New puppy advice?

4 posters

Go down

New puppy advice? Empty New puppy advice?

Post by Louise C Thu Jul 21 2011, 12:38

No, I havn't got a new puppy yet, just exploring all the posibilities before I do, as I am itching to add to my doggie family and get Lola a playmate.

Lola will be 11 months on the 28th and boy has it gone fast. She is in a routine and is dry in the house apart from the odd accident.

So, I am concerned that maybe having a puppy will make Lola revert back to soiling in the house?

For those that added another dog in your opinion did the elder dog help with the puppy or hinder if you know what I mean?

As Lola is all settled and a lovely dog, will adding a puppy change her personality?

I know you cannot say for sure what Lola will be like, but I would just like your input on the doo's and don'ts of adding a pup.

I want to do everything right and not regret getting another dog.

So all the advice you can give would be great on getting another dog.

I will be getting a male staffie, but wondering whether or not to rescue or to buy as a pup?

I have been in touch with a lovely lady that rescues staffie's by where I live, she said obviously a home check would be done and then the dogs would meet and see how they get along. She also mentioned there would be loads of support and that even after 10 years if there were problems she would take the dog back into her care. she also offered me training for the dog, which i thought was really helpful.

So I just don't know what to do.

But what ever I do I want it to be right for myself and especially for Lola as she must come first.

Thanks in advance for info. Smile
Louise C
Louise C
Staffy-Bull-Terrier VIP Member

Status Status :

Female
Dogs Name(s) : Lola
Dog Gender(s) : Female
Support total : 3

Back to top Go down

New puppy advice? Empty Re: New puppy advice?

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 12:50

The lady you've spoken to sounds as though she knows what she's doing!

I doubt that getting a pup would change Lola's personality, and it shouldn't make her revert to soiling the house - if anything, she'll be able to help the pup to get to know where it should go!

Obviously you have to make the final decision & nobody on here can really tell you if that decision is right, but if the two dogs get on well, and you think you can cope with 2, then go for it!

Back to top Go down

Post by Louise C Thu Jul 21 2011, 12:53

Thanks Caryll.

Well I am going to at least look at the dogs that this lady has rfescued, she has a dog called Tye who is 2 years old and quite boisterous, which i like.

It won't hurt just to look and take Lola along, I won't be obligagted, I will just have to keep balanced and take my time.

But I'm excited I have to admit haha.

It will be like going shopping when your hungry, don't do it Big Grin
Louise C
Louise C

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 15:13

I don't see why you shouldn't get another pup as long as you know you can cope then go for it. I no we plan on getting another pup but not until harv is about 18 months just to make things abit easier with training the pup Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 15:34

If the dogs get along well I don't see an issue. I know my OH very much wants a bulldog. As long as you are cautious there shoun't be a problem.If you can handle two they will can make great playmates.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 17:52

i added a new pup into my house and vinnie still isnt even one .. vinnie was a very good trained pup, knew the right from wrong, knew house training, walked well on the lead, very well behaved etc etc.
When we added skye NOTHING changed Smile .. the ONLY thing that did change was there was 2 pups in my living room playing lmao.
Skye learnt sit and paw just by watching vinnie and by the 3rd week of having her she was doing it to get her food etc Smile.
They both walk amazingly well next to each other on there walks, so well i can walk them both on one hand with no problems.
i will say one thing tho'! .. dont let the puppy off with things that lola would not be allowed to do, alot of people have a puppy and say oh but they are to cute to be firm with (best time to be honest).
Skye has been getting toilet trained (almost completely there odd accident here and there) and if she isnt told that peeing on the floor in the kitchen is a no then vinnie thinks well why can she and i cant? and then pee's too.
they both are loved equally an treated equally that way there is no jelousy between them.

I have just noticed you are only in solihull, we should have a lola, vinnie, skye meet!! haha .. skye is a lil pup mayb would be great for her to hang with a littlen

Back to top Go down

Post by Louise C Thu Jul 21 2011, 18:12

Thanks Kelly, lots of good advice there.

