jshrew
goldie87
Mark
durbster
9 posters

Go down

Scared of the harness Empty Scared of the harness

Post by durbster Fri Jan 04 2013, 13:14

I wondered if any of you more experience dog owners could help with this one. We got Mia a harness early on to stop her choking herself when out and about and she soon got used to it and would happily lift a paw so you could put it on. Smile

As she got older I stopped bothering with it for walks and only put it on to hook it up to the seatbelt in the car, but my Mum walks her every day in the week and she continued to use the harness.

In the last couple of months however, Mia seems to have developed a fear of the harness and a few weeks ago started to flinch at the noise of the clip clicking into place.

We bought her a new, more comfortable harness as the previous one was leaving her chest red but it's made no difference. It's got to the point now where she walks off and hides when I get the harness out, and she starts shaking seemingly with fear.

Once it's on, she's fine. raised eyebrows

There's nothing we can think of that happened to her while in the harness or when putting it on so we're baffled.

I know the simple solution is to not use it at all but it is really useful at times and I'm curious to get to the bottom of it in case we've done something wrong along the way.

Any ideas?
durbster
durbster
Loyal Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Mia
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 12

Back to top Go down

Scared of the harness Empty Re: Scared of the harness

Post by Mark Fri Jan 04 2013, 13:30

Has she had a bad experience while either having the harness put on or while its on etc. Can't think of any other reason for the fear
Mark
Mark
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Miley and Dylan
Dog(s) Ages : 2 and a half and 2
Dog Gender(s) : female/ Male
Support total : 464

Back to top Go down

Post by durbster Fri Jan 04 2013, 13:42

Not as far as we know. She hasn't really had many bad experiences at all really, but she is quite a nervous dog by nature (we've no idea why - she's spoilt rotten Big Grin).

She does shake quite regularly I suppose so I may be misinterpreting that part, but she certainly makes herself scarce when she spots the harness and I basically have to corner her to put it on.

The only similar reaction is when confronted with going down the spiral staircase at work, but I can kind of understand that one as she can't see where it goes.
durbster
durbster

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Fri Jan 04 2013, 13:46

Zeus absolutely hates his harness. Whenever I clip his lead to his collar, he's fine, but once the harness comes out, he tries everything to get away it, he bites it, doesn't let me put his head into it, etc.

I figured this is because I have way more control over him with the harness and he doesn't like it?

But as you said, once the harness is on, he's fine and doesn't give it a second thought.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by jshrew Fri Jan 04 2013, 13:46

Ledger does similar but he disliked the car and got so bad plain refusing to get in the boot that I have made the back seat his space but he needs to be on the harness else he would be in the front with me he now happily gets into the car but shakes when he sees the harness
jshrew
jshrew
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Moderator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Ledger and Maple
Dog(s) Ages : 7 and 2
Dog Gender(s) : Male and Female
Support total : 209

Back to top Go down

Post by goldie87 Fri Jan 04 2013, 14:06

jshrew wrote:Ledger does similar but he disliked the car and got so bad plain refusing to get in the boot that I have made the back seat his space but he needs to be on the harness else he would be in the front with me he now happily gets into the car but shakes when he sees the harness

Zeus doesn't like getting into my car either, hes always had the back seats, but he just doesn't like the idea of not having control in the car, especially when I'm going round a bend or roundabouts etc.
goldie87
goldie87

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Zeus
Dog(s) Ages : 12
Support total : 164

Back to top Go down

Post by Kathy Fri Jan 04 2013, 14:54

Have you had Mia ears checked by the vet, this could be the cause of the fear of the harness, the noise the clips make. It is a rather strange noise anyway that alone if you have a problem with your ear. This is just a guess as to the cause of the problem.
Kathy
Kathy

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Married
Dogs Name(s) : Rocky
Dog(s) Ages : 5 Years Old
Dog Gender(s) : Male & a bit of a tart
Support total : 4006

Back to top Go down

Post by debtom Fri Jan 04 2013, 16:17

Caley is also scared of her harness, she runs behind the settee, luckily she doesn't shake just lays down and sulks. However, once the harness is on she runs to the door and is happy as larry Big Grin
debtom
debtom
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Scared of the harness Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Caley
Dog(s) Ages : Born 2 April 2012
Support total : 18

Back to top Go down

Post by zoe2004 Fri Jan 04 2013, 16:33

Benson runs away from his harness and collar when he hears or see's it but once its on his fine.

He was good at first use to give paw to put it on, once i changed to next size up it started. I have tried 4 diffent makes of harness since.

He still runs but i think Xtra dog is best for him as its fleece and soft so doesnt rub.

His getting better as time goes by
zoe2004
zoe2004

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Benson
Dog(s) Ages : 03/06/12
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

Post by Taz Fri Jan 04 2013, 16:50

If you cant think of an isolated incident .. I have no idea, other than

Ive actualy had this issue with Taz (collar&harness) and the only difference was the vibes she was picking up in the house from my bad mood through being in physical pain... few calm days and praise reward when getting it out or near her and all Is fine again!! Smile
Taz
Taz
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Scared of the harness Top_ra10

Status Status :

Female
Relationship Status : Single
Dogs Name(s) : 'lil Miss Taz Devil Demoania ~ TAZ
Dog(s) Ages : 31:05:2011
Dog Gender(s) : She's a lady, a tinker, a beauty, an a real b!tch
Support total : 27

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 04 2013, 21:39

If she is flinching at the sound of the clip she maybe had her skin caught in it by mistake, i know i have done this on lexi when im not paying attention (and shes been a little fatter than the last time shes had it on!) and im sure it hurts like hell!

Just take it slow with her, put the harness on, but don't clip it, then treat and take it off again and repeat until shes 100%

Back to top Go down

Post by Gabbiadini Wed Jan 09 2013, 20:37

debtom wrote:Caley is also scared of her harness, she runs behind the settee, luckily she doesn't shake just lays down and sulks. However, once the harness is on she runs to the door and is happy as larry Big Grin
Sounds exactly the same as Gabbi, except she runs to the top of the stairs and lies sulking Laughing

Once it's on, she's fine... they're not scared at all, just messing us about!
Gabbiadini
Gabbiadini
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Support total : 6

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 09 2013, 21:11

I would just practice putting it on and off until she is comfortable. You could also try leaving it in view so that she sees it more often.

Back to top Go down

Post by durbster Sun Jan 20 2013, 19:55

Just a quick update on this in case it helps others. We did what some of you suggested and over the last few weeks have eased her back into the harness and it's no longer a problem. Smile

Scared of the harness 20130119_114654

We started by simply taking it out of the box and letting her sniff it, then moved on to putting it on her back but not fastening it before finally she was happy enough to come over to have it attached.

She still flinches a little at the noise but that seems to be fading too so there's no real dramas any more.

Thanks for the good advice Smile
durbster
durbster

Status Status :

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jan 21 2013, 08:41

Logan runs as soon as he hears me getting his lead/collar or harness. Mainly because he isn't a big fan of walking in general, even though he gets walked everyday, he could happily go without!

I just sit down with the harness and wait for him to come to me. Even though it takes a while sometimes. If I was to walk over to put it on he would run and it would become a game.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down