Kathy
Steve
Rochelle121
9 posters

Go down

Am i wrong? Empty Am i wrong?

Post by Rochelle121 Sun Nov 27 2011, 20:05

Hey guys,
Well heres my dilema...every now and then i give my staffy maybe a square inch of mature chedder as a treat,well my mother in law had a right go at me today for doing this called me stupid and all kinds (something about the calcium?) i wasnt listening tbh,as she said its bad for my dog?ive never heard this and like i say it is only a treat usualy for a treat he has the bakers or pedigree 1s,well this women has never owned a dog in her life so i dont think shes necessarily got points of authority on this 1,Atleast i know ppl here actualy know what theyre talking about! if its wrong i will stop no problem but also i used to do the same with my last dog and she was fit as a fiddle,I never had any problems with her,I can understand it being bad in excess but surely as a treat would be ok??

Rochelle121
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : perriot (pronounced peer-oh)
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Am i wrong? Empty Re: Am i wrong?

Post by Steve Sun Nov 27 2011, 20:11

i give my dog cheese now and then Smile

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Sun Nov 27 2011, 20:15

Rocky has some cheese now and then no problems.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 27 2011, 20:19

Billy has some occasionally too

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Sun Nov 27 2011, 20:19

You go carefull there. A little treat such as cheese can make them very obese!! Laughing

janey
janey

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Sun Nov 27 2011, 20:20

As a treat and in moderation aint gunna do any harm ... Max loves the stuff Wink
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochelle121 Sun Nov 27 2011, 20:22

Thank i thought her logic was retarded furious hence why i switched off halfway through her babble...oh but let me tell you this!! I had to tell her dogs wern't allowed chocolate! i would have though that was a given for any1 to know!! i politely said that I personaly would rather he had none than even a little because i have small children who if they see her giving him even a square will take this as a green light to feed him all theres,it saves the vet appointment and possibly real harm...eugh we dnt get on and i swear she does it just to grind my gears,because i don't believe anyones that stupid /Smile

Rochelle121

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 27 2011, 20:25

My two have cheese to get them to take meds lol .. hide a tablet in a small amount of cheese and they dont know the differance lol.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 27 2011, 20:46

When we had our old border collie as a pup (bless his soul) the trainer who was also his breeder and a very well respected dog behavioral expert (my point being very well qualified with dogs) told me to use cheese and badly burnt liver as the best treat ever as a training aid , so there you go

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 27 2011, 20:50

staffy-lover89 wrote:My two have cheese to get them to take meds lol .. hide a tablet in a small amount of cheese and they dont know the differance lol.

We did the same thing with our last dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochelle121 Sun Nov 27 2011, 20:52

davemck3834 thank you!! i am going to metaphorically slap this in her face lol Smile

Rochelle121

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by bobs Sun Nov 27 2011, 21:11

We had a trainer for Sophie and he always used both cheese and sausage meat.
Even now we still use cheese as a training aid for her.
Her trainer always said he was known as the cheese man, and it hasn't done Sophie any harm.
bobs
bobs

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sophie
Dog Gender(s) : female
Support total : 13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 27 2011, 21:20

Rochelle121 wrote:davemck3834 thank you!! i am going to metaphorically slap this in her face lol Smile

Don't do the metaphors just do the slapping , my Mother OUT Law thinks she is the world authority on dogs because she's had a few, she is the world authority on Staffys though she has never owned one (ours is fine but generally she doesnt think they are a good dog) knows more about Animal welfare than my Vet (who is actally the best vet ever because Tilly loves him to bits)....get the picture , if I had my way once she started obout Staffys I knew she wasn't on the planet and wanted to ban her for life, unfortunately my wife won't let me ...............yet .. WATCH THIS SPACE Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Sun Nov 27 2011, 22:10

I have used cheese as a treat for a long time. Mothers in law can trigger heartburn like nobody else!
Ben
Ben

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Frosty, Piglette
Dog(s) Ages : 3, 5
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 325

Back to top Go down

Post by Skullkandi Sun Nov 27 2011, 22:44

Junior stole mine =/ And fled with it, i have never looked so much like a guppy in my life.
But no, Cheese be fine for staffs ^^ 'specially in the winter :3
Skullkandi
Skullkandi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Am i wrong? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 27 2011, 23:40

bbimson wrote: Mothers in law can trigger heartburn like nobody else!

