Couple of Questions

2 posters

Go down

Couple of Questions Empty Couple of Questions

Post by Guest Fri Feb 08 2013, 08:32

Sorry for my constant random questions Tongues but you never know unless you ask. Loki's got the runs at the moment and I'm thinking it's because of the raw eggs I'd given him. I've been wanting to switch him to a raw diet, but obviously the less stress on his stomach the better. How do you introduce them to all of these new things (raw chicken, raw lamb, beef, fish, eggs, etc., etc.) without it upsetting their stomach? He's only had a couple of eggs and it seems to have upset his stomach, so should I have done it more slowly, or is it normal? The only thing I can give him that I know doesn't bother his stomach are chicken wings. So just looking for some advice on making that transition easier for him. Unless it sounds like he just doesn't tolerate eggs well.

Also, he hates liver. I mean HATES it. Would I still be able to try him on the raw food diet, or is it too important for him to have liver?

Back to top Go down

Couple of Questions Empty Re: Couple of Questions

Post by Guest Fri Feb 08 2013, 08:37

I can't imagine that the eggs have given him the runs. It's more likely that he just has a bug. Starve him for 24 hours & see if that helps.

The offal doesn't have to be liver, it can be kidneys, spleen etc. Liver is a very strong taste and a lot of dogs have trouble with it.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 08 2013, 08:52

Yeah, maybe it's a bug. Just that he usually reacts that way when I give him something new to try (except the chicken wings), so I automatically assumed it was that. Thanks, Caryll Big Grin

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 08 2013, 09:25

After starving him (as long as that settles his tum) get him back on chicken for a week or so. Then gradually introduce the next protein (I'd do lamb next, but it's up to you) a bit at a time. Once he's ok with lamb for about a month, gradually switch over to beef. That should get his system used to the different proteins without upsetting his stomach.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jackieb Fri Feb 08 2013, 09:45

My 2 have a spoon of natural probiotics goats milk yogurt with their breakfast every morning, helps healthy bacteria in the intestines... And they love it.
Jackieb
Jackieb
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator
Staffy-Bull-Terrier Donator

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Diesel & Tank
Dog(s) Ages : Diesel - May 2011. Tank - March 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Girl & Boy
Support total : 245

Back to top Go down

Post by StuW Fri Feb 08 2013, 13:18

Bailey and Sierra won't touch offal unless its dried Laughing

I've started putting liver and kidney in ice cube trays and freezing it then cutting it up pretty small while still frozen and mixing it through tripe mince so they can't smell it and they eat it fine Big Grin
StuW
StuW
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : Bailey, Sierra
Dog(s) Ages : 8th Sep 2011, 12th Sept 2012
Dog Gender(s) : Male, Female
Support total : 154

Back to top Go down