castration

2 posters

Go down

castration Empty castration

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 01:02

i know castration can carm a dog down but does it take the fight out of the dog

the reason am asking this is am looking at all the options with what im doing with memphis
my main worry is if a dog off lead was to attack would he still have the i dont want to say aggresion but would he still have the drive to defend himself as i dont want him to be a soft target and get injured if he would just back down.
but belive me i will not be letting him get into that kind of situation if poss but other owners are not so carefull

Back to top Go down

castration Empty Re: castration

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 02:15

He may be put in his place often with petty blunt attacks but if seriously attacked a dog with defend himself

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 02:51

shane wrote:
MissRogue wrote:He may be put in his place often with petty blunt attacks but if seriously attacked a dog with defend himself

yeah he may will, but he will run out of steam very soon after, and come out the worse for wear Laughing

Thats definate but hopefully by then they would of been parted.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 08:56

My Ty was done at 6/7 months and although he would never start a fight he is very quick to defend himself and me, a couple of months ago a off lead dog went for me (apparently owner said he didnt like long blonde hair??) and Ty rolled and pinned him as the other dog was running and growling towards me and he wouldnt let him up till the owner came with a lead.
Ty is normally the submissive dog i must addmitt but and i do think it has taken alot of the fight out of him but i dont think for a second he wouldnt defend himself........ Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 09:53

this is a verry hard subject to deside on as there are deff good and bad parts of de-sexing just glad iv got the time needed to fully avaluate the subject

Back to top Go down

Post by whmon Sat Nov 13 2010, 10:27

Buster was attacked recently by a notoriously aggressive dog in our area (another big staffy cross like him.) Buster wasn't interested in fighting with the dog, he just immediately went for its throat and would have killed it if he had been allowed to. Castration certainly didn't make him soft.

whmon
Banned
Banned

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 12:05

Any dog no matter how submissive they are if they needed to fight for their life, they will do.

Staffords don't often start fights, but they will finish them.

Rocco is the softest dog in the world, and if he senses aggression from a dog, he wouldn't go near it, however if he needed to fight back, he would - but he would never be put in that situation.

c

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 14:13

well the last couple of posts have put my mind at rest a lot but im the same he will not be put in that situation but you can never be 100% safe

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 18:00

All I can say is from what I've learnt from Blue (Only dog I've had done).
Put it ths way Blue is allot calmer now but if a dog any dog starts growling he goes for them. So I would have to say no problems defending himself.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Nov 13 2010, 19:26

Youve got a while to think about it big wazza at least! Do u think u may be getting another dog at some point as this may be a factor to consider as well in ur decition x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 14 2010, 01:45

the thing is he isint hyper or aggresive at the minute so there still a lot of thinking to do on the matter no doubt i will get there in the end

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Nov 14 2010, 11:24

My dog isnt castrated and is eight years old, in my experience he is very dominent and is dog aggressive but only with me (does this make sense) with others my son for examole he will tolerate other dogs when I walk him its come near mum and your dead. I dont think ive done anything to make him do this unless he sees me as weak and need protecting.
I dont no if he would of been castrated would his behavior had been calmer but to be honest I dont think I would have changed him either, he has a great life food a nice warm fire comfy bed long walks and loads of love.
I have seen entire males getting along and ive seen castrated dogs that are dog aggressive I think dominence is determined very early on in competing for food warmest place ect.
Its a personal choice
Smile
gem
gem
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Nov 14 2010, 11:24

My dog isnt castrated and is eight years old, in my experience he is very dominent and is dog aggressive but only with me (does this make sense) with others my son for examole he will tolerate other dogs when I walk him its come near mum and your dead. I dont think ive done anything to make him do this unless he sees me as weak and need protecting.
I dont no if he would of been castrated would his behavior had been calmer but to be honest I dont think I would have changed him either, he has a great life food a nice warm fire comfy bed long walks and loads of love.
I have seen entire males getting along and ive seen castrated dogs that are dog aggressive I think dominence is determined very early on in competing for food warmest place ect.
Its a personal choice
Smile
gem
gem

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 14 2010, 11:38

Dominance and agression are two different issues.

Dempsey is highly dominant. He will get along fine with any dog (unless he's already had a run-in with them) as long as they are submissive. Any sign of agression or dominance towards him & he'll turn.

Bandit was dog agressive, but not overly dominant. He just didn't like other dogs!

Neither were castrated, and I don't think castration would ahve made a lot of difference to Bandit, although it may do with Dempsey.

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sun Nov 14 2010, 11:51

Caryll wrote:Dominance and agression are two different issues.

Dempsey is highly dominant. He will get along fine with any dog (unless he's already had a run-in with them) as long as they are submissive. Any sign of agression or dominance towards him & he'll turn.

Bandit was dog agressive, but not overly dominant. He just didn't like other dogs!

Neither were castrated, and I don't think castration would ahve made a lot of difference to Bandit, although it may do with Dempsey.
Well mine is both Sad cause if I let him of lead he would not bother if other dog was submissive or not his first thought would be attack. But hes a wonderful dog to own and he has so many other qualities so he is what he is and thats okay with me Big Grin
gem
gem

Status Status :

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 14 2010, 12:04

Yes, some staffords are just like that. It's something you may have to just learn to live with, I'm afraid.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down