Getting used to walking using a Halti.

2 posters

Go down

Getting used to walking using a Halti. Empty Getting used to walking using a Halti.

Post by four leaf clover Tue Sep 27 2011, 12:49

I just bought Clover and Diesel a halti each as it was getting pretty hard work walking all three if they saw a cat or some other distraction.

Clover mildly disliked it but was fine. However Diesel had a massive hissy fit!!!! lol

Anyway, one broken nail, one completely chewed through halti and 2 very tired dogs later.... I think we have cracked it! It was so nice to be able to walk them with so little effort (it was like walking puppies Smile ) It made the walk so much more enjoyable.

Has anyone got any other tips on how to get him to keep it on initially? I don't want to keep having to replace them as he will quickly chomp it to bits if he can get it over his nose!
four leaf clover
four leaf clover
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Getting used to walking using a Halti. Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Clover
Dog Gender(s) : 2 Females
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Getting used to walking using a Halti. Empty Re: Getting used to walking using a Halti.

Post by Guest Tue Sep 27 2011, 13:18

Never used one honestly just a collar and a harness. They seem to get used to anything over time though.

Back to top Go down

Getting used to walking using a Halti. Empty Re: Getting used to walking using a Halti.

Post by Scubasteve Tue Sep 27 2011, 13:24

We use one for Tinkerbell but trying to persuade her to wear a harness instead. She hates the halti but not as much as the harness, and I don't like it because so many people think she is one of those nasty staffies as she is wearing a "muzzle".

She does wear it though, with a lot of praise, but will also try and rub it off her nose by dragging her head on the grass! You could do as we are doing with the harness and allow them to wear it round the house/garden when distracted to get them used to it. And also might be worth checking to ensure it fits properly, if it is too big he will be able to get it off easily and therefore chew it. But if it fits properly it should be a while before he can get it off. Tinkerbell has to spend a good 5 minutes or so rubbing her head and rolling on the floor to pull it off. This gives me enough time to stop her pulling it off.
Scubasteve
Scubasteve
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Tinkerbell
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 34

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down