A couple of questions :)

2 posters

Go down

A couple of questions :) Empty A couple of questions :)

Post by Cody Mon Jul 25 2011, 10:11

Hi guys Smile just a few questions about our little terror Cody...

Sexual maturity: What age does this usually start to come about? Cody is only 4 months on 1st Aug but he is getting very 'randy' for want of a better word and his 'lipstick' is coming out an awful lot. (So embarrasing when he's with the in laws Laughing ) and I just wanted to check he was 'normal'. All the other male dogs we've had have never really been like that till just before they had the snip at around 6 months old. We are getting him neutered at 6 months though so it will stop then anyway.

Rash: I think Cody may have developed nappy rash (I know it sounds wierd!) but saturday night he must have peed as soon as we went to bed (even though he had already been let out and done pees and poops) and therefore was lying in it all night and this morning when I fed him and washed him I noticed he has like a ezcma like rash on his belly. Shall I take him to the vets to get it checked out or is there a dog oinment that I can get him to help it heal. I think it must be the pee thats done it, looks just like nappy rash

Thank you in advance!
Cody
Cody
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member
Super Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Cody
Dog Gender(s) : Male
Support total : 0

Back to top Go down

A couple of questions :) Empty Re: A couple of questions :)

Post by janey Mon Jul 25 2011, 10:29

I'm not sure on the male thing as I have only had girls but I think from some of the stories and pics!!! on here that yes it is very normal, they seem to like it to all hang out if you know what I mean Laughing

For the rash I have always used sudacrem, its very soothing and funnily enough is for nappy rash! Hope this helps Smile
janey
janey
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Moo
Dog(s) Ages : 5ish
Dog Gender(s) : Girly
Support total : 4824

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Jul 25 2011, 10:32

Firstly, is there a particular reason you want him to be castrated at 6 months? My own opinion (and I must stress that it is just my opinion) is that you should wait until a dog is fully mature before neutering - that's physically and mentally mature.

For a stafford this would mean about 18 months+. Sexually, it's any time after their testicles fully drop. They all differ, though, and some may display signs of sexual awareness earlier than others.

The rash could be a reaction to the urine. As long as he doesn't seem 'off' at all, and is eating/drinking normally, I wouldn't worry the vets yet. Try bathing the area with boiled & cooled water & see if that helps, or if it's a small area Sudocrem could help. It could also be a reaction to something else - nettles or grass sap for example. If that's the case, half a Piriton tablet should help.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down