Dewclaw removal

5 posters

Go down

Crying Dewclaw removal

Post by Maxien78 Thu Nov 03 2011, 22:16

Im a little traumatised! So in need of consolement.

Sapphire had her visit to the vets today, she is perfectly halthy, her weight is spot on, and everything else is as it should be. She had her 2nd immunisations but i do have to go back to the breeders vets and get details of her 1st imunisations. Because she didn't even notice that she had the injection the vets said it would bfine to micro chip her so we had that done too and again she didn't even notice (my ickle soldier Love Struck )

I asled him about the dewclaw removal and he told me a rough price and then told me i would do better just removing it myself. I didn't think a vet would suggest this but he said it would be fine. He said it will cause her more distress to numb the area and cut it off than it will to just cut it. So we got some sterile scissors from the chemist with sterile gauze and sterile wipes. I cut the claw off with a teeny tiny yelp from Sapphire and then it was forgotten for her, she's playing and running around as normal. But i am traumatised Sad

Last edited by Maxien78 on Thu Nov 03 2011, 22:27; edited 1 time in total
Maxien78
Maxien78
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sapphire
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Crying Re: Dewclaw removal

Post by janey Thu Nov 03 2011, 22:20

As would I be!
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Nov 03 2011, 22:27

Wow, you're brave - I wouldn't have had the guts to do that!

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxien78 Thu Nov 03 2011, 22:36

I don't know where i got them from to be honest. I wanted to be a paramedic but decided to go to uni to do Biomedical Science and Human Biology so i could go to med school, so blood, boes and hanging limbs don't bother me, i could cut open a human without a single twinge if it was needed, so i kinda had to think of her as a human. Bu i keep playing over and over in my head "what if the scissors didn't cut in one clean cut?" They did and it was over with in seconds and forgotten about in a few seconds more. She really isnt fazed by it. But im being a complete and utter wimp Straight Face

She must think its her birthday at the minute cus sheshad lots of treats and a new toy for being brave lol...i think my treat will be a stiff drink lol

Maxien78
Maxien78

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxien78 Thu Nov 03 2011, 22:40

May i just say. DO NOT do this unless advised by the vets!!
Maxien78
Maxien78

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Thu Nov 03 2011, 22:46

Saphire is soooo cute in your avy Love Struck

and there's no way I could do it ... vets say so or not Surprised
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Max
Dog(s) Ages : DOB: Aug 2010
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 305

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxien78 Thu Nov 03 2011, 22:59

To be honest i didnt want to put her through having to go in the car which sh HATES just to go have it taken off. Plus the vet said the needle to numb it would cause more distress than just lobbing it off. I suppose he woudn;t have told me to do it myself if it would cause her harm. We are back there in 2 weeks for a puppy meeting group so i will get him to check her over again and check my veterinarian skills Tongues (had a drink so im ok now lol)
Maxien78
Maxien78

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Thu Nov 03 2011, 23:15

Fair play to ya Wink ... the puppy class's are a right laff !! ... Max LOVED it, he was really gentle with the smaller toy breeds bless him, but there was a large boystruss Lab pup there that lived on a farm with other dogs ... and well !! he thought that was amazing Big Grin they were like a pair of tazmanian devils Laughing ... but Max ALWAYS ended up on top, with the bigger lab pinned to the floor panting his heart out Laughing ... happy days !
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxien78 Thu Nov 03 2011, 23:22

Oh gosh Sapphire will love it then. She went back to see her mum, dad and sister on Saturday and all day she faught with her sister, play fighting, pulling her about and even had a pop and mum and dad. She was sparked out for the whole night after it.