Skullkandi wrote:Junior stole mine =/ And fled with it, i have never looked so much like a guppy in my life.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Oh, I love those two comments.........especially since one day I'll probably be a mother in law! Surprised I dont want to s

Seriously........cheese in moderation (preferably hard cheese cause the soft ones have more fat & clog their teeth!) is no problem at all. Chocolate however is a BIG mistake - it's actually poisonous to dogs, especially the dark chocolate. Some dogs can eat a little with no harm at all but others will become quite ill with only a small amount; best not to take a chance at all. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Skullkandi Sun Nov 27 2011, 23:43

Yep, no chocolate but a lil bit of cheese is all good.
No, but seriously, you should have seen that Staffy flee...it was like he had something on his heels. It was all in good fun, his tail was up, and he was smiling when he sat down and dropped the cheese. Obviously he thought I was going to take it from him, but I let him have it <3
Skullkandi
Skullkandi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Am i wrong? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Nov 27 2011, 23:48

Skullkandi wrote: but I let him have it <3

I should think so, too! He deserved it! Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 28 2011, 08:43

Charlie loves cheese, and I've seen cheese used as a training treat on training shows a few times. I'm so lucky in that I get on fantastically well with my husbands whole family, but I can imagine how rough it must be to have them breathing down your neck all the time! Just point her in this direction, we'll tell her a thing or two! Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 28 2011, 09:04

jstaff wrote:
staffy-lover89 wrote:My two have cheese to get them to take meds lol .. hide a tablet in a small amount of cheese and they dont know the differance lol.

We did the same thing with our last dog

I have to do the same with Millie, anything else I try to hide them in she can eat the food and spit out the tablet whole Surprised Her and Bella both love cheese and always get a little bit as a treat Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ernestine Mon Nov 28 2011, 12:06

I'm so jealous!!! I tried that with Duke, he's one clever old man though!! Cool I ended up with cheese and staffy gob literally up to my elbow! Surprised Oh, and a very sore bruised thumb knuckle from when he was trying to get the mess OUT of his mouth and accidentally bit down on it. I can still see the look on his face "Sorry, mom, I didn't mean it, but your thumb was just mixed up with the goo!" Laughing Ordinarily, he'd probably donate his TAIL to charity for cheese, he loves it so much But also, only hard cheddar. And don't get me started on peanut butter rolling on the floor

Rochelle, I seem to remember a really good article on foods to avoid giving your Staff, somewhere on this site. Can anybody help with directions to it please? I found it really informative. Smile
Ernestine
Ernestine
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Duke
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Rochelle121 Mon Nov 28 2011, 17:32

oh thank you ernestien i'll have a little mooch for that,you know what i find annoiying?the mere suggestion that i couldnt possibly know what im doing? i mean i only researched this dog upto highdo to gain all the info i could before getting him and before my previous staffs! i looked evry piece of info on boy pups because my last two wer girls and im still allways open to learn new things! its so annoiying when you know youre trying ur best and someones just there to point out the bad bits /Smile someone whos never owned a dog! but you gotta bite ur tongue with the inlaws..but im not sure i'll have any tongue left to bite soon!!! lolol

Rochelle121

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 28 2011, 18:17

the thing with dairy products and dogs is simple. a dog is fed from its mothers milk but somet times when the dog is weened and growing up it can become lactose intolerant and thats why things like milk and cheese should be avoided but if you have always done it and the dog has no ill effects then i wouldnt think there was any harm. i only know about he lactose intolerant becayse our house had this debate about lemmy getting weetabix for breakfast sometimes which obviously are made with milk. so i lookked it up.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down