acidrane13
Ben
Jackieb
linzy
8 posters

Go down

Raw eggs  Empty Raw eggs

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08 2011, 08:29

I have read so many conflicting things about raw eggs for dogs but I know I'll get more sense here! So Charlie Loves raw egg mixed in with his dry food, and he currently has it 2 or 3 times a week. I have recently read though that they shouldn't have it more than once a week because it lowers their white blood cell count but others say that they feed raw egg once a day and it does wonders for skin and coat. What are your opinions on this guys? Once a week, one a day? I have no idea!

Back to top Go down

Raw eggs  Empty Re: Raw eggs

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08 2011, 08:33

sorry i dont know, we give billy a raw egg occasionally, should i be doing it more often

Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08 2011, 08:38

Hopefully someone can help us both! Charlie absolutely loves it, so if its safe to give it every day, I will. It just makes his dry food a little more interesting and tasty for him.

Back to top Go down

Post by linzy Thu Dec 08 2011, 09:05

I take Violet home to my mum and dads at the weekend, and my dad gives her raw eggs then, so she gets maybe 2 a week. Dad makes her a big tub of dinner up with egg, meat and dry food mixed in, and she loves it, plus her coat is nice and shiny.

I have also heard of people giving their dogs raw eggs, including the shells, but I can't get it into my head that it's okay to eat jaggy eggshells!
linzy
linzy
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Violet
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08 2011, 09:19

I don't give him the shell, I would be afraid that the shells would cut his gums or something.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08 2011, 09:39

I give mine 1 a week, but I'm the same as Linzy, I don't give them the shells because I always think they will be too jaggy. Anything I've read says it's ok to give the shells as well, and they always try to chew on twigs when we are out but I can't get past the Jaggy shell thing Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08 2011, 09:52

I'm not really sure either. We don't give them to Suki but I used to give one a week to my Bulldog

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08 2011, 10:55

ok well havent got a clue about white blood cells etc but i was advised by my friend who breeds poms that 2 or 3 times a week is fine with or without shells, Ty loves shells but kaos doesnt. I no tuna ur only supposed 2 give once a week coz of the zinc content or something?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08 2011, 11:02

it seems every one is just as unsure as you!
I give Russell eggs every now and then, if I don't have any meat to give him for dinner I'll crack an egg over the dry food.

although, the other week I gave him an egg a day for 3 days and he developed a bit of dandruff, not sure if that was to do with eggs or just coincidence, haven't given him egg this week and the dandruff is gone though!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08 2011, 11:24

Thanks guys for your replies. I guess eggs are like everything else, good in moderation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Thu Dec 08 2011, 13:18

When Diesel was on the raw diet she ALWAYS had 1 egg per day complete with broken shell Smile she loved it.

I only took her off the raw diet due to lack of room for all her food in the fridge/freezer [lame i know]
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08 2011, 14:18

Ah maybe I will give him 1 a day then because he does really enjoy it. Charlie said thanks, he's gonna enjoy his daily egg Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08 2011, 14:26

RoXy has one a week....every Sunday but I don't give her the shell. Simply because she does'nt like the shell, she'll poke and eat around the shell and drop it all over the floor

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08 2011, 15:18

Don't give 1 a day!

Raw eggs can inhibit the absobence of some vitamins. A couple a week, or even 3 will be fine, but not every day. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Thu Dec 08 2011, 15:50

I agree with Caryll. Only a few times a week. Shells are fine if the dog likes them. I've never had them cut gums or anything. I know tuna is supposed to be given in moderation because of murcury content. Eggs because of vitamin bonding and colesteral. I give a couple eggs a week. Never done tuna because of breath. Big Grin
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08 2011, 16:12

Thanks guys. I'll do eggs 3 times a week and tuna or sardines a couple of times a week. I just want to make his food a little more interesting for him Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08 2011, 16:26

I gave my two a raw egg each yesterday. Mine probably get an egg once or twice a month.
Someone on here gave their dog and whole egg and made a video of them playing with it, (was a few months ago). I tried this with mine (made sure they were outside on the lawn) and there was no playing they both just went "crunch" and the eggs became "Humpty Dumpty"!!!!
I wasn't sure about the shells, so I had to wrestle them back off of them. Didn't even get the camera filming. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by acidrane13 Thu Dec 08 2011, 16:36

shontelle wrote:Thanks guys. I'll do eggs 3 times a week and tuna or sardines a couple of times a week. I just want to make his food a little more interesting for him Smile

For the last week Chase has had sardines with his dry food one day, then the next an egg over his dry food. So it works out 4 days of sardines and 3 with an egg.

