Automatic right to ignore my warnings? I don't think so...

+3
Aniemother
Ben
Skullkandi
7 posters

Go down

Automatic right to ignore my warnings? I don't think so... Empty Automatic right to ignore my warnings? I don't think so...

Post by Skullkandi Mon Dec 12 2011, 15:54

Okay, Junior is terrified of men, and does not like new people being too close to him. He shows this by shaking and fear wagging his tail. When I ask people, nicely, mind you, not to touch him, they get shirty with me, as if I have offended them.
What, does the fact I have a dog give you an automatic RIGHT to touch him? No it does not.
Especially when you can't read dog body language for the life of you =/

Anyone else had this?
Skullkandi
Skullkandi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Automatic right to ignore my warnings? I don't think so... Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 8

Back to top Go down

Automatic right to ignore my warnings? I don't think so... Empty Re: Automatic right to ignore my warnings? I don't think so...

Post by Guest Mon Dec 12 2011, 16:16

Yes.

It's a right royal pain in the a*se! Dempsey doesn't like evrybody & although he never tries to bite, he will growl. But I can see from his body language what he's going to do, so I tell people that he isn't good with strangers, so don't touch him, please. Do they listen? Do they f*ck!!!

Back to top Go down

Automatic right to ignore my warnings? I don't think so... Empty Re: Automatic right to ignore my warnings? I don't think so...

Post by Skullkandi Mon Dec 12 2011, 16:44

Caryll wrote:Yes.

It's a right royal pain in the a*se! Dempsey doesn't like evrybody & although he never tries to bite, he will growl. But I can see from his body language what he's going to do, so I tell people that he isn't good with strangers, so don't touch him, please. Do they listen? Do they f*ck!!!

And then who gets the telling off and the blame?
Spaniels and Setters can get away with it, but nooo bully breeds can't =/
Skullkandi
Skullkandi

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 12 2011, 16:55

Too true!

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mon Dec 12 2011, 18:30

I know this full well. Monte loves everyone, but my previous dog didn't like any strangers. He would try to bite. I had to tell lots of strangers they could not pet or approach my dog. Also, please just pretend he isn't there as that is how my dog was safest. Unfortunately people are idiots when it comes to dogs. The thing that always blows my mind is when people let their children approach strange dogs. WTH?
Ben
Ben
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 12 2011, 19:00

bbimson wrote: The thing that always blows my mind is when people let their children approach strange dogs. WTH?

I know! Luckily Dempsey is great with children, but the size of him....30+ kilos and teeth to match! You'd think people would be a little more cautious where their own children are concerned, wouldn't you?

Back to top Go down

Post by Skullkandi Mon Dec 12 2011, 19:26

bbimson wrote:I know this full well. Monte loves everyone, but my previous dog didn't like any strangers. He would try to bite. I had to tell lots of strangers they could not pet or approach my dog. Also, please just pretend he isn't there as that is how my dog was safest. Unfortunately people are idiots when it comes to dogs. The thing that always blows my mind is when people let their children approach strange dogs. WTH?

Oh the joy I've had with my two almost mauling children...seriously. Juniors got teeth like a shark and Kellevs canines are enough to make me slow down at times...
Skullkandi
Skullkandi

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 12 2011, 20:30

a few times at the training centre we have had people come up to Lottie but i just explain to them that lottie is afraid of people and everyone seems fine with that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 12 2011, 20:31

Luckily, at least around here, people tend to ask before touching.. so I have never had an issue. Not to say it will never happen, just not so far.

Sorry Jazz but 'almost mauling children' would be far too close for me.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 12 2011, 20:42

Suki is a little nervous around some people but everyone here asks before trying to pet her so no problem.

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Mon Dec 12 2011, 20:51

People like that make me so mad!

