FAO Scubasteve re Vet Nursing

2 posters

Go down

FAO Scubasteve re Vet Nursing Empty FAO Scubasteve re Vet Nursing

Post by Kathy Fri Jan 06 2012, 11:21

Hi Karen, I sent an email enquiry to the RCVS asking about training to become a Veterinary Nurse. I have now received a reply which has stated to contact Vet surgeries in my area which are on the list of training centres.

This narrows it down to 3 places to contact. I will be sending letters to them shortly. Once I have a position of trainee vet nurse I can then enrole on the training course. I guess that I go on a waiting list until a suitable position arrises. I will be taking the 3 year National Diploma route which has replaced the NVQ training as it was.

I hope that my previous qualifications of a BTec National Diploma in Hotel Catering is enough to gain entry. I also have several City & Guilds qualifications in various subjects including Level 2 Computerized Accounts, Level 2 Diploma in Administration and a Level 2 Diploma in Computer Applications,I just hope it's enough.

If I cannot get a position then I may have to study full time in which case a position at a vets will be found by the college wherever I study.

I have copied some of the info received below which clarifies what I have stated above,

[i]If you are interested in vocational training as a veterinary nurse then you have two options:

a) Find employment as a student nurse at a training practice (working full or part time) and attend college part time.
b) Or, enrol on a full time college course. This is a new option running in a limited number of colleges

I hope this makes sense, will update when I know more.

Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

FAO Scubasteve re Vet Nursing Empty Re: FAO Scubasteve re Vet Nursing

Post by Scubasteve Fri Jan 06 2012, 16:17

Sounds like you are getting there slowly. Be prepared though that some vets will want you to have worked with them for a wee while before you go through the training. This will be just to see that you are serious about it and to get a bit of practical experience before going in for the training. Good luck with getting into a veterinary surgery. Let me know how you get on with that once you have applied to them. I would suggest applying/enquiring with them all so you can decide which one to go for. After all you will be there a while so don't just choose one because it is closest etc.

Sounds promising though anyway, all these little steps will get you to where you want to be! Big Grin
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tinkerbell
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down