He has the egg or sardines with his dry food in the morning and licks the bowl clean, then he has another bowl of just his biscuits in the evening (which he doesnt really pay much attention to most of the time) but without the sardines or egg in the morning ther would be days he would only eat a couple of mouth fulls of food, at least this way i know his eating at least one bowl of food a day.

He goes mad for it. He loses interest in his food very quickly if its the same everyday.
acidrane13
acidrane13
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Raw eggs  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Chase
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 08 2011, 18:47

Thanks Owen, I think I'll do that as well. I haven't tried him with sardines yet but he hasn't turned his nose up at anything yet so I'm sure he'll enjoy it Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by acidrane13 Fri Dec 09 2011, 23:13

Hope he likes them!

Chase goes crazy for them, but you may want to avoid any kisses for a little while after! sardine breath is pretty bad!

Sumone said to avoid the ones in brine, too much salt, the ones in tomato sauce or oil are better.
acidrane13
acidrane13
Raw eggs  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Chase
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by wentzer Fri Dec 09 2011, 23:39

raw eggs arent you worrie about salmonilla (sp?) or other ickys form the raw eggs, I alway cook daisys....I cant get over the fact that a raw egg could be good for them....
wentzer
wentzer
Raw eggs  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Dec 10 2011, 00:03

wentzer wrote:raw eggs arent you worrie about salmonilla (sp?) or other ickys form the raw eggs, I alway cook daisys....I cant get over the fact that a raw egg could be good for them....

In the UK nowadays all hens are tested for salmonella. As long as the eggs are fresh & kept properly they are fine, and extremely good for dogs in moderation.

Back to top Go down

Post by wentzer Sat Dec 10 2011, 01:31

wow interesting that is awesome, wish we had that. we have had so many eggs recalled and all.
wentzer
wentzer
Raw eggs  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Daisy
Support total : 11

Back to top Go down

Post by dan2011 Wed Dec 14 2011, 01:11

salmonella isnt in the hens its in the bacteria that grows on the surface of the egg, why do you think we cook them , its to kill of the bacteria, by giving your dog a raw egg your exposing him to bacteria, dogs immune systems are better than ours as thier spleen works twice as well but you will be causing them harm and at some point it may combine with another bacteria, possibly the parvo virus bacteria to make you dog very sick.

most animals and humans carry the parvo virus without problems but mixed with the right bacteria it is deadly and will eat your dogs organs, only symptom will be lethergy but sadly then it is too late.

do not risk raw foods on dogs. simple rule is if you wouldnt eat it they shouldnt eat it
dan2011
dan2011
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : max
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Wed Dec 14 2011, 05:06

nerd
dan2011 wrote:salmonella isnt in the hens its in the bacteria that grows on the surface of the egg, why do you think we cook them , its to kill of the bacteria, by giving your dog a raw egg your exposing him to bacteria, dogs immune systems are better than ours as thier spleen works twice as well but you will be causing them harm and at some point it may combine with another bacteria, possibly the parvo virus bacteria to make you dog very sick.

most animals and humans carry the parvo virus without problems but mixed with the right bacteria it is deadly and will eat your dogs organs, only symptom will be lethergy but sadly then it is too late.

do not risk raw foods on dogs. simple rule is if you wouldnt eat it they shouldnt eat it

