals. When I have finished eating, I say "good girl/boy, go free" and I fuss them and give them lots of praise. I don't give them any scraps near the table. I take the plates to the kitchen and then put them in their bowl. Make them sit and do the same as any other mealtime.

Within a week, they stop leaving the mat during meal times altogether.

Hope this helps

Great advice! I do similar (but without the mat!) but I don't give my dogs table scraps.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22 2012, 12:23

bigwazza wrote:
janey wrote:

ditto i was going to go on to salads it was taken so long lol but you get there in the end

Yup we have done the same, its seems like forever ago now lol. I dont think i ate a hot meal for 2 or 3 weeks and it was constant up and down from the table but now they dont even batter an eye lid when we sit down to the table they just carry on with whatever they were doing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 22 2012, 14:02

Tyson also has to lay down when we are eating. He was taught from really small to respect my space when food is around. I also never give him food or titbits from my plate.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skullkandi Wed Feb 22 2012, 18:21

kathie450 wrote:Elwood is a nightmare when it comes to our dinner time. He jumps up at the table going from me to my OH. We push him down and firmly say no, but he`s just not getting the hint! I`ve also put him in the hallway after I have told him NO a few times, but then he howls, barks and has taken to biting the doors. I have also fed him the same time as us but no joy. Any ideas? x

Crate train him and lock him up whilst eating Big Grin
Skullkandi
Skullkandi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Nightmare at OUR dinner time Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by kathie450 Wed Feb 22 2012, 18:36

Crate train him and lock him up whilst eating Big Grin[/quote]

Ha I have thought about just the locking him up part!! Laughing
kathie450
kathie450

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Elwood
Dog(s) Ages : 3/3/11
Dog Gender(s) : naughty boy
Support total : 9

Back to top Go down

Post by Skullkandi Wed Feb 22 2012, 18:37

kathie450 wrote:Crate train him and lock him up whilst eating Big Grin

Ha I have thought about just the locking him up part!! Laughing [/quote]

Bless! Nah, it's best to train them to get used to being locked away or in a different room.
Remember to be the Alpha and ALWAYS eat first.
Skullkandi
Skullkandi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Nightmare at OUR dinner time Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down