If you're on Facebook check out the DINOS: dogs in need of space group. They've even made handouts you can print and give out if you want to..
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 12 2011, 21:47

When I take Monty to the lake on a weekend, there's loads of people walking their dogs, and also parents with their children feeding the birds, too. I took Monty near the ducks on the weekend, and a child, say no more than 2 year old, standing there with her parents, feeding the ducks. I should also mention we were on a slope that led into shallow water, and so was the parents and child .. I had Monty on the lead, Monty LOVES people, he gets very excited when people make a fuss of him to the point he wees without control. The mother said to the child 'oh look behind you, a doggy !' the child came to approach Monty, but I pulled him back .. all it would take is for that child to lose her balance and roll into the shallow waters. I was rather baffled to say the least. But, how did she know my dog wasn't going to bite her ? I know he woudn't have ... but as you've rightly said .. my boy to them is a strange dog. Madness.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 12 2011, 21:51

My daughter has always been dog mad - from the age of about 1 year old! She'd always want to go & stroke any dog she saw. So I made sure that until she was old enough to ask nicely, I would ask if it was ok for her to pet a dog. Once she was old enough, I'd go with her & she would ask.

Even now, she's 17 years old, and she'll ask an owner before she'll make a fuss of a dog. People should train their children just as much as dog owners should train their dogs!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 12 2011, 21:58

Caryll wrote: People should train their children just as much as dog owners should train their dogs!

Absolutely ! I agree, it's the right thing to do. You should always ask before petting as you don't know the temperament of someone elses dog. But people don't think like that, they just think 'cute' and go in for the stroke.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skullkandi Mon Dec 12 2011, 22:00

I'm in the process of ordering labels for the dogs saying "Ask before touching" and see if that gets some sense into their head.
Skullkandi
Skullkandi

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Scubasteve Mon Dec 12 2011, 22:13

We get this a lot too, Tinkerbell is great with people but I still don't like it as we have been working hard to make sure she doesn't jump on everyone she sees so they stroke her. But still when I walk her close by me, people just approach her and stroke her which sends her mental because she has got what she wanted Sad And when I explain I'd rather they didn't stroke her, or encourage her to jump they look at me like I am mad.

I so agree with children though. My two have ben bought up not to go near any strange dog unless I have asked the owner if it is ok. Even my 2 year old knows that he shouldn't run up to a strange dog. I just don't understand the mentality of some people, and I bet it is those children who are encouraged to approach strange dogs that are bitten, and those parents which encouraged it that have given the bully breeds a bad name!
Scubasteve
Scubasteve

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tinkerbell
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 13 2011, 07:57

As Caryll said, it is wise to teach children what to do and not to do with strange dogs. When people ask to approach my lunatic, I ask them not to allow even the slightest jump up by turning away from him. Seems to work.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lizzie Tue Dec 13 2011, 10:54

Its something that always worries me because Harry loves being made a fuss of, but when someone stops he will try to grab their wrist and pull their hand back down to get them to carry on. This can be misunderstood so although I feel guilty about it I usually stop anyone I don't know from petting him.

Lizzie

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Harry
Dog(s) Ages : 6
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 98

Back to top Go down

Post by Skullkandi Tue Dec 13 2011, 18:45

And also people are just so quick to blame the bully breeds, I don't think it's worth the risk in my area. But yes, children need to learn how to respect dogs and approach and behave around them.
Skullkandi
Skullkandi

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 14 2011, 09:43

As much as we can teach children how to be with dogs, our dogs should also be taught to be gentle around children especially.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skullkandi Wed Dec 14 2011, 13:03

That is also very true :3
Skullkandi
Skullkandi

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by DEJohnson Wed Mar 11 2020, 02:39

We cannot talk with dogs. But we can make firends with dogs, right? Like the feeling with my Peugeot, I can love everything.

DEJohnson
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status : https://www.wapcar.my/,best site to find your perfect car
Dogs Name(s) : Arry
Dog(s) Ages : 1
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 0

https://www.wapcar.my/

Back to top Go down

Post by gillybrent Thu Mar 12 2020, 11:17

DEJohnson wrote:We cannot talk with dogs. But we can make firends with dogs, right? Like the feeling with my Peugeot, I can love everything.

I assume you're spamming the forum to promote your cars/website?

gillybrent

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 456

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down