problems with axl

2 posters

Go down

Sad problems with axl

Post by axlbaby Wed Nov 09 2011, 19:52

ever since axl was a pup his hated certains me of his body been really touch he wont let us look in his mouth, ear, touch his paws or tail and his getting worse lately, a few months back had terrible trouble giving him antibiotics ended up with a really nasty stratch on my hand, and the night i was giving him and bath and every time i tried to wash his feet and then dry them he was really growling at turned at snaped at me, his never done that before and ive tried all i can thiink of to get him used to being touch but it seems to have to be on his terms
axlbaby
axlbaby
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : axl and skyla
Dog(s) Ages : 16 months ish and 3
Dog Gender(s) : male and female
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Sad Re: problems with axl

Post by janey Wed Nov 09 2011, 20:11

Mine is certainly not keen on her paws and mouth being touched, but its also important that you can. Try just gently touching abd stroking Axl when he is resting, just get him as used to it as you can, may never be brilliently comfortable but just a little will help Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 09 2011, 21:32

Persevere, just a little bit at a time. Have loads of treats handy, and set aside a few minutes a day. Pick up a paw, put it down & treat. Do that very briefly with all 4 paws, 3 or 4 times every day. Same with his ears & looking in his mouth. Just a little bit every day.

After a couple of weeks, you'll find that you've made excellent progress. He may never like being touched in those places, but he'll get used to it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 09 2011, 22:09

Caryll wrote:Persevere, just a little bit at a time. Have loads of treats handy, and set aside a few minutes a day. Pick up a paw, put it down & treat. Do that very briefly with all 4 paws, 3 or 4 times every day. Same with his ears & looking in his mouth. Just a little bit every day.

After a couple of weeks, you'll find that you've made excellent progress. He may never like being touched in those places, but he'll get used to it!

Agree they are very food motivated. Also we try to do grooming after exercise when Suki doesn't have any excess energy and is generally calmer.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 14 2011, 12:07

I touch/stroke Tyson's paws at every oppertunity, especially when he is lying next to me. When he comes in for a pet, I make a game of looking at his teath(lifting his cheeks to do so). This seems to work as he is great at the vet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down