Introuducing an old lady staffie to an old lady Labrador/Collie

+3
Kathy
Steve
Alice and Maisie
7 posters

Go down

Introuducing an old lady staffie to an old lady Labrador/Collie Empty Introuducing an old lady staffie to an old lady Labrador/Collie

Post by Alice and Maisie Wed Feb 08 2012, 17:47

Hello All,

I really hope you can offer me some advice. 10 days ago I took on a 10-13 year old Staffie called Maisie from Battersea Dogs Home. As far as I know she has only had one owner throughout her life. I live in London but I visit my parents in the country for a week/month. They have a wonderful, friendly, sweet loving Labrador/ Collie called Georgie. She had been my best canine friend for the past 12 years and I feel a bit guilty that I now have my own old lady to look after.

I told Battersea Dogs home that I would be taking her on regular visits to the country and that we have an older dog at home and that it was of the utmost importance that I re-homed a dog that could tolerate other dogs. I told them I would be devastated if she was aggressive towards to Georgie. They said that Maisie would be fine. I just have to first introduce them away from home, on neutral ground which is totally possible. All this sounded pretty easy and I went home with lovely Maisie.

Our first week together was lovely although she was feeling a bit under the weather with kennel cough and not eating. She is so so affectionate. She was still very frisky on her walks; continuously running after her tennis balls every day. A quick trip back to the vets at Battersea soon sorted that out and she has been on tablets for a week and is feeling a lot better. Last week, she did not seem too bothered by other dogs. Yes, grumbles and perhaps a bark here and there but nothing major. She even let them come and sniff her for a little while. I expected at her age that she would not really like to be bothered too much by other dogs, especially young pups and big bounding dogs.

However, yesterday, when we came across a very sweet golden retriever puppy who gently came up to say hello, Maisie bit him. I apologised to the owner and explained that Maisie and I were just getting to know each other. Then, last night, my housemate Emily took her for a walk in the dark/dusk and Maisie got into a fight with two dogs who came running towards her in the park. I wouldn't like it if 2 strangers came running at me in the dark in the park but still, she was vicious. Emily immediately picked Maisie up by the scruff of her neck and got her out of the situation. Emily said that she was worries as even though the dogs surrendered, Maisie would not let it go. Tonight, walking in the dark. She immediately growled and barked at a dog coming towards us on it's lead with it's owner.

Whilst I realise that we are only a week in, I am worried about Maisie's behaviour with other dogs and how she is going to react getting to know Georgie next week when I take her home.

Maisie is an old lady who is set in her ways. From observing her this week she has obviously not spent time with/grown up with other dogs which is not something I was told when I went to BDH. I have tried to speak to them today but had no luck. Would be good to know a bit more of Maisie's background. I also know that Staffies do not care for other dogs unless they are used to them but she is so sweet natured in every other way that it was not nice to see. I know you can't really teach an old dog new tricks but am wondering if anyone has any advice out there.

This weekend, Emily and I are taking her to meet a middle aged Dalmatian, who was also a rescue dog, to see how she behaves with her.

I absolutely have to go back to the parents house next week and Georgie and Maisie have to meet. Georgie is super friendly to everyone and everything. Maisie only to humans. I won't bear it if she picks a fight with Georgie and am wondering if anyone has any tips to try and make at least this first meeting go smoothly.

Am I mad to think that these two will ever get on and be able to live together under the same roof once a month. I guess I don't know until I try?!

Thank you xxx

Last edited by Alice and Maisie on Wed Feb 08 2012, 18:33; edited 2 times in total

Alice and Maisie
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Maisie
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Introuducing an old lady staffie to an old lady Labrador/Collie Empty Re: Introuducing an old lady staffie to an old lady Labrador/Collie

Post by Steve Wed Feb 08 2012, 17:52

take both of them for and walk and keep the on the lead Smile if you see any bad behaviour put a stop to it straight away Smile

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Introuducing an old lady staffie to an old lady Labrador/Collie Empty Thanks Steve

Post by Alice and Maisie Wed Feb 08 2012, 18:08

What do you reckon I should do if it keeps happening? Just keep putting a stop to it? Can a Staffie of her age learn?

