Training two puppies!!

4 posters

Go down

Training two puppies!!  Empty Training two puppies!!

Post by Brindlestaffy Fri Apr 29 2011, 22:45

My pups are both 8 week old and are biting everything, I have looked on the internet re stopping pups from biting hands and chewings things - most sites say to say "no" in a firm voice then walk away so the pup knows it's not going to get any attention from you. However, if I try this with my two little monkies as soon as I walk away they would just start play-fighting with each other!! Kinda defeats the object! lol one of them is starting to get the hang of not biting hands but the other just chews everything including me!

so, just wondered if anyone has ever trained two pups at once? If you have, do you have any tips or tricks for me? I seem to have a chewer and a digger and both just walk round copying each other! They are ever so funny but they are very tiring! I seem to be following them round all day saying no!
Brindlestaffy
Brindlestaffy
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Brock and Jeff :)
Dog Gender(s) : Brock - female, Jeff - male
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Training two puppies!!  Empty Re: Training two puppies!!

Post by janey Sat Apr 30 2011, 08:21

They sound like quite a handfull but ever so cute. I can't help with the training, wouldn't know where to start. I think its just being persistant and very patient and soon enough they will catch on. But with 2 playing off one another, its going to be hard work lol!! Any chance we can have some pics of them being little monkeys Big Grin
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by SkyBlue Sat Apr 30 2011, 10:01

Wow you're brave taking on two pups Wink A good one to remember is ignore the bad and reward the good, even saying 'no' can be negative reinforcement, distract them away with toys then reward. Good luck, they look very cute Smile
SkyBlue
SkyBlue
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Sky
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 30 2011, 10:02

gosh! You have got your work cut out for you haha, i thought and 11 weeks old and 10 month old was bad enough! I think to be honest it would be sooooo much eaiser to train separatley, i no from experience i could of never done mine both together. Obviously if u need to correct them both or what ever you will have to do it at the same time. I also found that if one was being bad and got told off or separated for time out the other would follow and think he was being told of as well so i really tried hard to praise the good behaviour as much as correct the bad and they both learnt off eachother. Good luck u will need it haha x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 01 2011, 14:58

The best thing i found when i was training Cassie pups is seperation only for a few minutes training basic things like sit,lay,recall etc and a little play for the pup to get excited and if they do the nip thing or any other bad behaivour correct it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun May 01 2011, 15:08

MissRogue wrote:The best thing i found when i was training Cassie pups is seperation only for a few minutes training basic things like sit,lay,recall etc and a little play for the pup to get excited and if they do the nip thing or any other bad behaivour correct it.

I would say that's the best way. Train seperately so that when they are together they will both know the commands, and what is or isn't acceptable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Aniemother Sun May 01 2011, 15:51

Yikes - two pups at once?! You brave soul! I have not much more to offer than what is already said, to try to separate them for training. Patience is the key, though, so even if they might take to things a bit slower since there's two of them you should get there in the end.

Also - if the "firm no" doesn't seem to do any good you could try the trick of yelping loud like another pup would. With our airedale we were taught by a trainer to growl like a dog at her when she bit, and to also encourage her to lick instead. So she would be praised for licking our hands etc.. You might think that would make licking an issue, but it was very easy to wean her off that once her urge to bite so much disappeared.
Aniemother
Aniemother

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Gaffa (SBT), Strips (BC) and Terex (AK)
Support total : 22

http://wrigglebutts.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down