For Scubasteve

2 posters

Go down

Angel For Scubasteve

Post by Kathy Wed Oct 26 2011, 13:54

Thank you so much for replying to my message. I have only just picked it up sorry. I have been out of work a while because of my back injury for which I have regular treatment for physio, massage etc. I can get this whenever I need to. It is just the hubby and me, no kiddies.

I would like to retrain to become a veterinary nurse as I have always been interested in animals their welfare and behaviour. My husband and I are currently renting accommodation from a housing association which is not suitable for us (it is a one person flat, we do have a garden we are on the ground floor). The flat is not helping my condition at all and we desperatly need something larger. An income would help however small. I currently only receive the basic amount of benefit which is £65.00 per week. That has to cover everything. I know the training will take some time, 3 years apparently. I can cope with the current situation if I know I am doing something to get us out of it. My husband has disabilities to his lower body which prevent him working full time.

Any info you could sent would be grately appreciated. Many thanks in advance. thumbs up
Kathy
Kathy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Angel Re: For Scubasteve

Post by Scubasteve Thu Oct 27 2011, 12:43

That's no problem. I haven't been on as much as I liked, my little one has passed on his germs and so we are all suffering with a virus at the moment.

I think if it is just you and hubby then the pay has to be better than what you are getting now. I met my partner and wanted children straight away so didn't see that we could afford to with a vet nurse pay. That's not to say you shouldn't have a family. I remember you saying you had miscarried and had been trying for children (sorry if I am wrong), but in the future if you did want children, you would be able to afford it I should imagine, and there is better help now with tax credits etc.

I am pretty clued up on the degree programme, but if I remember right you are intending on doing the vocational programme. Is that the one that you train on the job? If it is you would need to find a practice to take you on, who is willing to train you up as a vet nurse. If this is the case, then you would propably have to work as an untrained nurse for a whilse before they train you, because it costs them money to send you on the course. Many practices want to make sure you are in it for the long haul before spending out on training you. If this is the route you go down, you do so many days in the practice and so many days in college. You complete nvq files over the course so you need to gather information when your working etc. So your day won't finish when you come home from work, as there will be studying to do too. But saying that it is a very rewarding job, and one that provides great job satisfaction.
With regards to your back, although there is a lot of lifting and bending etc which can strain your back, it can be prevented. Make sure you know and use the correct manual handling procedures for lifting stock and animals. Don't allow staff shortages oir laziness to force you into straining yourself. I was at a practice that was short staffed and so nurses were lifting dogs that were way too heavy. There are procedures set in place (which you will learn on your training) for the amount of nurses it takes to lift different kilo dogs. And also how to lift, e.g. supporting both the head and tail end to distribute the weight evenly. So as long as you work safely and don't allow yourself to be bullied into lifting, bending incorrectly then you should be fine. And especially with your ongoing physio etc you should be able to keep your back in good order.
Um, I think there is another way of training up, but not sure what it is. IS that vocational training that I described the one you intend on doing?
The degree programme and vocational training do differ slightly with regards to the qualification you achieve at the end of it. The degree programme obviosuly gives a higher qualification, one which may be favoured by some practices when you look to get a full time job. But it also has its disdvantages as I found out. I had to move from Wales to Edinburgh to do the degree as there was nowhere in Wales that runs the degree programme. It also means you have to rely on student loans etc and things can get a bit tight. There is a lot of practical aspect to the course, ours was 50% theory and 50% practical, so travelling to placements did get expensive. Some practices also favour the vocational programme qualification as there is no obligation to pay as much as someone that had a degree. Yet both outcomes equip you with the same skills and theory pretty much. This was another reason for me to quit because I had a summer placement at a practice where none of the nurses were qualified.

Not sure what else to add. Sorry I have harrison's virus so feeling very sleep deprived at the moment and unable to think straight. Hope this makes sense. Feel free to ask any more questions. It is a fab job, and one which I would love to go back to but just can't afford to with 2 young children to support just now. I am doing a medical sciences degree at the moment and I sit there wishing I had stuck at the vet nursing degree because I may well be qualified and working now Sad Good luck with it all! Big Grin
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tinkerbell
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Thu Oct 27 2011, 12:43

sorry that was really long! Blushing
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sat Oct 29 2011, 13:02

Karen, thank you for the reply. Doesn't matter that it is long, more things for me to know. Have spent most of this morning trying to find somewhere near me that does the Veterinary Nursing Level 3 Diploma. No luck so far, will keep trying!! Thanks again for your help. Smile

Think I will get in touch with Rocky's vets and see if they would be prepared to take me on. Really would love to get started ASAP. Would maybe be able to finance some training through government funding, although at the mo not sure with all cutbackes etc. Thank you Mr Cameron.

Still lots to sort out will keep me busy. Big Grin
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Sat Oct 29 2011, 16:28

Even if they aren't prepared to take you on to train you up, once your foot is in the door then they may well change their mind. So maybe you could start with a part time job there as a technician. That way you would still be doing the same jobs as a vet nurse, except injections (although some practices will allow this if you are watched). This is propably a good idea, because you can test the water so to speak, and see what it is like to work in the practice, and how your back copes with it.

With regards to the vets you choose for training, they have to be registered to train students. You would be allocated a mentor who has trained to train students, and will guide you through the nvq's etc. Can't for the life of me remember what the name of this registration process is though, but will let you know if it comes back to me!
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content