Interesting thought but I would have to disagree as I wouldn't eat many things a dog loves to eat. There are many of us who have been feeding raw diets for some time and I have never had any issues other than positive outcomes (those who's dogs take to it and aren't intolerant of a specific animal or type). Nor have I ever seen conclusive documentation that a raw diet (properly administered) has negatively affected a healthy dog. I do know some don't like it and such, but that is different altogether. Additionally there are some people who don't do it for various reasons, but the research supports it as a viable long term feeding option. If you are referring only to eggs, I also would say that I've never found a study to support the specifics of your position. However, if you know of one, I'd happily consider it's evidence. And for the record, I'm not arguing that salmonella is not a bacteria that can be found on the surface of an egg or that a hen is or isn't the carrier. For the record I also have had raw egg numerous times. I'm just as likely to get it from a raw egg as spinach.
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Dec 14 2011, 11:28

dan2011 wrote:salmonella isnt in the hens its in the bacteria that grows on the surface of the egg, why do you think we cook them , its to kill of the bacteria, by giving your dog a raw egg your exposing him to bacteria, dogs immune systems are better than ours as thier spleen works twice as well but you will be causing them harm and at some point it may combine with another bacteria, possibly the parvo virus bacteria to make you dog very sick.

Whilst the bacteria is on the shell, it's put there when the hen lays the egg. This was proved when the UK had a terrible outbreak, nationwide, of salmonella poisoning & it was attributed to eggs. As I said, they are all now tested & the eggs you buy in the shops are free of slamonella.

Also, humans do not 'carry' parvovirus, neither can they become ill from it. The only way a human can pass the virus on to a dog is by the physical touching of an infected dog/faeces and then touching another dog. Neither salmonella nor parvo eat a dog's organs, and the symptoms of both are far worse than 'lethargy'. Salmonella will produce vomiting & diareah with abdominal pain & high temperature. Parvo will rpoduce similar symptoms, but with a metallic smell & blood in the faeces.

Please, if you are going to give advice, make sure of your facts first.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 15 2011, 18:11

I have a health book about good things too add to there diet, it says that eye with the white is ok about once a week just the yolk can be given everyday.

Ive just fed them and added the yolk of the egg hoping too help stans coat, and they loved it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Dec 15 2011, 20:49

I give the boys when i remember eggs two maybe three times a week i also give them the shell, i just egg them the egg whole and let them get on with it Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsxg Mon Mar 05 2012, 14:12

I tend to give lola scrambled egg when she has an upset tummy but she loves them so want to give them more often Smile
the sardines/tuna.. do you use tinned?? If so in oil or brine??
Thanks Smile
mrsxg
mrsxg

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog(s) Ages : 6yrs
Support total : 28

http://[url=http://pitapata.com][img]http://pdgf.pitapata.com/re

Back to top Go down

Post by steve76 Mon Mar 05 2012, 14:16

in oil, salt isn't good for dogs
steve76
steve76

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Marley
Dog(s) Ages : 2
Support total : 239

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 05 2012, 14:28

mrsxg wrote:I tend to give lola scrambled egg when she has an upset tummy but she loves them so want to give them more often Smile
the sardines/tuna.. do you use tinned?? If so in oil or brine??
Thanks Smile

Oil or spring water, definitely not brine, it's too salty.

Scrambled egg isn't as bad as raw. It's raw eggs that inhibit the absorption of vitamins/minerals. Having said that, I wouldn't give too many eggs, even cooked ones, as they are quite high in cholesterol!

Back to top Go down

Post by mrsxg Mon Mar 05 2012, 15:06

Scrambled egg isn't as bad as raw. It's raw eggs that inhibit the absorption of vitamins/minerals. Having said that, I wouldn't give too many eggs, even cooked ones, as they are quite high in cholesterol!

Yeah she'll just get 2-3 scrambles eggs a week and a tin of sardines once a month Smile

That would be ok won't it??

So is it ok to feed her the whole egg scrambled egg??

Last edited by mrsxg on Mon Mar 05 2012, 19:34; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding stuf)
mrsxg
mrsxg

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Engaged
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog(s) Ages : 6yrs
Support total : 28

http://[url=http://pitapata.com][img]http://pdgf.pitapata.com/re

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 05 2012, 15:21

Caryll wrote:

Yeah she'll just got 2-3 scrambles eggs a week and a tin of sardines once a month Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 05 2012, 17:41

If they eat the yolk and the white it counteracts the inhibition of absorption of vitamins etc.

Wow that was a mouthful and a half!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down