Suki scared me tonight

3 posters

Go down

Suki scared me tonight Empty Suki scared me tonight

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19 2011, 20:07

I got back from work at around 2AM today. While I was taking my boots off in the other room she let out a kind of low bark and a growl. The first night I came home at an odd hour she was standing over the better half growling and barking and letting me know she was there and displeased with someone coming into the house so late. I figured that she had gotten used to this over the last week or so and realized that it was just me and went back to sleep. I couldn't have been more wrong Laughing

Now we have a fialry small house, about 750 square meteres and the door I walk through to get into the main room is about 6 meters from our bedroom. When I walked in I sensed a fast movement coming toward me at the same time I turned on a light switch. What I saw was a 25kg dog with her hackles raised so much she looked like a porqupine (sp sorry) teeth showing with obvious bad intentions >Smile . Since Suki is my little angel I simply said "Suki it's daddy" and hoped for the best. Her transformation was very amazing Laughing Her hackles went down and I was greeted with kisses and a wagging tail. Still scared the heck out of me though rolling on the floor

Basically I need to find a better way to come into the house at an odd hour. I'm leaning towards simply ringing the doorbell but the better half is an early riser Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Suki scared me tonight Empty Re: Suki scared me tonight

Post by janey Fri Aug 19 2011, 20:17

Maybe when you open the door, give her a whisper (call her). She will be aware that there is someone else around, and without waking Mrs Jstaff, a gentle murmour so that she knows its you might do the job. As you said as soon as she knows its you she is fine, and a very good protector. Xx
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19 2011, 20:26

Great protector indeed which makes me feel really comfortable. No more attempts to enter the house quietly at odd hours for me though. I do believe I'll be waking the Mrs. up the next week or so though just to make sure there are no issues Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Aug 19 2011, 20:32

Hope you've warned the Mrs to invest in some ear plugs Xx Smile
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19 2011, 20:36

what a good feeling though that mrs jstaff is protected if it wasnt you. just need to find a way to let her know when it is you!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19 2011, 20:42

janey wrote:Hope you've warned the Mrs to invest in some ear plugs Xx Smile

Already done that one Laughing Really small house though so it makes it difficult Laughing The better half is used to random schedules and lack of sleep as well Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19 2011, 20:43

nicolalouises wrote:what a good feeling though that mrs jstaff is protected if it wasnt you. just need to find a way to let her know when it is you!!!

I'm very, very pleased. with the small house I think I'll just be ringing the doorbell and turning the lights on for the next week or so until things go back to normal. Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 19 2011, 21:40

(Mrs. Jstaff: qoute)
Jstaff twisted the story a tiny bit. When he turned the door lock, Suki was already up growling which woke me up. When Suki started running towards Jstaff looking like a hedgehog, Jstaff made a quiet but intimidated voice "Suki!! Suki!! Suki!! Suki!! Suki!! Suki!!" sounded soooooo scared tongue

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 20 2011, 00:52

wow that would have been scary though!!!
so cool to know that she is protective at the right times though, if it were an intruder I bet they wouldn't have been so willing to hang around!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 20 2011, 01:51

she has probably been fast asleep and you spooked her when you came in

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 20 2011, 02:00

Good to know that Suki will do a great job if ( heaven forbid ) anybody other than yourself was to enter the house at night when Mrs Jstaff is home alone and sleeping. Suki is a good girl thumbs up

I'd be inclined to try what Janey said, quietly call Sukis name as you open the door.....and is there any chance you could place a lamp near the entrance and turn on when you come in ( this way it won't be tooooooo bright for Mrs Jstaff but enough so Suki can see who it is )

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 20 2011, 12:00

Every clicker has its own sound, so perhaps if you get her used to her own clicker perhaps when you enter a room you will click the clicker and reward. then in the night time when you are having your problems you can click the clicker as you enter and because each clicker has its own click, no one can try to copy your method. Atleast then you wont wake the missus up and wont get chewed on either lol
Also scent is very important to dogs teaching her to use her nose more than her earing and sight may also help, very senstive noses she can smell its you coming rather than ignore her nose and go by her eye and ears.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 20 2011, 12:47

MissRogue wrote: Also scent is very important to dogs teaching her to use her nose more than her earing and sight may also help, very senstive noses she can smell its you coming rather than ignore her nose and go by her eye and ears.

This is what I thought was strange as she should have recongnized my scent. We do fairly normal scent training and hide treats at random spots in the house and have her find them for mental stimulation. Not a big issue because I'll be back to normal hours in about a week Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Aug 20 2011, 14:23

Aww well at least you have nothing to worry about if it wasn't you coming through the door Smile but i agree with janey i think i'd say her name when you go through the door so she realises it's you!

Back to top Go down

Post by madeira264527 Mon Aug 22 2011, 00:52

Your dog Is Just protecting the house , Nothing to worry about , Just call the dogs name , Let them have sniff of you , And all should be fine!
madeira264527
madeira264527
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Keisha
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Aug 22 2011, 08:36

I would rattle your keys or something then call her softy "suki daddys home" and do it every time that way she will no its you x

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 26 2011, 13:20

Came home last night and tried to be as quiet as possible. Went into the main house and very quietly called her name. She jumped down from the bed and greeted me with the normal kisses and wagging of the tail Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by janey Fri Aug 26 2011, 13:25

thumbs up great stuff Xx
janey
janey

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Aug 26 2011, 13:35

janey wrote: thumbs up great stuff Xx

Sure beats the AmStaff in full I'm gonna protect my house mode Laughing

Back to top Go down

Post by appollo13102000 Fri Aug 26 2011, 13:39

my son calls ruby the ninja protector because she dos'nt bark she just launches at intruders murfy barks so we know someone is there but no one can get in without us letting them in and if they do there own fault if they go out minus vital parts. shes big softee but protects her home and humans.
appollo13102000
appollo13102000

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : ruby/ nigel
Dog(s) Ages : 9 and 7ish
Dog Gender(s) : female/male
Support total : 28

Back to top Go down