Would love to put a photo up of her. Do you know I do that?

Alice and Maisie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Introuducing an old lady staffie to an old lady Labrador/Collie Empty Re: Introuducing an old lady staffie to an old lady Labrador/Collie

Post by Kathy Wed Feb 08 2012, 18:16

Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Feb 08 2012, 18:44

hello wave hope ya get this sorted out so Maisie can adjust

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Wed Feb 08 2012, 18:51

Alice and Maisie wrote:What do you reckon I should do if it keeps happening? Just keep putting a stop to it? Can a Staffie of her age learn?

all you can do is tell her no and make her sit.. at 12 she should be calming and slowing down

Steve

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Pado Wed Feb 08 2012, 20:58

Last edited by Pado on Sat Mar 03 2012, 03:19; edited 1 time in total

Pado
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Introuducing an old lady staffie to an old lady Labrador/Collie Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dog Gender(s) :
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by Alice and Maisie Thu Feb 09 2012, 11:02

Thank you all. I wonder if other breeds of dogs have such a friendly forum of owners! Will let you know how I get on after the weekend. Took her out for a walk this morning and she met some dogs and she let them sniff her a little. She had her ball in her face and was ok. There was one grumble with a particularly large dog but no viciousness. Am wondering whether her eyesight might have something to do with things as she growled at an oncoming black dog in the dark last night and that must be pretty scary for her.

Spoke to BDH this morning and they told me that she had actually been brought in with her twin brother so no wonder she feels scrap. She has been separated! It's good to know that she has been living with another dog.

Speak soon

Smile

Alice and Maisie

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by shakespearesdog Thu Feb 09 2012, 14:18

she growled at an oncoming black dog in the dark last night and that must be pretty scary for her.

Black dogs in general worry other dogs as they can't read their facial expressions as well as light coloured dogs. Same with people actually which is why dogs bred to catch people such as bullmastiffs are bred either dark coloured or with a black mask on the face.
Sounds like shes getting grumpy as she gets older. Shes still new to everything and living with you so may be a little on edge. I suggest you only let her meet well behaved dogs on a lead until you are more certain of her character.
Don't let any strange dogs charge up to her-lots of dogs hate that.

shakespearesdog
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Dog(s) Ages :
Support total : 55

Back to top Go down

Post by standupforstaffies123 Thu Feb 09 2012, 17:45

Walk them a bit of a distance apart and reward good behaviour by giving treats to Maisie (a well-like treat) or if she isn't a treat-type dog, offer lots of praise. Then gradually walk them closer and closer still rewarding good behaviour. Make sure they are both on the lead and if Maisie starts showing any negative behaviour just move away a bit and then bring them together more slowly!

Let me know how you get on! Hope I helped! Wink
standupforstaffies123
standupforstaffies123
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Millie and Casey
Dog Gender(s) : Both girls
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Pado Thu Feb 09 2012, 18:07

Last edited by Pado on Sat Mar 03 2012, 03:09; edited 1 time in total

Pado
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Introuducing an old lady staffie to an old lady Labrador/Collie Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dog Gender(s) :
Support total : 19

Back to top Go down

Post by standupforstaffies123 Fri Feb 10 2012, 22:26

Good idea Pado, it mustnt be very nice having strange dogs with you when you cant see them very well Sad
standupforstaffies123
standupforstaffies123

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Millie and Casey
Dog Gender(s) : Both girls
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Fri Feb 10 2012, 23:49

Hope it all goes well for you.

I rescued Ledger last July and a big part of it was how he would get on with my parents 13yr old collie/springer cross 'Lucky'. He is alot younger but we took Lucky to the rescue centre to meet him first which went well then the first time I took him to my parents house I parked up walked him up the road then dad came out with Lucky and we walked beck together. There have been a few points of both dogs challenging status usually with Lucky nipping Ledger and him pinning her on her back but thats as far as it went and it has calmed down with them both now copying each others behaviour to an extent

When it comes to the dark its only natural that if one of your senses if restricted then the others will become more heightened and you will that little bit more on edge saying that though Ledger also very much sorted out which dogs are calm and controlled by their owners and through his early reaction I have picked up on the ones that are really not under control and he will tell the dog to stay away.
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down