Toilet trained..........nearly!!

3 posters

Go down

Toilet trained..........nearly!! Empty Toilet trained..........nearly!!

Post by Double_G Sun Oct 31 2010, 14:03

From the minute i brought dave home i started paper training him which isnt ideal but because i have a flight of stairs leading down to my garden its the only way untill he is able to get down them,anyways when i first brought him back he haed a couple of accidents on the rug in the living room not a problem i picked him up and put him on the paper in the kitchen whilst the other half cleaned up,the problem is now he goes on the paper every time unless he has wandered into the living room were he'll try to go on the rug,i thought it might of been that he can some how still smell his scent so i lifted the rug and gave4 it a full shampoo but he still trys to go on it,has any one got any ideas ?

Double_G
Double_G
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Dave
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Toilet trained..........nearly!! Empty Re: Toilet trained..........nearly!!

Post by Steve Sun Oct 31 2010, 14:11

some pups get the hang of it straight away & some take abit longer, but sometime they do slip up.... Laughing

Steve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 1443

https://staffy-bull-terrier.niceboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Double_G Sun Oct 31 2010, 14:20

They arnt accidents if he's in the living room he'll not even attempt to head towards the kitchen he just goes for the rug,but when he's roaming around the rest of the house he'l go to the kitchen to go to the toilet. confused
Double_G
Double_G

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 31 2010, 14:23

He probably feels that you are more relaxed in the living room, so he is as well! So it's probably a mixture of habit & don't-want-to-go-anywhere-else! I'd take up the rug for a couple of weeks, cause he's looking on it as his personal toilet, and if necessary put a little paper down in the living room as well. Then gradually move the paper nearer & nearer the door & eventually outside.

He'll get there!

Back to top Go down

Post by Double_G Sun Oct 31 2010, 14:41

I think im going to have to lift the rug i was hoping i wouldnt have to with it being big without it the living room feels cold and bare but i suppose it wont be for to long.
Double_G
Double_G

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 31 2010, 14:44

Ah, I thought you meant a small rug. Maybe you could just try with the paper for now & see if that works - if it does, you won't have to touch the rug!

Back to top Go down

Post by Double_G Sun Oct 31 2010, 14:55

Will that not confuse him if i have paper in the living room and kitchen ?
Double_G
Double_G

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 31 2010, 15:15

dg a know you say he is toilet trained almost but you might find this is becouse when you got him home there was no smell to tell him were to toilet when his smell gots all around the house you may find you will be havin more accidents but dont worrie this dont last long before you get him back on track

also dont let him follow you to the toilet as he will see you doing your bizz and he will try and follow suit

also cant wait to see some pics Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Double_G Sun Oct 31 2010, 15:42

I think its just going to be down to perseverance.

The pics will be on later tonight maybe tomorrow,theres a big change in him the vet couldnt belive he was 6 weeks old Big Grin
Double_G
Double_G

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 31 2010, 16:15

ye his dad makes big pups i had the same the vet said he was 9 weeks when he was 6 weeks would not believe me lol Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by mika03 Sun Oct 31 2010, 18:27

if i were you i would not be putting paper in the living room bad idea then puppy thinks its ok to go toilet in there full stop .. bring him or her out every half hour or so should teach them say things like we go for a wee wee works well then the start to notice the meaning of this and wait outside with them until they have done business even if you have to bring them right down to the garden and really praise them for doing it outside they will so recognise this is the right plac it hard work but you do not want them learning the house is a good idea to do there business look for signs sniffing round its easy enougth to pick up these signs but using the word lets for a wee wee and bring them outside and wait worked took about 2 weeks but so glad we did this
mika03
mika03
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : mika
Dog Gender(s) : female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 31 2010, 18:53

patience, persistence, and praise. these are the 3 Ps to remember when house training your puppy, as with a human baby, you must be patient, tolerant, and understanding of your pets mistakes, making him feel loved and wanted. not rejected and isolated. you wouldn't hit a baby for soiling their nappies. as you would realise that he/she was not yet able to control his/her bowel movements. be compassionate with your puppy. never rub his/her nose in their excreta. never indulge in the common practice of punishing him/her with a rolled up newspaper. never hit your puppy with your hand. he will only become hand shy and learn to fear you. patience, persistence and praise

Back to top Go down

Post by mika03 Sun Oct 31 2010, 18:56

i agree it is just like looking after a baby
mika03
mika03

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : mika
Dog Gender(s) : female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Oct 31 2010, 18:58

Kuma still now and again has a little wee when we carry on she gets reeli exited and them let's one go but if a shout NOOO !! she looks at me with those big eye's and runs to the door ... av shouted no if et wasnt on the pad's and praised if et was . Well thats how a done it Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 01 2010, 10:40

I think that sometimes butting paper/pads down is a bit pointless anyway. Why dont u just let him out for a wee staright away. I took kaos out from the offset every half an hour without fail and waited there till he did something then treated him like mad lol he got the jist really quickly also having him crated when out/nightime helped loads.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 01 2010, 10:52

blaze666 wrote:I think that sometimes butting paper/pads down is a bit pointless anyway. Why dont u just let him out for a wee staright away. I took kaos out from the offset every half an hour without fail and waited there till he did something then treated him like mad lol he got the jist really quickly also having him crated when out/nightime helped loads.
your bang on there blaze first thing i would do when a came in was open the back door then let him out his crate and put him straight outside for his bizz and he had it cracked within a couple of weeks now he just goes to the door a gives a single bark to tell you he needs to go out and when he comes back in he looks all proud of himself. lol

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down