Help cant walk my Staffie since Firework night

2 posters

Go down

Help cant walk my Staffie since Firework night Empty Help cant walk my Staffie since Firework night

Post by Michael Dempster Wed Nov 16 2011, 13:00

Hi Guys,

Really hope you can help me, since firework night my 4 yr old girl has been a nightmare on walks.

She will be fine until she gets to a certain spot or hears a bang (someone hammering is enough) then she starts jumping up at me and trying to bite my arms and her lead, she will do this continually and nothing I say to her changes it until either she has to be carried for a while or we have to turn back when she will pull like mad the whole way home.

She has always been fine until this year and I have never had any control issues with her previously!

Any advice gratefully recieved!

Michael

Michael Dempster
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Help cant walk my Staffie since Firework night Empty Re: Help cant walk my Staffie since Firework night

Post by Guest Wed Nov 16 2011, 13:10

Sorry I'm not really sure what to advise. We don't have alot of fireworks over here and all my other dogs have been fine with them.

Back to top Go down

Help cant walk my Staffie since Firework night Empty Re: Help cant walk my Staffie since Firework night

Post by Guest Wed Nov 16 2011, 14:00

Returning to basics may be helpful. Also dont acknowledge the undesirable reactions in anyway. Bring her back to a heel sit if possible and try keeping her moving forward through her anxiety. Perhaps leading her with a really nice treat, a few steps at a time. Picking her up may make matters worse.

Back to top Go down

Post by Skullkandi Fri Nov 18 2011, 03:07

Try ignoring the behavior and keep on walking with a jaunty "come, girl" command and then nothing. Do Ceaser Milans "Alpha Walk", head up, shoulders back, act like there is nothing to be worried about.

Or try changing direction sharply and then walking back, but keep it at a fast walk and don't run. I think running might make it worse in this situation. A chain lead would also act as a deterrent in this case. Dogs don't like the feel of metal between the teeth.

Does squealing work? Like when an injured dog squeals?
I'm just throwing ideas out at you.
Long Lines as well could work for this...
Skullkandi
Skullkandi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Help cant walk my Staffie since Firework night Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 18 2011, 09:03

Skullkandi wrote: A chain lead would also act as a deterrent in this case. Dogs don't like the feel of metal between the teeth.

I think that would make the panic worse!

I'd try the carrying on & ignoring if possible. If she jumps up at you, turn smartly around & carry on walking. Do that every time she tries to jump up.

Failing that, something that was told to me years ago might work. Go out & buy a drum. Just a children's drum. Indoors, tap it quietly & call the dog to you. If she comes, give her praise & treats. If not, put the drum on the floor & call again. Eventually she'll come & then you can move on to the next stage. Hit the drum harder & louder & call her. Eventually she won't mind the noise no matter how loud it is.

Next, take the drum on a walk with you (with plenty of treats). If she shows signs of anxiety, bang the drum & call her. Hopefully she'll associate the drum with a treat & will overcome the anxiety. You'll feel really silly, and you'll get a lot of funny looks, but ignore them!

Good luck.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 18 2011, 13:46

What is a chain lead?? Sounds barbaric!

Back to top Go down

Post by Skullkandi Fri Nov 18 2011, 15:01

LOL! kays, its just a lead, but with a leather handle and chain links. It's a normal lead, but as Caryll said, might make the problem worse...actually, double that, ignore totally, I got the wrong end of the stick there, a nylon lead should be alright.

Everything else that Caryll says makes sense, try it. Should work.
Skullkandi
Skullkandi
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Help cant walk my Staffie since Firework night Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Support total : 8

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down