At the vets today we saw 2 puppt springer spaniels, 2 border collies and a yorkie, she scratched and clawed at me to get down and play but i couldn't let her just yet. She was a big hit with the nurses though and loved the attention.
Maxien78
Maxien78

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Andy Thu Nov 03 2011, 23:36

Yeah know exactly wot ya mean, Staffy's do seem to steel the limelight where ever they go, but bluey's even more so I've found (he's our third bully by the way, but the first blue)

We only live up the road from you in the Worcester area wave ... did you have to go far for Saphire ?
Andy
Andy

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by stiofan Fri Nov 04 2011, 00:01

Ouch, my first dog was a greatdane and the vet removed his dew claws when the dog was under anesthetic being neutered.
stiofan
stiofan
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Dewclaw removal  Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Sisko, Kasidy ,Tasha
Dog Gender(s) : Male,Female,Female
Support total : 17

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxien78 Fri Nov 04 2011, 19:41

Andy wrote:Yeah know exactly wot ya mean, Staffy's do seem to steel the limelight where ever they go, but bluey's even more so I've found (he's our third bully by the way, but the first blue)

We only live up the road from you in the Worcester area wave ... did you have to go far for Saphire ?

Well the breeder lives in wolverhampton but that is where i lived until feb this yr, myself and the breeder have 2 girls together so we make regular visits up there. Sapphire is a blue brindle now, but she is a 2 tone dog lol. in one light she has a shade of caramel but in another light she looks blue brindle. She has amazing colouring and i agree her colouring gets her more attention and she takes ful advantage of it too lol.
Maxien78
Maxien78

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxien78 Fri Nov 04 2011, 19:48

stiofan wrote:Ouch, my first dog was a greatdane and the vet removed his dew claws when the dog was under anesthetic being neutered.

Yeah the vet did ask if we were getting her done but i don't want her done just yet. She is just a ickle baby and im still trying to find out of her granny is registered, if she is i would like to get her registered and maybe let her have a litter before i get her done. Some would say im being irresponsible but i don't think i am. I have grown up with dogs, never had to take care of one full time like i do with Sapphire but i still wuld like to breed her once but only if i know i can find good homes forst....plus i get to keep one without having to beg the other half for another one to keep Sapphire company Tongues

Also my ex has successfully bred his dogs for years and is very strict on who has the pups andhas been known to take pups back if he doesn't think they are being taken care of.

HOWEVER i am still only thinking about it, i like to keep my options open. I was sterilised 10 yrs ago and would love another baby but unless i can find £5-£6k to have it reversed imnever gonna get another baby, so baby puppies will do wonderfully and so far Sapphire is filling that void and stopped my biological clock from ticking at me very loudly lol.
Maxien78
Maxien78

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 04 2011, 20:20

Maxien78 wrote:[Yeah the vet did ask if we were getting her done but i don't want her done just yet. She is just a ickle baby and im still trying to find out of her granny is registered, if she is i would like to get her registered and maybe let her have a litter before i get her done. Some would say im being irresponsible but i don't think i am. I have grown up with dogs, never had to take care of one full time like i do with Sapphire but i still wuld like to breed her once but only if i know i can find good homes forst....plus i get to keep one without having to beg the other half for another one to keep Sapphire company Tongues

Please think very carefully before you breed & consider the following...

*Is she a good enough example of the breed to produce puppies that will enhance the breed?
*Are you prepared to get all the necessary health tests done re: genetic diseases in staffs?
*Are you prepared to make sure that the stud dog is also a good example & will correct her faults?
*Will you ensure that the stud dog has also had the necessary health tests done?
*Are you prepared for the possibility of a cesarean if the birth goes wrong?
*Will you have good, well vetted homes for all of the pups to go to?

I'm not saying don't breed, but please don't mate her just because you want her to have pups before she's spayed, or because you think it'd be nice to keep a pup for yourself. That really isn't a good enough reason.

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxien78 Sat Nov 05 2011, 11:14

Oh gosh no, i will make sure i have all the health checks etc...this is why i am only thinking about it.
Maxien78
Maxien78

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by gem Sat Nov 05 2011, 22:08

Have I missed something was she having trouble with her dewclaw hope she is okay now poor baby you are brave to do that dont think I could Surprised
gem
gem

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : duke
Dog Gender(s) : dog
Support total : 83

Back to top Go down

Post by Maxien78 Sun Nov 06 2011, 13:24

No she is fine thank you Smile

Her dewclaw was sticking out and the vets recommended it be removed. We have taken it off and she doesn;t even care lol. We were more distressed th she was. The wound is healing nicely but we will take her to have it checked by the vets next week.
Maxien78
Maxien78

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content