I think I'm getting another dog tomorrow!!!!

+3
gem
janey
Scubasteve
7 posters

Go down

I think I'm getting another dog tomorrow!!!! Empty I think I'm getting another dog tomorrow!!!!

Post by Guest Sun Jan 08 2012, 19:58

Ok so this is all very spur of the moment, I've been told about a german shepherd/rotti 10 week old pup that was homed to someone who went to London for a weekend a week after getting the pup, they left him with a bunch of smackheads, no electricity or food. A friend who lived nearby rang the breeder and told her so she marched straight off to get the pup and is now looking for a new, forever home for him. I don't know why, but the story really pulled at my heartstrings so I gave her a call about him and she is bringing him here tomorrow afternoon to see how he gets on with Charlie. If all goes well, he's mine!!

So excited!! A little nervous about the mix, but have looked online and looked at things that have been written by people who own gsd/rotti's and everything looks and sounds as if they're fantastic dogs, smart, loving and obedient. I can't wait until tomorrow!!

Back to top Go down

I think I'm getting another dog tomorrow!!!! Empty Re: I think I'm getting another dog tomorrow!!!!

Post by Scubasteve Sun Jan 08 2012, 20:23

Oooh exciting. I suppose it's the same as a staff though, all in the way a dog is brought up. And you will benefit from him being so young. Sounds like she is one good breeder too if she went and got him back, so many would have just left them to it and not cared. So you will have her help should you need it for advise etc.

Good luck with it, let us know how it goes and if you do take him, don't forget lots of piccies for us!
Scubasteve
Scubasteve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tinkerbell
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

I think I'm getting another dog tomorrow!!!! Empty Re: I think I'm getting another dog tomorrow!!!!

Post by janey Sun Jan 08 2012, 20:31

Seriously not being down on it, but is Charlie gonna be ok? and have you the time?

It's a massive step to take in another dog. Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 08 2012, 20:35

You guys will be the first to know!

That's what I figured really, I really didn't trust staffs at one point and have since found out that they are the most loving dogs ever as long as they're raised right so I'm sure it'll be the same with this one.

Will update you all tomorrow afternoon Smile

Janey, Charlie will LOVE it. He absolutely adores other dogs when he's out and he LOVES my friend's 15 week old staffy pup. I have to walk Charlie and train Charlie and feed him and play with him so I'll do it with the puppy at the same time. I spoke about it with my husband, and we think it'll be fine, and I'm certain that Charlie will really love having another dog around. I understand where you're coming from though, it's alot to take on, but it's a young pup, so I can raise him to be the dog I want like I did with Charlie, rather than taking on an older one who might come with more than I can handle at the moment. I just felt bad for him when the breeder said that he's just been left like that. He deserves a good home and that's what he'll get here.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Jan 08 2012, 20:48

Have they met? And I no you say its a pup but Moo is very territorial. She won't let another dog in.

Before you comite can you see how they get on?
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 08 2012, 20:54

That'a what's happening tomorrow. The breeder is bringing him to me so she can check this place out and we can introduce the dogs. I know it's spur of the moment, but I'm not gonna be silly about it. We spoke on the phone earlier and she is very concerned about who gets him because of what happened to him before so she wants to meet me, see where he'll be living if we take him, I want to find out more about the mum and dad and the main thing is seeing how well he gets on with Charlie. She has a staff and mum and dad are her pets and she has children and 2 cats too so he's used to everythin that's going on here, so it's all down to Charlie really. If he doesn't take to him, then I won't be taking him. I am going to be sensible about it Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 08 2012, 21:02

Good luck with it Shon hope all goes well

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 08 2012, 21:09

Thanks Marty. Will be on here tomorrow with an update and pics and vids if I take him Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Jan 08 2012, 21:30

Massive good luck hun, will be thinking of you Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 08 2012, 21:35

Thanks Janey Smile xx

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Jan 08 2012, 21:44

Hope all goes well and a happy ending for the puppy hopefully Big Grin
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 08 2012, 22:10

Good luck and will wait for the pics Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by flame Sun Jan 08 2012, 22:15

how exciting, i hope it all goes well for you, i will have my fingers crossed Love Struck
flame
flame
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
I think I'm getting another dog tomorrow!!!! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : River
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Irene Sun Jan 08 2012, 22:18

Good luck, I hope it works out x

Irene

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Zac
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 08 2012, 22:22

Thank you guys. I'm so excited, cant wait for tomorrow. Does anyone have any thoughts about a gsd/rotti mix? Apparently it's a popular mix, I'm not sure what to expect.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 08 2012, 22:31

They are both great breeds.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 08 2012, 23:51

Good Luck with it all Shontelle Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 09 2012, 00:02

Hey, Shon, any chance of seeing the parents of the pup?

I love GSDs & have owned them in the past. They learn well, but they can be very difficult, and many nowadays have mental & physical health problems. Be prepared for him to be really gobby & exceptionally strong, they are known for it. You'll be looking at a grown weight of around 45 - 50 kilos.

I know you would train him well, but remember you will have to be much firmer with that sort of cross that you were with Charlie.

Wouldn't be a cross I'd want (I had enough trouble with a GSD x Rough Collie!), but if the parents have good temperaments then he should be ok.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 09 2012, 00:03

good luck shon i hope it goes well tomorrow Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 09 2012, 08:23

good luck shontelle hope it goes ok for you today

Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 09 2012, 09:08

I am sure you will make the right choice Shontelle and should Charlie be ok with the new arrival, as you say, you can raise him to be the dog you want him to be. Will be hard work though.

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Jan 09 2012, 09:12

That is an interesting cross. Sounds like it will be quite a large dog when fully grown. I know we wouldn't have the room the that size pet, you obviously do otherwise you wouldn't even have considered it. Good luck hope it all works out OK.

Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 09 2012, 09:18

Hope it all goes well today. Good Luck Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 09 2012, 13:03

How did it go?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 09 2012, 13:07

A friend of mine actually has a GS/Rotti cross and he is the most dopey dog i know haha! wouldnt hurt a fly lol.
Good luck today! hope all goes well! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 09 2012, 13:08

Good luck hope it all goes well Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by flame Mon Jan 09 2012, 17:38

how did it go ???..................................................................................... coffee
flame
flame
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
I think I'm getting another dog tomorrow!!!! Top_ra10

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : River
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 09 2012, 17:45

that will be one big dog with that mix Big Grin i love GSD's we always had those lemmy was our first staff and he is so loving and sociable (last couple of days an exception >Smile but thats because he's a dog not becasue of breed) hope all goes well for you cant wait to see a pic of the pup infact lots of pics of both of them together.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Jan 09 2012, 18:06

............................we're waiting coffee
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 09 2012, 20:18

Hey guys.

The meeting went really well. Charlie and Ty got on really well together. My husband has a few concerns about the mix, so we have arranged a few meetings before we commit to having him so we can see what he's like around the kids when they're home and make sure him and Charlie really will be fine together. The breeder is happy with that, she just wants to make sure he gets a good home, and she said after meeting me today and seeing me with Carlie ets, she knows he'll have a happy home here. I took some pics earlier, am writing an essay at the mo but will upload as soon as I've finished.

I asked lots of questions about mum and dad, mum is the GSD, she has good hips and is in great general health. She's a big softy, very placid, and the same with the rotti, they've both been raised around kids and cats and are lovely easy going dogs. She said that neither have an aggressive bone in their body and both have been easy to train with no shows of dominance. She said the same as what we all say, 'you'll get out what you put in'. I think it's going to be great Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Mon Jan 09 2012, 20:23

Pleased you can give it time and it certainly sounds positive.

I'd love another, but haven't the room or the finances. Also Moo won't let another dog in the house lol!!

Looking forward to some pics, and hope all goes well Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 09 2012, 20:49

That's good news will wait for the pics Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mon Jan 09 2012, 20:57

Yay! It is fun having two even during the trial. There are trials but if any dog is raised properly, chances are that he will be great. If Charlie loves other dogs I bet it will be like it has for me. I have two that are inseperable after 5 days. Monte isn't crated when we leave but won't leave Frosty's crate side if Frosty is in it. He actually wants to get in with Frosty. They play and have a great time wearing themselves out. I know I am already generating more stories, but haven't had the time to post them yet. lol
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Mon Jan 09 2012, 21:01

Thats great. Glad the owner is making sure the dog goes to the right home and not the first person who happens to come along.

Sounds like all will be OK you are right to have concerns about the parents and that sounds OK too.

Really happy for you bet you cant wait....
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 09 2012, 21:22

Thank you everyone, I'm feeling pretty positive about it.

If all goes well and we do take him, Ty will be crated as he's only 10 weeks old. Charlie will be in the living room as usual during the day and up with us at nght. When Ty is older and better trained, he'll be sleeping in with us too but he'll still be crated if we're out because as much as I think they'll be best friends, I wouldn't leave them alone together just in case.

Ben, so good to hear that Monte and Frosty have settled so well together, I hope and believe it'll be the same with Charlie and Ty Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Irene Mon Jan 09 2012, 21:32

so pleased the first meeting went so well Smile I hope it all works out for you all xx

Ben - great that Monte and Frosty are so settled, they look so sweet next to each other xx

Irene

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Zac
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 69

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 09 2012, 22:13

Sounds like the parents are ok, so temperament wise he should be, too.

Nice to see that Charlie gets on well with him. As he's such a youngster things should go well. Good luck!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11 2012, 21:14

Hi guys, just a quick update then back to the essay writing!!

Spent some more time with Ty yesterday, he really is a lovely pup and is brilliant with Charlie and my children, but after a heart to heart, my husband and i have decided not to take him. Dan has some real reservations about his mix, and is concerned that he'll be 'too much dog' for us to handle, if that makes sense.

We know that training him would be very different to training Charlie, especially as he gets older. I've had my heart set on getting a staffy bitch for a long time now, and we've agreed to stick with that idea. We're both comfortable with staffs, and know what we're doing with them, but neither of us have ever owned a GSD or Rottweiler, so feel this is the most sensible option.

Thanks for all the good luck messages, shame it didnt work out, but I think we've made the right decision.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11 2012, 21:17

Shon, I think you've done the right thing. I've owned GSDs, and they can be very difficult dogs - headstrong, noisy & in need of constant mental stimulation. Add to that the sheer size & power of a rottie, and you have a helluva dog!

I'm sure he'll find a good home soon, and maybe you can keep in touch?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11 2012, 21:17

Its a right decision if you feel you cant work it with that particular dog rather than getting further down the line and regretting it like those who dont think do! Smile.
Good luck on your search for another staffy Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 11 2012, 21:21

Thanks ladies. I will definitely be getting updates on Ty, I'm sure he'll end up in the right home soon.

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Wed Jan 11 2012, 21:22

Glad you've thought it through. Give it a year all so and Charlie can have a girlfriend Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Thu Jan 12 2012, 10:14

Hi Shon, glad to hear that someone is giving it a lot of thought before going ahead with the decision to own another dog. It can't have been easy though.

Sounds like you really weighed things up and thought about the future implications of having a large dog. You are very brave in making that choice.

Give it some time and I'm sure that a little girlie friend will turn up. Well done.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 12 2012, 10:39

If that is what you and your family feels is best it's the right decision.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 13 2012, 10:47

cant believe i missed this! Sorry it didnt work out this time....

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down