puppy training start for puppies - help please

Go down

puppy training start for puppies - help please Empty puppy training start for puppies - help please

Post by Rusty Thu Oct 06 2011, 11:12

i realise the name, potty training and come here are the first on the list.

Slowly getting the come here right (but only if he is not playing with something or something or between the waking up and sleeping stage).

the name part,lol..... not sure, sometimes he will pick his head up, other times ignore you a bit, depends on him mostly.

potty training....... slowly but surely, lol...

but what about sit, stay, walk with a leash etc. (etc. meaning please give further tricks listing which can be taught to puppy Big Grin in this content) how old should he be for what, what comes first and in which order, tips, tricks, advice will be HIGHLY appreciated..... rusty is almost 7 weeks old, but full of energy every time he wakes up... Big Grin

thanks for your time and assistance in advance
Rusty
Rusty
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Rusty
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 7

Back to top Go down

puppy training start for puppies - help please Empty Re: puppy training start for puppies - help please

Post by Guest Thu Oct 06 2011, 11:21

Short periods of 5 minutes maximum, 2 or 3 times a day. From now. Big Grin

Try using treats (some cooked sausage or some of his regular food). Maybe even invest in a clicker & a good clicker training book?

To get him to respond to his name every time, have treats handy & every so often just say his name. If he looks at you, you treat him, if he doesn't then just ignore it and try again later.

The sit is usually the best one to start with & is the easiest! I then teach "Leave it!"

Stay is such a difficult one for any dog, but especially a pup - there are so many distractions & things they HAVE to do NOW! But if you do a couple of stays a day he'll get it soon enough.

The lead walking should be taken a little slower because you don't want him to dread the lead going on, it should be fun for him. Let him drag it round the house for a while & then just pick up the end & walk with your dog, wherever it wants to go. When he's used to that you can give a gentle tug so that he goes where you want him to go. Once you can walk him outside, if he pulls ahead, turn in the opposite direction & keep walking. When the lead tightens say "Heel" (or whatever word you ant to use) and give a gentle tug. You'll have to repeat this several times, but soon the pup'll be wondering what's coming next & will hang back a bit & watch you.

Good luck!

Back to top Go down

puppy training start for puppies - help please Empty Re: puppy training start for puppies - help please

Post by Rusty Thu Oct 06 2011, 11:26

thanks for that, appreciate it, lol, nowing myself it will be hard to pull back on teaching the tricks, so i just wanted to make sure that i am not pusing the puppy beyound its boundries, if anying, i want it to be as playfull as possible for him so that training sessions do not become a drag for him but rather just part of his having fun time Big Grin
Rusty
Rusty

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 06 2011, 11:30

Caryll wrote:Short periods of 5 minutes maximum, 2 or 3 times a day. From now. Big Grin

Try using treats (some cooked sausage or some of his regular food). Maybe even invest in a clicker & a good clicker training book?

To get him to respond to his name every time, have treats handy & every so often just say his name. If he looks at you, you treat him, if he doesn't then just ignore it and try again later.

The sit is usually the best one to start with & is the easiest! I then teach "Leave it!"

Stay is such a difficult one for any dog, but especially a pup - there are so many distractions & things they HAVE to do NOW! But if you do a couple of stays a day he'll get it soon enough.

The lead walking should be taken a little slower because you don't want him to dread the lead going on, it should be fun for him. Let him drag it round the house for a while & then just pick up the end & walk with your dog, wherever it wants to go. When he's used to that you can give a gentle tug so that he goes where you want him to go. Once you can walk him outside, if he pulls ahead, turn in the opposite direction & keep walking. When the lead tightens say "Heel" (or whatever word you ant to use) and give a gentle tug. You'll have to repeat this several times, but soon the pup'll be wondering what's coming next & will hang back a bit & watch you.

Good luck!

Very well put. Patience and consistency from everyone in the house all the time is all I can add.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 06 2011, 11:32

There's nothing wrong with teaching a few tricks - it can be fun and entertaining. Just make sure that the important things are taught as well!

P.S. A great book on training (funny but well informed & useful) is When Pigs Fly by Jane Killion. You could probably pick up a good 2nd hand copy off the internet & well worth the read!

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty Thu Oct 06 2011, 11:36

thanks, will try my best..... wil let you know if i hit a wall on something for further advice... thumbs up
Rusty
Rusty

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 06 2011, 11:43

Aw I remember the new puppy stage. It's so exciting and you want to teach them everything but you have to remember that they need lots of rest and get so distracted. Take it step by step with the tricks, make sure he has one properly before starting on the next. My boy can do sit, lay down, paw, both paw, high five, roll over, stay, off, come and leave. He caught on VERY quickly, but I always made sure he had one down perfect before starting the next cos I didnt want to overwhelm him. 'Brain training' is also important. You could try hiding something and making him sniff it out, Charlie's favourite is me lining a few tubs/cups up, putting a treat under one, him sniffing it out then me changing it round and him picking it out again. There's so many ways for you to have fun with your dog and for him to be stimulated at the same time. Enjoy, it goes by so fast. My pup is a year old today, and that time has absolutely FLOWN by! Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty Thu Oct 06 2011, 11:56

@shontelle, thanks for the hint on the brain training.... that one did slip me for some reason as well as the other tricks, i now have an idea what to do so will be paying close attention to him, lol, almost makes me wish it is December so i can spend allot of time with him, our company closes over the holiday for about three weeks so it will be all hands on deck with rusty.... first year i will be staying at home for the entire december so it will be great fun....
Rusty
Rusty

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 06 2011, 12:35

You'll have a blast with him. It's hard work too, but so worth it in the end. As long as you are patient and consistent at all times as jstaff says, he'll soon learn and will become your best friend. We're all here of you need some advice or to vent or to share or a chat Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty Thu Oct 06 2011, 12:42

thanks allot, really do appreciate it....... during the day he is at my dads house under my 16 year old brother's eye...... mmmmmmmm, note to self, give brother a nother death warning for if something happens, just to be safe....... at night he is back at our side of the yard for fun, games and loads of zzzzzzz ......
Rusty
Rusty

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 06 2011, 12:54

Aw sounds like you have it all figured out as to who is responsible for him and when. Just make sure that your brother knows what training methods you are using, what rules you have set for Rusty and make him stick to them as well. If you are trying to teach Rusty one way, and your brother tries to teach him another way, he'll just get confused.

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty Thu Oct 06 2011, 13:35

will do, thanks, my brother listens really well and i doubt that he will try to attempt doing something different to which rusty is used to, but my little suster who also lurks about (age 7 or 8 ) i dont know is where the problem lies, so my brother, lol, is assigned to make sure she does not go nuts with rusty praying
Rusty
Rusty

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 06 2011, 13:37

Rusty wrote:mmmmmmmm, note to self, give brother a nother death warning for if something happens,

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by Rusty Thu Oct 06 2011, 13:41

trust me, those warnings come in daily updates Big Grin Big Grin
Rusty
Rusty

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down