Yes not far from Birmingham, so a meet with the doggies would be a great idea, we will have to sort something out.

I would like to see how she would be with a puppy.

I have noticed from our walks that with bigger boisterous dogs she just goes straight into submission and lies on her back the wuss lol, but with smaller dogs I think she has more confidence and terrorises them Big Grin but as soon as they chase her she's off, it's funny to watch.
Louise C
Louise C

Status Status :

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 21 2011, 18:28

no problem Smile .. Brill, we will have to organise something yep! Big Grin .. My two dont go off lead yet still working on that but they do have long leads so they can run along with her no probs Smile.
Haha vinnie was always like that lol, he acts the big man infront of skye lmao

Back to top Go down

Post by JoNaThAn Fri Jul 22 2011, 17:55

Big Grin Big Grin i thought i would have same problem. first thing i did was get the wife
to walk pup past each other 20 25 times then just walked in the back yard both on leash walked around pretended that little one was not there
praising my older one then swaping to the other. 2 weeks know and there
unseprable. and i never socialized her prior.it was my own fear holding me back.
JoNaThAn
JoNaThAn
Mega Staffy-bull-terrier Member

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : MADAMAMOISELLE & ZEUS
Dog Gender(s) : 1 female and 1 male

http://jonath.consta@gmail.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 22 2011, 18:12

Its always in the back of your mind isn't it, the "oh god this isn't gonna work :/" and they proove you wrong lol .. My 2 are insperable too, to the point they cry for each other if not together lol god help me when skye goes in for her spaying lol

Back to top Go down

Post by giblet Sat Jul 23 2011, 12:25

getting a new pup is always good but you do have to remember that to young dogs will want to play and play alot if you think you can handle that then go for it
giblet
giblet
"Top Rank" Staffy-bull-terrier Member
New puppy advice? Top_ra10

Status Status :

Male
Dogs Name(s) : harley
Dog Gender(s) : male
Support total : 4

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jul 23 2011, 16:50

there is some great advice above. I have a 12 year old desexed male Jethro and we got a puppy .. he is now 17 weeks old Winston, and will be desexed too.
yes it is harder work with 2.. you have to make sure you share your love around.....but it is worth it. Luckily Jethro is a lovely placid old boy.. a lover not a fighter.. but one thing is that I would never leave them alone together as my Jethro is old and puney and young Winston is strong and ready to take on the world, and I would hate for Winston to accidentally hurt Jethro as he plays rough ! Winston has picked up alot of Jethro's good habits like travelling in the car....he is excellent, and just sits there like Jethro does. So it has it's advantages for sure !!

Back to top Go down

Post by madeira264527 Thu Jul 28 2011, 07:00

I Have A Friend Of Mine Hes Staffordshire Bull Terrier Breeder, And Also He Rescues Staffys Untill They Find A New Home, He Says To me It Depends, Sometimes The Dog Thats Already There Before New Dog Comes, It Can Change Personality, But Just fair Firm Hand With All New Dogs Is Needed, Meaning If Old Dog Turns Like New Dog, If New Dog Not Properly Toilet Trained You could Have To Go Back To Basics With Training With All The Dogs, Another Thing Beware Of, Is There Might Be Abit Of Fighting The Old Dogs May Take Time Accepting New Dog Part Of The Pack ( Part Of The Family ) Oviously Alot Of That Depends On Your Current Dogs In Your Household Temperment, But It Can Still Happen With The Most Calmest Of Dogs, There Just Been Dogs, Dont Be To Worried If They Fight, ONLY! Intervene If Gets Nasty, Because The New Dog Needs To Know Its Place In The Pack, Hope This Is Of Some Help To You, By Old Dogs I mean Your Current Dogs You Have In Your Household, Before You Get The New Dog, If You End Up getting It .
madeira264527
madeira264527

Status Status :

Dogs Name(s) : Keisha
Support total : 1

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down